• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:11 PM

This has been the condition of my camper since I can remember.  I picked it up in November 2015 and didn't pay that much attention to the top for a few weeks maybe.  I assume because it is aluminum it is difficult to bend and fit and there will be minor dents and what-not, but figured I'd ask if everyone else's is the same.  Do you have minor gaps where the roof and sides don't fit seamlessly?  I have these gaps all around the camper where the roof meets the sides.  Could there be an issue of water intrusion?

Attached Thumbnails

• FWC Roof.jpg
  • FWC Roof 2.jpg

#2 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:22 PM

I noticed similar spots in several places on my May 2014 build.  I figured they were primarily cosmetic, but it didn't stop me from filling them in with a bit of Sikaflex when I was doing a solar installation.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#3 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:35 PM

I thought it might be cosmetic too, but since I've had it less than a year I figured I should find out if it's a warranty issue.  I had a trailer that leaked terribly and cost me a bundle to fix (even under warranty, I had to pay for a portion).

#4 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

I'll take a closer look at mine today.

I don't think it is "normal".  That being said, it would be extremely difficult to make every unit perfect.

I'll report back later today.

Edited by Bill D, 24 June 2016 - 03:40 PM.

#5 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:13 PM

I looked at mine. While not perfectly smooth it doesn't have anything that looks like a fold or crease like you have in yours.

I'd be concerned with metal fatigue and a potential point of water infiltration at that point. You may want to get FWCs opinion.

Edited by Bill D, 24 June 2016 - 04:31 PM.

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:37 PM

This has been the condition of my camper since I can remember.  I picked it up in November 2015 and didn't pay that much attention to the top for a few weeks maybe.  I assume because it is aluminum it is difficult to bend and fit and there will be minor dents and what-not, but figured I'd ask if everyone else's is the same.  Do you have minor gaps where the roof and sides don't fit seamlessly?  I have these gaps all around the camper where the roof meets the sides.  Could there be an issue of water intrusion?

Looking at your photos,it seems like there are gaps in the sealant I would defiantly call about that or reseal those areas.

The "bends "at the corner are normal since the metal has to form around a curve.

A call to Stan would be the thing to do.Or e mail your photos.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:06 PM

I re looked at my roof/seam joint. I have a continuous bead of sealant all the way around.

My Bobcat is over 6 years old and there are no gaps or sealant splits like you show in the pictures.

Seems like a place for water to get in.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:08 PM

Huh.  I was hoping it was cosmetic.

#9 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:35 PM

Ace,

Just check my '16 Hawk that we ordered the day you picked yours up in Tigard...unfortunately it would appear that your roof sheet is not sealed by the putty/sealant in your photos in a few places..the left front [ or RR?] corner in the photo seems like it is dented in and pulled up the top sheet away from the railing that secures the top sheet to the frame with all those screws.

My top sheet has 'waves' in it and the railing does have a continuous bead of sealant between it and the top sheet....not perfection to be sure, but that top sheet, while continuous and with no seams, is thin metal and I would assume a bear to form over the frame around the edges.  Your sheet seems to have "curled free" of the railing and the sealant.

Damn!   Not certain where a water leak there would go.  On the outside of the pop-up fabric; or could it get inside the fabric and into the interior of the camper.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Phil 

Edited by Wallowa, 24 June 2016 - 08:39 PM.

#10 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:18 PM

I'm glad I posted.  It's been like this, like I say, as far back as I can remember.  I hadn't posted before because I just assumed they must all be like that, but it's been eating on me that I should probably ask others since it seems like there should be at least sealant.  I guess I'll take some better pictures and follow up with FWC now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, Roof, Seams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users