7 replies to this topic

#1 jakejake

jakejake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

Considering the FWC Grandby with Front Dinette configuration...

How are you storing food and supplies?
Anyone carrying kayaks/canoe on top of the camper?  Photos?
Anyone carrying cargo on top of the camper?  Photos?

From these photos here are my thoughts:
  • Lots of little compartments (not ideal).  Looks like a bunch of small system access doors.  Confusing to find things, or to tell someone where to find it.
  • Not much storage for anything useful.
  • I don't see where to store food.
  • Why isn't their storage under the mattress??
  • Anyone remove the toilet and use the space for storage/shelving?
  • Anyone have examples to share for a family of 4?   Photos?

grandby_model_kitchen_cabinets_open_flus

#2 AK Nomad

AK Nomad

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:38 PM

Our 2004 Grandby is laid out differently, but some food goes under sink along with dishes.  Other food goes in rear cabinet (passenger side).  Newer units appear to have much better storage!  Over a decade of adventures with family of four.  Used to use porta-potty when kids were little, now storage. Regularly haul canoe and other gear on top of camper (factory aluminum rack). Sorry no pics.  FWC don't have the storage of a 'big' RV, that's why I love it!  Take just what you need, nothing more.

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:42 PM

jakejake,

Welcome to the site.  We have a 2014 Grandby on a F-250 longbed.  It is a front dinette.  Plenty of storage under each bench seat.  The picture you show above is from a side dinette.  We opted for the front dinette option only (no inside shower or cassette toilet).  If you order the cassette toilet you will loose storage space.  We have the 80L compressor fridge.  The storage in this camper is as follows:

Large cabinette on the passenger side, floor level, just inside the door.  We had FWC leave the doors off and cut the bottom of the face-plate off so we could slide our Porta Potti Curve (Thetford) in.  We put up a curtain rod and curtain.  Above that are 2 good size cabinets and on top a deep storage area that is accessed by lifting the cabinet top up (Has a mirror on the underside).  There is also a small cabinet under the fridge and another cabinet above the fridge under the cabinet top (1/3 to 1/2 the depth of the other lift up.  The size of the cabinet above and below the fridge is determined by the size of the fridge.  On the passenger side there is a large cabinet that we store 2 fabric boxes that hold most of our dry food items and a drawer for silverware.  The other cabinets have plumbing, fuse panel, water heater, so there is minimal storage in those.

006.jpg

This picture was from the build.  Drawer, middle is large storage cabinet, bottom is battery.  On the other side of the furnace is the cabinet with water lines, hot water heater and the small one below is the fuse box and power cut-off.  I will have to load another picture for the other side.

If you go to my blog you can see some interior pictures of the build.  Click on build and modification links.  There are some great photos showing the interior.

jd

Edited by longhorn1, 29 July 2016 - 06:03 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:48 PM

Jake,

007.jpg

Small cabinet above fridge accessed by lifting the countertop.  Small cabinet below the fridge.  Top cabinet to the right (passenger side rear of the camper) is a large cabinet accessed by lifting the countertop and has mirror.  Middle will be 2 cabinets, one above the other, and the large floor level is where we put our porta potti.  If you get a cassette you will loose almost all of those cabinets.

There should be build photos on the blog and some of our early trips show the interior taken from the outside.

jd

#5 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:51 PM

Jake,

IMG_20140714_155927_684.jpg

Another build photo.  The large opening is for the fridge.

jd

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,565 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 July 2016 - 02:31 AM

Jake, even though I rarely practice this tenant of which I am about to preach, remember, there are stores out there. In most cases you don't need to take everything with you. That said, we named our now sold Grandby 'The Packrat' because of all the things we stuffed into it. When our Bobcat arrives, I am going to need to relearn my backpacking habits, and only take what we really need.

I am haunted by waters

#7 jakejake

jakejake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:14 AM

About the photos....It's more about maximizing the limited available space and efficiency.  All those cubbyholes look like waste, and difficult to find stuff.

The toilet area really should have an option for storage.  I'd like to see it sized for a cargo tote/bin, or something.

#8 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:49 PM

Just an observation.  Looking at your photo JakeJake, you can see one huge space.  The refrigerator.  This is why I don't have a frig in my Eagle.  I use a portable one and put it in the truck cab at night. 

Cheers,  Chris

Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, grandby, storage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users