99 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:05 PM

How many folks are canoe and kayak enthusiasts?

Any favorite routes you would like to share.

I am haunted by waters

#2 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:46 PM

We are avid yakers but most of our trips have been East of the Mississippi...
We just recently bought a Dinoot Expedition trailer and are in the process of adapting it to haul our kayaks behind out TC.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#3 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:56 PM

I am currently looking at canoes, but haven't decided on one yet.

Edited by Ace!, 03 August 2016 - 10:57 PM.

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:37 AM

Until I get one the dog can ride in I've kind of stopped kayaking. My new solar panel kind of screwed up my carry plan also.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:49 AM

4 - Fat boat, wide beam (very stable for my kids when they were about 5 & 7 years old) kayaks, like below.

Purchased in 1986, still going strong. Used mostly on fresh water lakes. Just messing around in boats and fishing.

BCTCNR3.jpg

2 - Royaks, speciality sit on top sea kayaks, used in beach launching for free diving and SCUBA diving (secure place for mounting two SCUBA tanks, plus interior storage).

Purchased in 1975, still going strong. No photos.

1 - Squirt boat (very small kayak) for white water river running.

Purcased in 1970, still going strong. No photos.

My stuff is old, however, in great condition.

Favorite places?

As long as it's wet, I'll go there.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 04 August 2016 - 01:30 AM.

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:44 AM

We've been collecting small craft for the last 40 years. Two Lincoln canoes, plus a 12 Wee Rob lap strake canoe that I built. A very heavy Necky Tofino double, a Necky Arluk IV for the Bride and a Nimbus Seafarer for me.

Our local paddling areas include the Willamette and Columbia rivers (Skamokowa is very nice), and the high Cascade lakes. Further from home, we like the Gulf Islands of BC, and the area around the Broughton archipelago.

A trip I'd really like to make is an early fall trip to Lake Powell. Powell is fantastic, but we've never taken the kayaks down.

I am haunted by waters

#7 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:09 AM

Well, we live in a state with a surplus of awesome canoeing opportunities, the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness being the premier resource and one of our favorite places to go. In addition to that there is Voyageurs National Park and lakes and rivers too numerous to list. We've done lots of canoe-tripping over the years in our trusty aluminum 17 foot canoe. I volunteer now with a non-profit youth development organization working with kids building boats and get my quota of boat-building fun that way without having to own them all, haha.

Here is a webpage you all might be interested in: http://www.freemanse...e-wilderness-3/

The couple is spending a year in the BWCA to bring attention to the threat posed by proposed mining development. Check out the instagram- pretty good photos. They were covered on the Today show recently:  http://www.today.com...on-735515715885

Two favorite kayaking destinations are the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore in Wisconsin and the San Juan Islands of Washington. We have done unforgettable multi-day trips in both locations.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#8 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:10 AM

We have always been around boats and waters....she was a girl scout canoeist and later white water paddler.

We long sailed a whacko little camp cruiser, a Phil Bolger designed camp cruiser ( type Dovekie) which was 22', drew 4 inches and carried a single sprit sail.....tacked upwind nearly 60 miles per hour ( behind our truck) from the Everglades to the north Maine woods....good for crusing up to two weeks and could moor to a blue berry bush in coastal Maine waters.   

For this forum our current watercraft are two Klepper single folding kayaks.......somewhere in the barn is a double also. These are archaic german canvas and wood framed boats....the first Atlantic solo crossing and, to some real extent, the great grandparent of most modern sea kayaks. 

Don't ask about all the other boats.................mostly projects and dreams....maritime history. 

DavidGraves

noOrco

#9 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:02 AM

Currently a 17' cedar strip canoe and a kevlar slalom kayak.  Over the years more whitewater kayaks have come and gone than I care to think about, when I was actively paddling there were usually 3-4 in the garage at any time.

Like skis, bikes and so many other toys the ideal number of boats seams to be N+1 where N is the number you currently own.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#10 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:16 AM

I guess my '73 Folbot isn't so out of place after all. ;)

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users