• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:07 AM

What can I say.  I'm addicted to flashlights and lighting etc.  Every time I go through a dept store, my GF has to remind me I have enough flashlights  :)

I hope with this thread we can have a little bit of fun.

Post pics of your patio lanterns, LED exteriors, flashlights, Coleman lanterns (the classics are beautiful), candles... you name it... if it lights up post it.  Even a nice evening pic of a pop up with the interior lights on can look beautiful.

#2 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:45 AM

Great idea for a thread!

I'll kick off with one of the standard items we carry with us.

BD headlamp with red LED option.  Lightweight, both bright and dimmable, with red LED for optimal night sky viewing.

black-diamond-revolt-headlamp-green-head

Edited by Lighthawk, 28 June 2016 - 03:45 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#3 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:49 AM

I love my Luci Emrg lights. They are solar lights that are sort of an inflatable pillow. I have the frosted side ones. They have 3 LED lights, that can be on, flashing or red. I keep them on the dashboard while driving, but make sure they are not inflated. As the air in them heats up, it might split the pillow. 

https://www.amazon.c...4&keywords=Luci

$9.95

I have a small strip of hook velcro that I keep over my head on the bed. It slips through the built in handle on the light and it hangs at a perfect level for reading in bed. That is assuming you have an ATC or FWC with the velcro for the Arctic or All weather pack. 

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#4 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:00 AM

https://www.amazon.c...4&keywords=Luci

$9.95

I have a small strip of hook velcro that I keep over my head on the bed. It slips through the built in handle on the light and it hangs at a perfect level for reading in bed. That is assuming you have an ATC or FWC with the velcro for the Arctic or All weather pack. 

Bseek, that is one of the strangest lights I have ever seen.  I love it!!!

and for $10.  Incredible how it takes no room, it's solar and you can use it at bed time.  So versatile.

#5 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:24 AM

gallery_5772_2_4921.jpeggallery_5772_2_66829.jpg

Say hello to my little friend. The Nitecore MH20.
Pound for pound one of the brightest lights on the market.

Not surprising, I use moonlight mode and setting 1 and 2 the most.  1000 lumens is really just for searching or bragging rights, not practical for camping.  There are plenty of inexpensive lights that are bright.  This unit is waterproof, very well made and has thermal regulation.

If you are a gadget geek you will appreciate that it is USB rechargeable and you can check the battery voltage at anytime by twisting the end cap. 4.2V = full charge   3.5V = time to recharge (so you don't deplete the battery).

When you reconnect the end cap, if it flashes 3X then 7X, then you know you have 3.7V. Pretty simple.

Moonlight mode (1 lumen) is awesome for walking around the campground at night time. You can see rocks etc. but you don't lose your night vision. When you walk by other campers you don't disturb them.

~$80USD

Edited by Bill D, 28 June 2016 - 04:36 AM.

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:35 AM

Great idea for a thread!

I'll kick off with one of the standard items we carry with us.
BD headlamp with red LED option.  Lightweight, both bright and dimmable, with red LED for optimal night sky viewing.

black-diamond-revolt-headlamp-green-head

Same here with headlamps with red option for night vision. We have a couple of old Petzls we've had for years, old friends now.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:21 PM

Here's one that DIDN'T work out for me.

I really liked this Folding LED panel lantern at first.   I liked its form factor and the fact that I could dim it to just the right level for the task. I used it as an area light for working on the camper and truck and as a table-top light for the picnic table.  It was a bit bluer than I prefer but it cast plenty of light for an outside meal at night or I could dim it down to a glow-light for sitting out. And it worked in near-freezing temperatures.  I could tilt the panel to just the right angle for the job and it was relatively compact for a 300-lumen output. 

But then it started simply turning itself off after a few minutes -- even after a battery change.   It would sometimes refuse to start at all and other times start flashing or simply turn off within a minute of starting up. 

I had it past the return period so contacted the manufacturer.  I was told they'd be happy to refund my $30 (even though I couldn't find my receipt) and occasionally something like this happens.   But when I received the check, I was disappointed to see it contained a legal agreement specifying that by cashing the check I agreed to never pursuing any legal remedy against the manufacturer for any product at any time in the future.  (Really?)

I bought a second one at my local Home Depot and of course tried it out right away.  Same thing.  It ran for ten minutes or so and shut itself off and started doing the same flashing and refusing-to-turn-on things the old one had.  There's a demo mode on these that you have to disable so I again went through that process several times.  Same thing.  New batteries (in case the ones that came with it were bad)....  same thing.  I gave up and returned it.

I could have just had the bad luck to get two bad units in a row, I suppose.  I'm a bit surprised to see it seems to get decent reviews on Amazon.  I see there are recent one-star reviews sprinkled liberally through them but lots of good comments too.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone else's experience with this model.  I really liked it (until I didn't).

Edited by Old Crow, 28 June 2016 - 12:22 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#8 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:33 PM

I have a couple of BD headlamps (Icon and ReVolt) and a Fenix PD35 in my truck and camper.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#9 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:06 PM

We use some small led clip on book lights for reading at night in the camper. We use headlamps when moving about. We have a small red led light that clips to the fan knob that we can turn on as needed during the night. We had led bulbs put in the camper lights but we don't use them very much- too bright most of the time. I've been thinking of putting a red bulb in one of them but I haven't found one yet.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:17 PM

Here's a LED lantern that I find handy.   In addition to uses in the camper, I have used it for night photography by wrapping a colored plastic sheet around the light to act as a gel for lighting up foregrounds.  The LED portion flips up to provide 360ยบ light.

Energizer.jpg

An example of the photos...

12817774525_70b4c22095_c.jpg

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users