9 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:36 AM

Anybody here have experience exploring bayou country of the South -- especially exploring on the water, by canoe or kayak?

I haven't done enough research yet to define exactly where I'm asking about. Certainly Louisiana...but there are cypress swamps all across the South, and I guess that's what I'm really interested in: cypress-studded wetlands and interconnected waterways suitable for exploring by human-powered boat.
I've been to the Okefenokee Swamp while visiting a friend in Georgia, but I didn't explore by water. And I saw - and camped near - some bayou-ness in Mississippi and Louisiana on a road trip last year. Fascinating.

Bayou country is the antithesis of my traditional high desert / mountain haunts...but what I've seen makes me want a bigger experience.
Maybe I just want a chance to fend off a hungry gator with a paddle.

I know this is off-topic for wt-WEST, but I figured I'd take a chance and start my research by asking here.
Thanks. :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:03 AM

Mark

The east coast is studded with coastal cypress swamps from Maryland southward to the Florida keys and, of course, west to Texas.

All are incredibly rich natural habitat often combined with lots of history.

Do you have any other state than LA you want to visit ?

Glad to share more perhaps by PM.

DavidGraves

north Oregon coast 

#3 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:36 PM

All I know is what I see on TV - watch out for the good 'ole boys hunting alligators.  They seem to be everywhere.

To be clear, this is in jest.  I know reality TV shows don't reflect reality.

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:37 PM

The east coast is studded with coastal cypress swamps from Maryland southward to the Florida keys and, of course,y west to Texas. All are incredibly rich natural habitat often combined with lots of history.
Do you have any other state than LA you want to visit ?
Glad to share more perhaps by PM.

Thanks, DG, for the reply and offer of more.
I mentioned LA, specifically, because I know that it's chock-full of bayou. A look at a map shows the 'swamp' or 'wetland' symbol covering big areas. But, as you say, there's similar habitat in other states, and I don't have anything like an itinerary yet.

Thanks for endorsing the idea, and I'll be in touch by PM. :)

All I know is what I see on TV - watch out for the good 'ole boys hunting alligators.  They seem to be everywhere. 
To be clear, this is in jest.  I know reality TV shows don't reflect reality.

Well, Mr E, to tell you the truth, about half my 'knowledge' of that country is based on what I've seen on TV reality shows. (occasionally my channel surfing will land on one and then the remote gets stuck...). Typically, a couple is 'surviving' naked in the swamp for a couple of weeks... Or some yahoo is trying to make a living in the swamp, logging or gator-grabbing.
Seems like a colorful place.
;)

#5 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:19 PM

Mark

A wonderful introduction to that sort of territory would include a visit to the Dismal Swamp in Virginia or Lake Mattamuskeet in North Carolina.

Both have remarkable natural and cultural history and both are accessible by canoe, kayak small boat.

We spent a lot of time in either.....

Further , you can find at either of these places a tranquilty and quietness we take for granted in the West but VERY rare on the east coast.  

#6 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:44 PM

Hey Mark,

In addition to the fine information DaveGraves is providing, North Carolina has at least two "canoe trails" which have elevated campsites (essentially platforms on pilings providing room enough to pitch a small tent and have a bit of room to move around, cook, and eat).   

The two which come to mind are Merchants Millpond State Park in the northeastern corner of NC, not far southwest of Norfolk, VA (and quite close to the Dismal Swamp which is astride the NC-VA line), and Gardner's Creek, a tributary of the great Roanoke River entering it from the south side, east of Williamston, NC.  The webpages at ncpaddletrails.com are an excellent resource.

The preponderance of the Dismal Swamp is in VA, and I know of at least one commonly used access point: The Dismal Swamp Canal runs essentially north-south parallel to US 17 between Deep Creek, VA and South Mills, NC and it forms the eastern border of the Dismal.  A feeder canal (the Feeder Ditch) runs east-west from the Dismal Swamp canal near Wallaceton, VA, passes through a small lock (to raise canoes, kayaks, and small aluminum skiffs universally known in the South as "jonboats") a few feet up to the elevation of Lake Drummond, the wide but shallow lake at the Swamp's center.  To the best of my knowledge, camping is not allowed within the Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge, which occupies most of the swamp's land and flooded area.

You might find that other National Wildlife Refuges offer canoe trails and canoe camping.  I personally visited the NWR campground on Upper Red Rock Lake, Montana, a year ago yesterday. That would be a totally cool place to spend some time camping and paddling the lakes and the meandering river connecting and draining them.

I hope you'll have the opportunity to explore the wetlands of the Atlantic and Gulf Coast states.  It's very cool country, especially in the cool/cold weather months when the views are improved due to the leaves being down and when the bugs (and snakes) are sluggish to not present.

Foy

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:37 AM

Thanks, guys, I'll get back to both of you via PM.

I should mention that I don't own a kayak nor canoe -- never have.  My only watercraft ownership and significant experience has been a whitewater inflatable raft with rowing frame.  But I figure that I'll do OK in a kayak on flat/slack water even with minimal experience.  

Ideally I'll find a situation where I can rent a kayak adjacent to the water -- so that I don't have to haul the craft since I don't have a rack.  That was the case at the Okefenokee Swamp NWR (actually, at the state park embedded in the NWR).  They rented kayak, canoes, and other "little" boats and there were camping platforms out in the swamp.  But I didn't have the time for that adventure when I was there, so I just took a boat tour.

Wherever I end up, I'm hoping to find a boat-renting outfitter next to the water...probably with a name like "Bayou Bill's Bodacious Boats" or similar. ;)

#8 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:29 AM

Mark, I lived for a time years ago in New Orleans and had occasion to drive across the Atchafalaya swamp a few times from Baton Rouge to Lafayette. That stretch of freeway is one of the longest bridges in the country, right through the heart of the cypress swamp. The views I got from the road of the swamp have stuck with me all these years and I always wanted to go back and see it from the water.

Your post caused me to do a quick search and I found this site: http://www.atchafala...p?name=Paddling

Maybe a resource for you. Just FYI- another place to check out.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#9 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:37 PM

Mark, I lived for a time years ago in New Orleans and had occasion to drive across the Atchafalaya swamp a few times from Baton Rouge to Lafayette. That stretch of freeway is one of the longest bridges in the country, right through the heart of the cypress swamp. The views I got from the road of the swamp have stuck with me all these years and I always wanted to go back and see it from the water.

Your post caused me to do a quick search and I found this site: http://www.atchafala...p?name=Paddling

Maybe a resource for you. Just FYI- another place to check out.

Thanks, takesiteasy!
Last October, as part of a cross-country road trip, I spent a night at a state park southeast of Baton Rouge -- camped a few feet from cypress-y water. The next day I drove to the mouth of the Mississippi (as near as you can, anyway) and then west across southern Louisiana. Water, water everywhere - and plants and birds. That's one of the inspirations for better exploring that kind of country.

#10 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 July 2016 - 02:52 PM

We were there during the 1973 flood- talk about water everywhere! It opened my eyes to the vast amount of engineering that has been done to keep the Mississippi in its preferred channel and the amount of water that has to get to the gulf one way or another. It really is a fascinating area to explore and understand. Add to that the cultural history... so much to learn and enjoy. I hope you have a good trip.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users