16 replies to this topic

#1 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:06 PM

Hi All, 

I have Fleet Flatbed that will be arriving in a month or two (so excited!) and in the meantime I purchased a 2016 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed, TRD-Offroad,  and a UTE aluminium flatbed.   I have been working to get the truck ready for the camper and am trying to figure out what to do to upgrade the suspension.   Reading through the various threads and getting feedback here and on Expedition Portal, has been very informative, but I am still in a quandary as to how to approach the suspension.     To set the stage, the camper will be on full time, this will be a weekend driver only, and I do expect to do some mild - moderate four wheel driving.   My best estimate is that full loaded, the camper + gear + people will range from 1500 - 1800lbs over the stock empty weight. 

My original thought was to get a custom leaf pack from Alcan, specified for ~1500lb of weight, OME BP51 adjustable shocks all around, firestone airbags and install it all before the camper arrives.   These seems like the safest option, bordering on overkill.    The more I think about it, the more I am wondering if I should just start off with OME Dakar's with the D29XL add-a-leaf.  

My questions are:

1) Are the BP51's worth the cost (~$2800 for four shocks)?  I am leaning towards them mainly for the adjustability and ride quality.  My application is fairly unique, so I was hopping overtime I can dial in the settings for the best ride quality.   Are there other (hopefully less expensive) shocks I should be considering?

2) Is it worth trying the Dakar leaf springs first?   My current thought is that they may work out to be sufficient with airbag.   If they turn out not to be suitable, they will allow me to figure out the exact rear wheel weights to provide to Alcan or Deaver for having a custom pack made.  I am worried that I will have a significant side to side imbalance, as in the flatbed, all the cabinetry and appliances are on the drivers side, which is already the heavy side on the Tacoma.   If I can measure this imbalance, I can then have a custom pack made with different springs to account for this.  I figure if the Dakars don't cut it, I will only be out about $200 (after selling them) and will end up with a better custom leaf spring in the end.

3) What is the consensus on airbags?  If I have custom springs made, should I spec them for my minimum weight and rely on the airbags to compensate anything over that?   Are firestone ride rites the best choice? 

4) Is it worth using daystar cradles with firestone airbags?  

Sorry for the long list of questions, and thanks in advance!

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#2 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:28 PM

I have a 2014 Taco DCLB with 2015 Fleet on full-time. I got the OME Heavy Duty suspention + extra leaf + E-rated tires

I did buy airbags, but have yet to install them. 

I've had no issues on some of my crazy off-road adventures. 

I look forward to seeing other replies!

Edited by hoyden, 08 August 2016 - 06:47 PM.

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#3 WestCoast

WestCoast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:44 PM

2003 Tacoma with '16 Fleet. OME HD, Dakkars w AAL, Firestone airbags(w minimal <10psi) and Daystar cradles. The camper is on almost full time. Handles very well on and off road. I recommend the AAL and to use the airbags as a way to level the truck rather than as a support. It does require a tiny bit of fine tuning to get the right amount of air to avoid porpoising at HWY speeds on some road surfaces. For me the HD OME are all I need. As in MTB shocks, too many adjustments (options)can lead to a poor ride. I'll trust the engineers to figure that out for me! Plug and play!
ImageUploadedByWander The West1470681639.738741.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:46 PM

FWIW, I have a Taco DCLB with Fleet on full-time. I got the OME Heavy Duty suspention + extra leaf.

I did buy airbags, but have yet to install them. 

I've had no issues on some of my crazy off-road adventures. 

I look forward to seeing other replies!

Thanks for the feedback.   Did you get the airbags because the OME Heavies with extra leaf are still sagging?   Any idea where you ride height is relative to stock is with this setup?

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#5 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback.   Did you get the airbags because the OME Heavies with extra leaf are still sagging?   Any idea where you ride height is relative to stock is with this setup?

