16 replies to this topic

#11 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:57 PM

OK, maybe this should go into the "dumb things you have done thread".  The front struts didn't work as mounted.  By placing the mounts as far apart vertically as possible to maximize their lifting strength, I ran into some crazy geometry.  If you measure the 19.75" in the closed position and install (like I did for the rear) then the shocks are not long enough when fully extended to allow the roof to go all the way up.  If you mount them so that the roof can go all the way up, there may be less than 19.5" between the mounts, which means the roof can't go all the way down.

Ask me how I know, I dare you.   :blink:  

There is a reason FWC puts the lower mounts about 2" up from the bottom. :huh:  The geometry then works much like it does on the back wall... with about 3" vertical separation between the mounts. 

I re-positioned mine a few times, and checked lengths when up and down before drilling the 3rd set of holes.  Check where that will put the holes on the inside by the mattress too.  You want them to be below where the carpet attaches do you don't damage the lifting mechanism.  Just sayin'

Works now.  :D

Edited by Vic Harder, 25 November 2016 - 09:58 PM.

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:16 AM

I won't take the dare :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 Trowbocop

Trowbocop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCurrently: Denver, Colorado

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for all of the valuable pics and info to everyone here. Going to be installing mine soon!

#14 Trowbocop

Trowbocop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCurrently: Denver, Colorado

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

Reviving an old thread here, I know. But does anyone think these would be too weak to mount 40# struts with?

Ameritool BR-3300-32 Stainless Steel Short Flat Bracket

2.5" long .75" wide

10mm Ball Stud

Thanks in advance!

#15 HughDog

HughDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:10 PM

OK, maybe this should go into the "dumb things you have done thread".  The front struts didn't work as mounted.  By placing the mounts as far apart vertically as possible to maximize their lifting strength, I ran into some crazy geometry.  If you measure the 19.75" in the closed position and install (like I did for the rear) then the shocks are not long enough when fully extended to allow the roof to go all the way up.  If you mount them so that the roof can go all the way up, there may be less than 19.5" between the mounts, which means the roof can't go all the way down.

Ask me how I know, I dare you.   :blink:  

There is a reason FWC puts the lower mounts about 2" up from the bottom. :huh:  The geometry then works much like it does on the back wall... with about 3" vertical separation between the mounts. 

I re-positioned mine a few times, and checked lengths when up and down before drilling the 3rd set of holes.  Check where that will put the holes on the inside by the mattress too.  You want them to be below where the carpet attaches do you don't damage the lifting mechanism.  Just sayin'

Works now.  :D

Hey Vic -

I recently installed two back struts with some preload as suggested throughout this trail, and it kinda makes me wonder if all of the load is on struts vs. the lift panels inside.  I noticed that hoopytank shot in 5 screws on each mount with the suggested preload.

My question is:   Have you had any issues (i.e. mount loosening) by using two screws on each mount?  I'll likely do two or three screws  for each front mount if your setup has remained solid with preloads on each strut.  

2014 Ram 3500 MegaCab, 1983 FWC Fleet

#16 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:24 PM

nope, everything is still tight and working well

#17 HughDog

HughDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:36 PM

Perfect!  Just the feedback I was looking for . . . I don't have a ton of wiggle room up front (mainly the top) and can easily work with that setup-

Thanks 

2014 Ram 3500 MegaCab, 1983 FWC Fleet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users