Photo
- - - - -

Buying used Hawk - please help us pack for first trip!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:16 AM

Read the manual?  What kind of advice is that?!?!?!    :)

#22 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:39 AM

There are a couple mentions on here about having the door open when lowering the top.  I find it better to have the door closed and the fantastic fan running on full exhaust mode, this helps to suck the sides in so that I don't have to make a trip around the camper lifting the top and tucking in fabric.

As always YMMV.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#23 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:09 AM

gallery_5772_2_184174.jpg

Given that you will be traveling with your family and you want to camp.  You probably want to spend as little time loading the camper as possible.  You can basically do everything before you head on your trip.

This is what I did when I loaded my camper in an RV sales parking lot.  I made a 7 pin connector to wire the campers electrical.  I used the internal tie down points in my truck bed to secure the camper.

If I were to do things again, I would contact FWC before the trip.  They will send you the exact measurements where to install your eyebolts fro your truck.  Eyebolts are affordable and you can have this part done properly before you leave for your trip.  You can also ensure that you have the correct length for your truck box.  You can also do it on a nice day and not feel rushed.

You can also have your 7 pin to Atwood 3 pin connector fabricated before you go.  At least fabricate the 7 pin end, you can always tie into the camping wiring in less than 10 minutes.  Bring wire cutters and quick connects.

Just transfer the camper, plug in, install your turn buckles and go.

As mentioned earlier have a few extension links for the turnbuckles.  I would also bring ratchet straps just incase.

Also bring a test light and multimeter and extra fuses just in case.

On the camping end, I would bring a small tent.  You can throw all your bags and stuff you are not using in there and keep the camper clean.

Edited by Bill D, 03 May 2016 - 03:12 AM.

#24 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:11 AM

Good advice about how to bring the top down.  I think our rough plan is to stay in campgrounds on the way home.  Will only be 3 or 4 nights, outside nashville, great smoky mountains, then somewhere along the blue ridge and possible one more in northern VA before being home Monday before lunchtime.

This will hopefully be a nice little shakedown run to get a good idea of things.

Any more comments on the bedding?  I think my wife is leaning towards proper bed clothing that she can leave setup and ready to go. 

#25 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:16 AM

Bill - the truck has already been to the local FWC dealer out towards Philly to get the camper install package, so I have the eye-bolts installed as per spec and the wiring ready.   

Incidentally, how easy is it to access the top of the camper and to move the Thule rack?    We are planning to bring a Thule box with a lot of our gear since the truck bed will be out in the elements for the trip down. 

The Hawk has the full Yakima rack system but no rear wall steps.  The cross bars appear to currently be spread about as far apart as possible forward and aft.

#26 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:22 AM

It's not easy to adjust the racks without the use of a ladder.

You could use a picnic table in a pinch... and turn the truck around a couple times.

Being you will be loading the camper this gives you the opportunity to lower the camper on the jacks all the way and make your adjustments before you raise it back up to load it into your truck.

Once it's loaded in your truck I wouldn't plan on adjusting them without a ladder unless you are a monkey.

BTW bring allen keys.  They also may be a bit stiff to slide, being there is 2 years worth of dirt in the tracks.

Edited by Bill D, 03 May 2016 - 03:24 AM.

#27 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:20 PM

FWC publishes and posts on-line a comprehensive set of owner instructions/manuals on using their campers.  Plus each appliance has an owners manual that FWC posts; or, you can go to the manufacturers website for the manuals.

FWC manuals and instructions...online.   I assumed you already knew this.  Lots of "should knows and must knows" to avoid minor and serious screw ups.

Phil 

#28 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, Calif

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:55 PM

FWC publishes and posts on-line a comprehensive set of owner instructions/manuals on using their campers.  Plus each appliance has an owners manual that FWC posts; or, you can go to the manufacturers website for the manuals.

FWC manuals and instructions...online.   I assumed you already knew this.  Lots of "should knows and must knows" to avoid minor and serious screw ups.

Phil 

With a small glass, some ice and a little Pyrat Rum..all things begin to gel

after 71 years......it all starts somewhere...usually the best place ;)

By the way...Wallowa...I may get up your way this next year...to fish some kok's

Edited by Rusty, 03 May 2016 - 10:56 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#29 Myfotos

Myfotos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationIn my womb with a view

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:46 PM

I found that having the door closed but the Fantastic fan blowing air out helped pull the sides in when lowering the top.  Is that something I shouldn't do?  Also, as a precaution to something accidentally getting turned on, such as the outside lights, I've turned off the electricity and flipped the light switch to make sure it's off.

2007 Tacoma with 2015 Fleet shell

#30 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:15 AM

Hey, I don't mean to be negative at all, and certainly not condescending since I do not consider myself Mr. Camper. Somehow this all seems a bit of an over-the-top dialog, especially for a person who was tent camping for a long period of time and is going on a mere 4-day trip. What in the world could go wrong other than a few minor inconveniences that are all part of the 'adventure" of getting out there in your new camper.  For heaven's sake, as compared to tent camping, you are moving UP in terms of planning for survival. 

Go for it.  Risk the adventure.  Don't think for a moment you have all bases covered because there are suprises around all corners.

I.E....have fun with the ADVENTURE of the unkown.

Chris

Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users