#11 my_wild_dreams_

my_wild_dreams_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:03 AM

Thanks everyone  :-D  

I'm planning to travel from Denver to Seattle, starting this weekend and taking about 25 days to get there. I'll post my current draft of a route below, and if you have advice on different routes to take or where to camp, I'd appreciate it. I've never been up in these areas (other than inside the cities of Seattle and Portland a bit), so I've made up this route without knowing the areas and without doing much/any research yet. 

first part

Second part:

(Some of the destinations are areas I may want to camp and some are just in there to get the route on the roads I want) 

Website/Blog: MyWildDreams.net

#12 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:09 AM

What a fantastic adventure! Have a great time and keep posting up :-)

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#13 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:56 AM

I like "the whole day reading and looking".  Looks like a grand adventure.

For the Montana parts of the trip, if you have an extra day or two, once you leave what appears to be an off-highway campsite just west of Quake Lake, there are several routes worth consideration.  The Centennial Valley and the Big Sheep Creek Backcountry Byway are each around 50-60 miles in length and are all graded gravel roads, with a single steeper and likely impassible when wet segment some 5 miles in length along the latter. At the north end of the Big Sheep Creek route, MT 324, Bannack Bench Road, and MT 278 and MT 43 will take you on a drive through the Big Hole, thence to MT 569 over the Divide to Anaconda, MT 1 to Philipsburg and on up to I-90 from P'burg.  You may also branch west of P'burg on MT 348 to Rock Creek Road (FS 102) and follow Rock Creek for 41 miles to I-90 at Clinton.  All graded gravel to the pavement at the 10 mile post, but this is a slow-speed route, so the entire 41 miles will take close to 3 hours.

Looking forward to following along!

Foy

#14 Rdy2Roam

Rdy2Roam

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:33 PM

Enjoy getting away from the rat race! and welcome to Gods country! safe travels and cant wait to hear and see your adventure on here.

#15 my_wild_dreams_

my_wild_dreams_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:14 AM

Thanks Foy!  

That route sounds interesting and looks good. It took me a little while just to figure out the roads and turns. If I have enough time to look back at it in detail, I may add it to my plan. (it might be a little too complicated for this trip though.. but I'll be out in the northwest the entire summer next year and this looks exactly like the kind of driving I'd love to do) 

#16 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:39 AM

my_wild_dreams -

In Wyoming consider visiting Independence Rock on the California Trail. Walk to the south end and look at the inscriptions there. From there drive to South Pass and visit South Pass City and Atlantic City. From there drive the Lander Cut Off Road along the Wind River Range to Boulder, just south of Pinedale. Consider driving into Green River Lakes north of Pinedale. South of Hobart Junction, drive the Granite Creek Road into Granite Hot Springs. There are moose in the creek bottom lands in the early mornings and evenings, also Bald Eagles.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#17 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:00 AM

Congratulations on succeeding at something many accomplish only in their minds. Enjoy the venture and thanks for what you've shared thus far. The photos are awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#18 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:02 AM

my_wild_dreams -

In Wyoming consider visiting Independence Rock on the California Trail. Walk to the south end and look at the inscriptions there. From there drive to South Pass and visit South Pass City and Atlantic City. From there drive the Lander Cut Off Road along the Wind River Range to Boulder, just south of Pinedale. Consider driving into Green River Lakes north of Pinedale. South of Hobart Junction, drive the Granite Creek Road into Granite Hot Springs. There are moose in the creek bottom lands in the early mornings and evenings, also Bald Eagles.

Splendid advice here.  

From Independence Rock headed for South Pass City, look at BLM Road 2302, aka Hudson-Atlantic City Rd. It's about 30 miles of graded gravel (east end towards US 287 just north of Sweetwater Junction) and clay-based two-track.  This road parallels the Sweetwater River and a segment of the Oregon Trail/Mormon Trail, and includes drive-bys of the Rocky Ridge and Willies Handcart Company disaster sites.  Headed west, you'll be picking up elevation as you traverse treeless rolling foothills of the Wind River Range at between 7,000' and 8,000' elevation, with 100 mile views all around, especially from the Crow's Nest knoll.  It's a good 2 hour drive, with two BLM campgrounds at Atlantic City, a very cool restaurant/bar there, and disbursed camping a short distance up FS 300 from WY 28 at South Pass.

Caveat:  Even with the locker, I would not take the van up BLM 2302 when it's wet.  

Foy

#19 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:12 PM

Although it would add miles, I would consider driving Lamar Valley in Yellowstone, then as previously mentioned Beartooth Pass. Then rather the West side, drive along the East side (The Front), through Glacier. If you decide to do this contact me and I can give you some hikes/camping spots, back roads.

No issues at this time, but before you leave check for any smoke issues.

#20 my_wild_dreams_

my_wild_dreams_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:58 PM

I've adjusted the first part of my route out to this: 

Ok, I've changed the first part of my route to this: 

Then once I get to the end I will either go up to the interstate to go west a bit, or backtrack through the route I took to exit Yellowstone on the west side.

I'll still need to figure out which way to go after Yellowstone. Depending on how much I want to go on back (unpaved) roads vs the paved, I may take some of the routes you guys have suggested. You guys clearly know the area very well and your suggestions look great. 

I need to get better at route researching and planning!  :-o   Google maps is feeling cumbersome (especially when my internet connection is slower).. I'll look through the forum to see if people are using other mapping websites or apps. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users