#1 Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:55 PM

Newbie member here.
Been lurking for some time; Lifelong tent/bedroll camper, but now very interested in acquiring a lightly used or possibly new aluminum framed pop up to fit my 2005 4wd Tundra Access.
Lot's of great info here.
Thanks

#2 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:54 AM

Welcome to the forum, Uncle Grumpy.
Toyota's and FWC/ATC are a good fit. These campers are a very nice step up from tent camping. You'll love the foul weather protection they offer.

#3 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:10 AM

Newbie member here.
Been lurking for some time; Lifelong tent/bedroll camper, but now very interested in acquiring a lightly used or possibly new aluminum framed pop up to fit my 2005 4wd Tundra Access.
Lot's of great info here.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum Uncle Grumpy. I had to travel quite a distance for my 2000 Ranger model. I picked it up just before christmas and the first big snow storm here in Denver. I wanted to take it off my truck for storage but don't have any place to put it until some snow melts:eek:

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010003_sm.jpg

#4 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:15 AM

Grumpy,
A fellow from southern california contacted me because he is interested in selling this Eagle model. It has a damaged headliner and no heater. If you are interested let me know and I can pass his contact information on to you.

Attached Thumbnails

• tundra_side_sm.JPG

#5 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:10 AM

jimjxsn,

If thats Neal, he was just here the other day and is probably going to have us fix the camper or trade it in on a new Panther. Just waiting to hear from him.

Grumpy,

If you looking for new, take a look at www.fourwheelcampers.com and us at www.allterraincampers.com

I believe that you would be pleased with either product and they will last you for years to come.

Sincerely,

Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:13 AM

Hi Uncle Grumpy,

Your user name makes me smile, my father has been known as Uncle Punky for 40 years. Anyway, your thought of upgrading to a 4WC is exactly what we did. My wife and I did two-week trips throughout the west, Baja and Canada in a '93 Toyota with a shell for years. Everytime we got pinned down by weather we couldn't cook, no room to sit up in the shell, etc. When Toyota came out with the Tundra, we bought one with the intention of getting a camper.

We knew we wanted a camper but not some behemoth. The 4WC is a perfect move up size. And it is light enough that it stays on our Tundra even though I commute in it daily. We leave it fairly stocked so that we can leave on a whim. Our best time from deciding to go camping to rolling is 20 minutes.

My point? Keep looking, you won't be sorry when you have one.

Cheers, Ted

#7 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:21 AM

Welcome Uncle Grumpy!

Someone just posted this unit for sale the other day, a perfect fit for your Tundra.

I once took a two month trip, camping out of and sleeping on a platform I made in my old CJ-7 Jeep. That was the definition of cramped! My last trip camping out of the truck with a camper shell was for 12 days and I had to sadly admit, in my mid-30's, that I was no longer willing to camp in marginal comfort.

I can honestly say getting a small, lightweight, slide-in pop up camper has rejuvinated my interest in camping and simplified the process too. Like Ted said, having all of your gear in one place and the ability to be down the road on a moments notice is hard to beat. I think you'll find a FWC or an ATC, would be an excellent compliment to your Tundra and your outdoor adventures.

#8 Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:29 PM

Hi All
Thanks for the warm welcome.
We are down here in San Clemente CA and would really like to find something this side of the Rockies.
The FWC and ATC are the only ones we are interested in. Of course.

#9 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:27 AM

Hey Uncle Grumpy,

SimiMike is planning a trip to Death Valley over President's Day weekend and put out a call for others to join him. We will be making the trip, not sure if anyone else is. It may mean yet another tent camping trip for you, but if you were to meet us there, it would be a good opportunity to see some campers in use and not as pristine, show room models.

Ted

#10 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:52 PM

One thing to consider when you are looking for a used camper is the fact that your Tundra has lower bed sides and a lower cab than most trucks.

Unless the camper was build for your model truck specifically it will stick up over the cab a bit more than one that is built correctly. Most of the used Hawks or Panthers that you will find are built with the extra height to them. This increases the drag on the truck in turn cutting down on performance.

Of course an air dam of some type will help if you go that way.

If you get a chance look at our web site and you will find a couple of Tundra's that have the correctly built camper on them and what they look like.

As to used campers, they are hard to come by in that size. Seems like every time we find one, it has already sold. Good luck in your search though.

Sincerely,

Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users