When I first filled up the water tank a month or so ago, I thought it was sagging. But after spending some time with it, and keeping an eye on it, I don't see any sag. I think I might have just been paranoid. :-) 

At this point, I'm not sure I'll actually install the air bags. I am not fond of complications or having to adjust lots of things. I agree with West Coast up there: "too many adjustments (options)can lead to a poor ride" 

I'll hold onto them for a while longer - see how my next long campering trip in a few weeks goes (Az --> Illinois and back) and decide then if I want to install the bags. 

I do not know what my ride height is relative to stock, but it's been good on some pretty bumpy roads. Not sure if you can get a decent comparison visually, but here my truck:

aiXMzXMjLywda5Qu2CNU0rwqYC_fZV6qLrBhcPRP

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#6 WestCoast

WestCoast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:05 PM

FWIW I originally had the airbags before the fleet as a way to carry my snowmobile in the back of my truck part time in the winter. I've left them on as an added measure. I think I could get away without them. I believe the will help the springs last longer especially when flexed off road. The whole ride height is about 1-2" over stock. Just enough to look good and provide a bit more clearance with larger tires without horrible cv angles and all the other bs that comes with having a "bro plow". ;)

#7 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:16 PM

FWIW I originally had the airbags before the fleet as a way to carry my snowmobile in the back of my truck part time in the winter. I've left them on as an added measure. I think I could get away without them. I believe the will help the springs last longer especially when flexed off road. The whole ride height is about 1-2" over stock. Just enough to look good and provide a bit more clearance with larger tires without horrible cv angles and all the other bs that comes with having a "bro plow". ;)

Awesome!  My goal is to be 0 - 1" above stock ride height in the back, and it sounds like that may be about where I end up. 

My thinking with the airbags is similar to yours - they are not necessary but are nice to compensate for extra weight or to even out any side to side issues.    Like most people, I have also blown an airbag on my Land cruiser - however as long as they are only used for 'fine tuning' it isn't that big a deal if you pop one.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#8 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:46 PM

What works for someone else and their rig may or most likely may not suit what you feel you need for your type of travel.

Wait on your suspension upgrade and then fully load your rig. It will weigh more than you anticipate so then get rid of what you really don't need. Make an appointment  and drive to Alcan or Deaver which ever is in your neck of the woods.  Work with them in person to get exactly what you want.  You'll save time and money getting it right the first time.

Cheers 

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#9 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:46 AM

That is the conclusion I have come to as well.  I will start with the OME Dakar's until I get the load dialed in, then head over to alcan with the real world numbers and have them build custom springs.   Or maybe I will be happy with the Dakars (one can always hope). 

What works for someone else and their rig may or most likely may not suit what you feel you need for your type of travel.

Wait on your suspension upgrade and then fully load your rig. It will weigh more than you anticipate so then get rid of what you really don't need. Make an appointment  and drive to Alcan or Deaver which ever is in your neck of the woods.  Work with them in person to get exactly what you want.  You'll save time and money getting it right the first time.

Cheers 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#10 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:20 PM

An update and another question:

I ended up ordering a set of OME BP-51 shocks with Dakar leaf springs with the extra leaf, and firestone ride rite air bags.  I have installed the rear shocks and airbags, but am waiting to right before the camper arrives (next week) to install the heavier leafs and front coil overs as I think it will be close to undriveable with no load on the back.     So far so good - the BP-51s are straight forward to install and the ride is firm but still comfortable.   I haven't bothered adjusting them yet as I will wait until the camper is on. 

This brings me to the question - how much of the weight of a camper on a tacoma ends up on the front axel? 

The front coil overs that come with the BP51's come with the preload set to give 2" of lift with a front bumper and winch.   This ends up at almost 4" without the winch + bumper.     In order to change the preload,  I would need to take the coilovers to a shop with a spring compressor, so I am wondering what the approximate load on the front axel will be before I install the coil overs.   If  the increased load it more than a bumper + winch (250lb at a guess), I may want to leave them where they are and not reduce the ride height.  

Here is the rear suspension as it stands now:

kg9FHRyNpM4ny9fD7

Edited by rando, 07 September 2016 - 04:23 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tacoma, flatbed, fleet, suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users