15 replies to this topic

#1 Myfotos

Myfotos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationIn my womb with a view

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:25 AM

I just picked up my Fleet shell a few months ago and just returned from a three-week trip through Oregon and Washington (can't rave enough about FWC!).  I stayed at a couple of campgrounds that had boxes to hook up electric, but didn't need to access them.  My question is, the boxes had either 30 or 50 outlets (sometimes both), but also a 110 plug.  Could I just plug in an extension cord and and recharge my laptop or whatever?  Not knowing, I was leery of trying.

Thanks,

Bill

2007 Tacoma with 2015 Fleet shell

#2 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:37 AM

I'm assuming they charged you for the access to the power whether you used it not, most "RV" type campgrounds do.  The 110 would be good for anything you would need. If you carry an extension cord, get one with the pilot light in the receptacle, that way you can be sure it's powered. Carry a cheap plug strip too, and you can charge as many things as would fit.

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:52 AM

I'm assuming they charged you for the access to the power whether you used it not, most "RV" type campgrounds do.  The 110 would be good for anything you would need. If you carry an extension cord, get one with the pilot light in the receptacle, that way you can be sure it's powered. Carry a cheap plug strip too, and you can charge as many things as would fit.

+1

Our campers use so little AC power that a 15 amp is all you need. However, acquire a 30 to 15 amp adapter so that you are not a plug away from the power. Some campgrounds have only 30 and/or 50 amp sockets.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 Myfotos

Myfotos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

Thanks.  The KOA only had one type of campsite, so it was included at the standard (higher) price.  It was nice to have a HOT shower though.  Good idea to get a power strip and adapters.  Hadn't thought of either.  I was able to recharge my iPad at night using the 12 volt outlets and my laptop during the day on the passenger seat while driving using the inverter, but figure that it might be useful at some point to be able to hook up to power, if available.

Bill

#5 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:07 PM

Thanks. The KOA only had one type of campsite, so it was included at the standard (higher) price. It was nice to have a HOT shower though. Good idea to get a power strip and adapters. Hadn't thought of either. I was able to recharge my iPad at night using the 12 volt outlets and my laptop during the day on the passenger seat while driving using the inverter, but figure that it might be useful at some point to be able to hook up to power, if available.

Bill

Bill, I carry the FWC plug and 50' extension cord, 30amp cord, 30amp surge protector, and 50amp/30amp converter to use if all they have is 50amp. I have found that they usually always have 30amp and the 120. If they say 50amp, I've found that the box also has the 30amp and 120. The 30amp surge protector plugs onto the end of my 30amp cord and then plugs into the box at the campsite. I just like being prepared if we stay where we can plug in. jd

Edited by longhorn1, 21 July 2016 - 01:35 AM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#6 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:45 AM

I use the 15 amp connection and it powers everything I need including my AC unit. Some campsites I still have an issue with the ground protect always tripping I need to delve into that more :( I really think I may need a new extension cord although mine looks new?

#7 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:35 AM

Also buy a small inverter. we use ours a lot to charge the airplane transmitters, ipad, camera batteries.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#8 Myfotos

Myfotos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:41 AM

Thanks for the input.  I did buy an inverter that I used in the cab to recharge my laptop while driving - wasn't sure how much drain that would be on the two batteries if I charged it at night.

Another thought I had was to contact FWC and see about having an outlet installed rather than having to run an extension cord through an open door.  I checked the area with the heater, but that doesn't seem workable.  What I would like is a covered outdoor outlet to plug the extension cord into from the campsite power pole and have an outlet inside the camper.  Am thinking that there could also be a coaxial outlet as well should I ever want to use cable for a small TV.  I realize that I should have talked with FWC when I ordered, but am hoping the retrofit won't be too expensive.  Ideas/suggestions?

Bill

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:49 PM

The connection on the outside of the camper will need to be an "inlet" rather than an outlet as it will need to have the male contacts. There are simple forms of this and there is a rather upscale form of this used on boats.

Simple:

191991_FUL.jpeg

http://www.westmarin...991?recordNum=3

Poke around the West Marine, U.S. Boat Suppy etc pages to find more like this.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:08 PM

I also started to carry a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter. I find that a lot of the 15 amp outlets suck and kick out all the time. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users