52 replies to this topic

#1 Moose Dog

Moose Dog

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:43 PM

Hi everybody, 

A newbie here. After many years of dreaming and scheming I'm finally starting the process of putting together an Alaskan/truck combo. Choosing the Alaskan Camper is decided, however I'm not so familiar with trucks and would like to nail down the truck/heavy camper combo to the best of my ability. I've scoured around this forum for truck info but am staring a thread to focus the topic.

Assume a 8' CO, used for cross country trips but also parked in cities. I'm an artist and work at chalk festivals so the rig would be parked at those as well. For this reason a 1 ton might be too big but I'm open to possibilities. 

Preferred companies? Lemons? Gas vs. diesel? I welcome your opinions. 

Thanks also for this forum, it's very informative. Cheers...

F350 xlt 4x4 w/8' CO Alaskan and dog 

#2 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:02 PM

Any 3/4 ton would do fine....not 1/2 ton...

a single rear wheel 1 ton if you can find one in good shape, 4 wheel drive if you wish in either

stay away from 6.0 and 6.4 liter Ford diesels, problematic engines...the Ford 6.7 diesels seem to be holding up...

if you can find a Ford 7.3 liter diesel in good shape your good to go....Dodge w/ Cummins diesels are a good bet as well

if you have the desire...older pickups are still available to go with period Alaskan campers...buyer beware

an 8 footer would go in a long or short bed...if you want to contain it (tailgate up) while driving...a long bed will suit you...but a short bed with the tailgate down works well also

most 3/4 tons will have gas engines sufficient to haul a camper...stay away from the smaller v-6's

smaller trucks work with the newer mini-Alaskans built for them but you won't find any in the older Alaskan category

Edited by Rusty, 26 July 2016 - 08:16 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#3 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:52 AM

Check out a utility bed and truck combo - It would give you a lot more storage space.

IMG_6024.jpg

#4 mike dominick

mike dominick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:12 PM

I'm running a Dodge 3500 with a Cummins diesel with my 8 ft 2004 CO Alaskan. It works perfect, this my 5th Cummins diesel.

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:15 AM

Hi everybody,
<snip>
Assume a 8' CO, used for cross country trips but also parked in cities. I'm an artist and work at chalk festivals so the rig would be parked at those as well. For this reason a 1 ton might be too big but I'm open to suggestions.

I welcome your opinions.

Thanks also for this forum, it's very informative. Cheers...

Moose, there's no physical size difference between the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, just capacity differences. If you're buying new, my recommendation is to go 1 ton. Not much price difference, and a little better resale price. Best of all, you can load it down. Get one that is meant for a camper, as it will have suspension tweaks that better handle campers.

I am haunted by waters

#6 Moose Dog

Moose Dog

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for the input everybody. Ideally I'd like a reliable used - ha in my dreams - but seeing how I know small planes a little bit  but not trucks your replies  are very  helpful. 

I'm  currently curious about the F250 and your opinions on gas vs. diesel? 

F350 xlt 4x4 w/8' CO Alaskan and dog 

#7 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:20 PM

F250...1998-early 2003....diesel....early 2003 better (late build, fourth upgrade 7.3 liter Diesels)

don't buy late model 2003 F250's with 6.0 liter diesels...that's the year they switched from 7.3 liter Internationals to 6.0 liter Ford Diesels

6 speed automatic

IMHO...... ;)

they're still out there...but if you find a clean one...get it quickly...they don't last long on the market....my son was looking...and missed 3 or 4 by hemming and hawing...missed a really good one

Edited by Rusty, 27 August 2017 - 03:46 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#8 rdavis231

rdavis231

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:49 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 1988 F250 extended cab diesel (non-turbo 7.3L).  It has a full size bed (8'). I am wondering what year/model alaskan will not fit in the bed? Also I have a plastic bed protector. Will an 8' alaskan still fit with the tailgate closed? 

#9 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:49 PM

any should fit.......you may have to remove the liner portion on the tailgate....give it a try first...there's usually an inch or so.

The tailgate width revisions have been the issue and with older pickups the width was fine

#10 rdavis231

rdavis231

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

I have finally found an Alaskan that I am scheduled to inspect. it is an 1988 8' cabover. I know these campers were finished with a veneer instead of solid wood. However I am more concerned about the hydraulics and appliances. The camper has been sitting in a garage since 2002 with no use. I am asking what to look for when I inspect and how do I test the hydraulic system?

Any and all advice on my upcoming inspection would be helpful. I have read about looking for water damage and dry rot and will be focused on these issues as well.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users