4 replies to this topic

#1 rjm

rjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationsan jose Ca.

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:38 PM

Hi all, looking for a nice site near the river or on river in Long Barn. I have not been out to LB in many years but will be heading up with along with a new owner of a FWC. He wants to try out some off grid camping/unimproved sites for a couple nights.

A second option is around blue lakes, again not looking for a campground just a remote spot off road.

4wd is fine but we both have full size CTD trucks.

PM  is preferred to keep the sweet spot -sweet.

rjm

#2 dakozicki

dakozicki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationReno Area

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:41 PM

Long Barn off Hwy88? I just did an off road trip along the Mokelumne. Let me know if you want the route. ImageUploadedByWander The West1467240019.048753.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1467240040.495550.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
  • 2007.5 Chevrolet 2500HD Z71 crew cab with a 2" level kit and RideRite airbags
  • 2015 FWC Hawk with Silver Spur interior, front dinette, and a Batwing awning.
  • 2015 BMW R1200 GSA
  • Hobie ProAngler 14

#3 rjm

rjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationsan jose Ca.

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:04 PM

Long barn off 108 - near Strawberry. Miles and miles of roads and dispersed camping. But never mind that.... If you got some cool adventure lines off 88 - We would be up for it. We frequent the kirkwood area for mtb rides and fishing silver lake.
Let me know BTW your rig looks good. I'll be posting some details of my keystone refurbish project soon.
Thanks again for the support.

rj

#4 dakozicki

dakozicki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationReno Area

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:58 PM

Look at Salt Springs Res. which is accessible from Hwy 88 above Cooks Station. There are some great remote camp sites on the Mokelumne past the Res and you can exit the area to Hwy 4 above Arnold on Forest Road 7N09. Be sure to pick up a fire permit at a ranger station. I neglected to do that, but a nice backcountry motorcycle patrol seasonal ranger gave me one before I got checked by the law enforcement ranger (which happened later). The permits are good for a year and don't seem to be forest specific.

I would highly recommend you get a copy of "Backcountry Adventures - Northern California" by Peter Massey and and Jeanne Wilson. It is sort of expensive, but you can find used copies on Amazon. It is a great resource for a bunch of off road routes. It has GPS coordinate and vey detailed route descriptions. They also do a great job of rating the routes for difficulty and describing the terrain.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West
  • 2007.5 Chevrolet 2500HD Z71 crew cab with a 2" level kit and RideRite airbags
  • 2015 FWC Hawk with Silver Spur interior, front dinette, and a Batwing awning.
  • 2015 BMW R1200 GSA
  • Hobie ProAngler 14

#5 rjm

rjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Locationsan jose Ca.

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the tip we will certainly look into that drive - you're right about te book - I'll get a copy or certainly check the library.
rj

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users