• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,054 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:38 PM

If you had two seemingly opposed opinions for what is best for carrying the camper 6 months of the year (6 months off) ... all I can think is to ask those that might have done one or the other or both. Basically it is either an add-leaf or progressive spring pack. 

here are two quotes of what is offered:

Boise Spring Works:  

Adding an add-a-leaf will over stiffen the leaf pack. Fine when the camper is on but will be too stiff w/o the camper. Progressive leaf springs (removing the main and adding four smaller ones) will be able to handle the full range of weight… when the camper is on or when it is not. This only adds 1/2” over stock height. 

Auto Springs:

You must be talking about Boise Spring. We are Auto Spring.. You called
the wrong company. Removing the bottom overload leaf and installing 4
short leaves that are always in affect will ruin your factory soft ride
and that is what Boise Spring does..Our full length add a leaf does not
screw up your nice ride. We sell our add a leaf kits to Chevy/GM dealers
all across the US

Any tried opinions? Otherwise I will have to flip a coin!

( I tried and failed to contact the FWC guy who has a Colorado diesel and had the Boise spring pack put on)

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#2 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:00 PM

Every suspension is different. But I've never seen an add-a-leaf that didn't stiffen up the ride of a truck.

A well built progressive spring pack should be just that. Progressive! It will still be stiffer. But the concept is the more load the more leaves go into effect to support the weight. You might scan through my "Moon Truck" thread and check out the springs I'm doing on that. Progressive with 3 stage progressive overloads.

Personally I'll take a well designed spring pack over an add-a-leaf any day. But that's just my 2 cents and probably worth about as much. To me the main advantage to Add-a-leaf is they are quick, easy, and inexpensive. There are also several different designs. Some work better than others.

Most major cities have one or more spring places that work on heavy trucks. Any of these should be able to build you what you need without driving 2/3 the way across the country to get it done. No reflection on Boise Spring. Just your convenience.

Edited by Squatch, 19 August 2016 - 10:00 PM.

#3 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

I used super springs on my 06 tundra with a heavy Hawk for 2 years and my conclusion was, I would go with spring packs if I had it to do over. Add a leaf raised the rear of the truck almost 3" when unloaded and in the case of an extreme bump/pothole would bottom out. They did the job, but after talking with other owners and looking at other trucks with the replacement packs I think they would be a better choice. Camper is now on a F250 but super springs are still on the Tundra,I like the extra load capacity they provide. I did reduce the preload on them which helped the ride and lowered the rear of the truck about 2", recently hauled 300 bf of 4qtr oak for my dad, truck didn't squat a bit.

#4 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,054 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:21 AM

hauling wood is something  I can relate to.  Both your and Squatch pretty much re-confirmed my suspicions. I had (and loved) a 2001 Tacoma that carried my 2011 Eagle. I first added Ride Rite air bags... then feeling the bounce I added a leaf...worked great with the camper on...but MAN oh MAN it was crazy bounce (I live in the boonies with mostly dirt roads ...they aren't as bad as the old pavement)  and it got me to load 600 lbs of sand in the winter to keep traction.

I kinda of figured the progressive spring packs would be better ...funny they are $300 more than the add-a leaf...

I'm in the Northeast and all I have found so far with such a great Reputation is Boise Spring Works. If I have to I will drive there but would love to find a regional old CO. that could do the job.

Thanks for the reassurances from both of you....  

Henry David Thoreau

#5 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:38 AM

Maybe Boise can ship the pre made leaves with instructions and a local 4x4 shop can install them.

#6 zoie

zoie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:42 PM

another option that in reading this forum over the years  there are folks who take their camper off most of the year have had success with airbags.  Can add pressure to them for when the camper is on the truck and then reduce the pressure when the camper is off the truck.

#7 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:28 PM

I've seen at least a half-dozen add-a-leaf springs broken over the years, and experienced it once on one of our own trucks. An add-a-leaf adds stress where the original pack was not designed to take it. It's really a band-aid solution. The only exception is if the added leaf is designed as an option by the original maker.

Regarding progressive springs—while you might find a spring pack that is truly progressive, i.e. one that displays a rising rate as the load increases, it won't be able to both keep your truck level and maintain the same ride quality with a 1000-pound-plus difference in weight in the bed. If the truck is level empty, it will sag with the camper on. The only way I know how to prevent that—short of swapping the rear springs every time you load or unload the camper—is with air bags and adjustable shocks.

Likewise, other purported solutions, such as Timbrens, do not have any effect on weight-carrying ability until the truck sags under load.

Edited by JHanson, 21 August 2016 - 11:32 PM.

#8 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,054 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:25 PM

Hello again... I have fixed the air lifts and they will hopefully step in on that sag. I am waiting to hear (tomorrow?) from Boss in Canada on the 12 way adjustable shocks. They were contacted by their Company in Australia when I started my search. They are trying to get the measurements so they can have the folks in Australia make up a set for me. Once I get them I hope to also put a 2" leveling kit on the front as the Colorado has a low front end. After the shocks are done I will put the camper back on and do a test drive (now with the air bags) in hopes that it will be enough for me to be able to make it to Idaho (Boise Spring Works) next Spring and have the progressive spring pack installed.... It is right on my route to Alaska.  Another 2016 Colorado diesel with a FWC had it done there with good results.

At least that is the plan. I have not found anyone around here that has the experience with doing this with the 2016 diesel Colorado.... I like the fact that it has been done before.... experience is worth wait. 

Henry David Thoreau

#9 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:23 PM

That sounds like a good plan. 

I might have suggested this before: The stock bushings on Boss shocks don't last very long (unless they've changed them recently). Pro-actively fitting urethane bushings is a good idea.

Edited by JHanson, 22 August 2016 - 01:23 PM.

#10 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:14 PM

I'd skip the leveling kit. Why raise the front when you already have a sag issue in the rear. That rake was put there by the factory for a reason.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users