Photo
- - - - -

Buying used Hawk - please help us pack for first trip!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:13 AM

post-6644-14625876779587_thumb.jpg
Baby is asleep up top. Mom and I sitting by the fire with a cold one.

Your son is very skinny, or is he sleeping in the Thule carrier :P

Have a great trip.  Your Hawk looks great!

Edited by Bill D, 07 May 2016 - 04:10 AM.

#42 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:45 PM

We keep him in the Thule box when he is crying. Don't worry I poked some air holes in the side :)

The 2" riser is a bit taller than need be. Looks like I can probably remove it and just scab some 3/4" strips to the bottom of the camper when we get home. I'm thinking a half inch or so clearance b/w the bed rails and the bottom of the camper would be sufficient?

ImageUploadedByWander The West1462632322.940984.jpg

ImageUploadedByWander The West1462632336.060122.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#43 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:41 PM

Note your cab to overhand spacing, keep some clearance for flexing.

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#44 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:04 PM

Obligatory bugs on the logo shot!

ImageUploadedByWander The West1462748662.548456.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#45 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:38 AM

1st impressions of the FWC?

Curious because my wife & I are driving 19 hrs. (one way) to pick up our new Hawk next weekend :). Stoked!

We found this thread very useful to prepare for our 1st excursion..

#46 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:50 AM

I just washed off the bug collection from my 5800 mile inagural journey (so far) in my new-to-me Hawk.  Seems I should have taken a photo :-). Too late now.  Starting the next leg from Florida back to Seattle.  New camper is always fun. This is my 3rd so far.  Like a new boat (too many to count...)

Edited by K7MDL, 20 May 2016 - 03:52 AM.

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#47 Rogue Juan

Rogue Juan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:35 PM

I live out of my FWC Fleet with indoor shower sometimes 6 days a week. In the year that I've had it, I've used it 90+ days. I've found the insulation package reallly helps on cold nights. If your fridge runs off propane, you will go through propane faster & will need both tanks for heating & the stove, as well. If your fridge only runs off solar batteries or shore power, the solar is inefficient on rainy or overcast days. You will either need to charge your batteries by running the engine for 1/2 an hour or hooking up to shore power, if you want to run the furnace at night beyond a 3 day stay. A rechargeable camp light & a flashlight are good backups to conserve power.

If you add a 2 or 3" foam topper to the bed, you will need to remove it to clamp down the camper.

I use a collapsible 5 gal water cube from a sporting goods store & a hose for grey water. I found a rechargeable lighter for lighting the stove invaluable. If you have a digital thermostat, carry spare batteries. Camp towels work great for showering. I use a polyester cooling towel for wiping down condensation from the ceiling & open the vents while parked to dry everything out. Make sure you get deodorizer for the port-a-potty, toilet paper & wipes. An Aeropress works great for making coffee. As others have stated, flush the fresh water tanks, before refilling. A collapsible step stool helps in both getting into & out of the camper and climbing up & down from the bed. An outdoor rug will keep the floor clean. If a white fresh water hose, a filter, & water pressure valve are not included, buy them. Don't waste your money on a Good Sam Club membership, unless you're buying a lot of stuff from Camping World. Learn how to operate the water heater & pump. The fridge works fine on a 2 setting in the winter & a 4 setting in the summer.

Most of all, don't sweat the small stuff & enjoy your travels.

#48 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:48 PM

You will be one very happy camper. Best thing in the world for seeing it!

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#49 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:27 AM

Thanks for bumping this thread. All good info! Happy to report we are now onto our second hawk, this one is a shell that I built out to accommodate our specific needs, and have had over 100 nights in the camper after about 3 years of ownership. My boys are 3 and 1 so very happy to have spent so much time outside and on trips with the family! My wife loves the camper and I know we wouldn’t have spent near as much time on adventures without having something so accommodating and quick and easy to setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users