#1 kinotherapy

kinotherapy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOside

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:43 AM

Hey ya'll,

New here. Buying a new camper to go on a 2006 Tundra DC 4x4. I am going to install airbags, sway bar and bilstein shocks. Expensive but necessary. Next is the price and quality of the camper to choose.

I have been doing a ton of research on the FWC-Hawk and ATC-Ocelot. Both will be outfitted with the same items and after Taxes, mounting and possible delivery fees, I am at a $5,000 difference. Besides the price difference and the commonly used term that FWC is "Guccii" and ATC is outdated, can someone please share any stories of current Hawk and Ocelot models that will aid me in my decision.

My biggest concern is quality and longevity of the product. I understand that both have great customer service and obviously one is bigger than the other. My travels will span over many years and will be from Baja to Canada and mostly west of the Rockies.

I look forward to read your advice and experiences. 

#2 gary515

gary515

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Oregon

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:32 PM

I took delivery of a ATC Ocelot last month. It is mounted on my 2001 Tundra. It is my second ATC camper. I bought a ATC Bobcat in 2013 for the same truck. I had visited both FWC and ATC prior to going with ATC. I thought both were nice but went with ATC because of the price difference and I liked the smaller operation (they only have five employees as opposed to an assembly line operation at FWC). The wife and I enjoyed the Bobcat but then had some major health issues. I sold the Bobcat and after fixing the health issues realized we missed the camper. 

We ordered an ATC Ocelot this time as it fits the first Gen Tundra better in the bed. We gained about 8 in. of inside floor space (I have to say I kinda miss the outside wheel well storage space I lost when I had the Bobcat). ATC offers two widths for the Ocelot. We went with the 72" as it is same as the Bobcat and I like the fact my stock mirrors are fine and I don't have a lot of hangover sticking out from the rails. As far as options we went with a two way Dometic fridge instead of the three way we had on the Bobcat. We don't do much boondocking and usually hook up to shore power. We have a 12000 BTU heather that ATC uses now (the Bobcat had a 16000 BTU) and the 12000 runs very quiet and heats well. We had it wired for solar (plug on top and side). It has a sink and the standard two burner stove.

When we had the Bobcat (which weighed 925 lbs dry weight) the only upgrade to the suspension to the 2001 Tundra were Timbrens. It drove fine and handled well for us but we didn't do much off road driving. I do think I had about an inch or so bed sag. The Ocelot weighs approx 1000 lbs dry so I added a Helix Add-A-Leaf. The Ocelot rides great with the Timbrens and extra leaf. We have the standard shocks and tires.

I am very pleased with ATC's quality. I have checked carefully and I can't find any flaws. Every screw is perfect. As others have said they are great to deal with and will listen and build what you want. Good luck with your new camper, whatever brand you choose.

#3 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

I'd be curious to know what your build looks like that the price difference is $5000. But I was doing my research the pricing difference seemed negligible.

Also, where are you located? Four wheels dealer network, while certainly not extensive, can be a big bonus for those of us not located in Cali.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:58 PM

I usually recommend customers seriously comparing both brands get a same day, round trip flight out to Sacramento if at all possible.

When you are going to spend $ 20,000+ on a new camper sight unseen, I don't think you are doing yourself justice trying to look at a few pictures on a website or talking to a sales person on the phone. Go see for yourself.     :)

For a two or three hundred dollars, you can probably get a same day, round trip plane ticket and see both showrooms / factories on the same afternoon.

The products might look similar on-line, but there is becoming a world of difference between the 2 products as the years move forward.

There are customers for each style of product. But you won't really know what you like, or what each camper is really about without getting inside the camper to see what you like or don't about the product.

Good luck with your camper purchase, whatever direction you decide to go. Both companies build some nice campers. The main thing is that you are happy with your purchase and that you can find the time to get out there and use it.

:)

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:35 AM

Well said Stan. Before I retired I started looking for a used camper in 2008. Any thing good under 8K sold before we could look at it. I did as Stan suggested and visited both FWC and ATC on the same day. At that time I was going to order an ATC if I could not find used. Got really lucky and found a 2002 Hawk. Liked it so much except for the short cab over. 2014 found a 2013 Hawk shell 6 months old. Got it and sold the 2002 Hawk for a profit. Both are great campers but I preferred the new features FWC has gone to.

What ever you decide on you will find great information here on WTW.

#6 kinotherapy

kinotherapy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOside

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:25 PM

Thank You guys for the advice. I have been searching for many years for the right deal. I gave up and was ready to purchase a new camper. I had decided that I would go with my original dream of a FWC Hawk. That same week I found a used Hawk in my neck of the woods. I then found a used 2012 Hawk in amazing condition 6 hours away. I am pleased to be a new owner of a used 2012 Hawk. Stay tuned for pics. All that waiting payed off.

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:55 AM

Congrats.

Pictures we need pictures

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hawk, Ocelot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users