• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Zirdu

Zirdu

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. George, UT

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

I wasn't sure what kind of fridge I was getting in my new Grandby, ordered a few weeks ago.  After reading stories on high amp usage and no venting on some refrigerators, I was concerned.  Here is what my dealer (SLC) tells me.  Sounds like a much improved fridge, and I am not too concerned about having enough solar to power it now.  My current set up is a small Engle fridge using I think 1.9 Amp,  and a 120 W panel, which has been plenty in the South West for several years.  I am thinking of going to 200 W solar.  I could always add more later. 

3.  What is the make and model of the Refrigerator I am getting?  It says 85 L unit, but that is all I know.  I am trying to figure the amp usage for planning my solar addition.
The fridge that you ordered is a Isotherm CR85EL, made by Indel Webasto Marine.  It has a ​Danfoss compressor that uses roughly 2.5 Amps when running.  Their site lists the average consumption at 368W/24hours.  I am not sure how that number has been calculated.  Keep in mind that it is consumption while running, and how much it runs is a matter of conditions.  Summer in Death Valley is much different than fall in the Rocky Mountains.  Here is the link to this fridge website page.

http://www.indelweba...se-85-elegance/

4.  Is the refrigerator vented to the outside?  I hope so, as I installed an Engle in my current camper and it was vented inside, which I didn’t like so I modified it to vent out the existing vents for the 3-way fridge which I removed.

​Yes, all fridges have 2 vent panels on the outside of the camper.  An upper vent, and lower vent, directly behind the fridge.​

#2 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:43 AM

I have the Isotherm 130L in my new Hawk. I have dual on board batteries with the 160w solar panel.

I live in Southern California and have taken a four day trip to Utah around the 10,000+ foot level.

Mine will run on high with no problem. I ran it probably about a week at home before the trip. On the trip I turned it down (temperature up) a couple clicks just to have it not run so much at night.

It passed my test - ice cream sandwiches in the freezer.

The nice thing is it runs very quiet.

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:04 AM

Looking at getting a fridge for my shell.  How did you guys decide what size to get?  And Tim, can you actually freeze anything in the freezer compartment?  Advertising blurb I saw says no, just keep stuff frozen.

#4 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:52 AM

Our 2014 Grandby has the Dometic 80L and we place unfrozen items in and they freeze, ice cream actually needs to sit for 5 minutes to get the scoop in. Never had a problem. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Edited by longhorn1, 25 August 2016 - 01:13 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#5 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:00 PM

Looking at getting a fridge for my shell.  How did you guys decide what size to get?  And Tim, can you actually freeze anything in the freezer compartment?  Advertising blurb I saw says no, just keep stuff frozen.

Isotherm Cruise 65 makes ice and I've put meat in it and frozen it without a problem when plans changed, I run a remote temp sensor and my fridge temp typically registers mid 30's and freezer in the single digits but there is a bit of variation from time to time,

Biggest problem is that I got the 65 which was a direct  fit for the original 3-way, will replace it with a larger one at some point, the 90 with separate freezer compartment looks interesting but I'll probably end up with the 130.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#6 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:08 PM

I freeze things in my Dometic 65 as well, but I understand the Isotherm is much more efficient that the Dometic, which is why FWC switched brands.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#7 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:23 PM

I have the Dometic 80 in my 2015 Hawk and am very happy with it. Freezes stuff with no problems. Two vents and a fan on the compressor. 

I also have 2 Dometic stand alone compressor fridges that are left over from my pre-FWC days. They have digital controls and can be set does to single digits (F). They will freeze a water bottle solid in about 3 hours.

Good stuff. 

They are power hogs and I hear the new ones are better. 

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:04 PM

good to know that you can freeze stuff in these units.  Balancing size/capacity/power usage/noise/convenience ... quite the juggling act!

Boss lady wants a fridge/freezer for veggies/meats.  I want room for beer, meat and veggies... in that order  :)

Any thoughts on TruckFridge vs Indel/Webasto?  Both made by the same firm, but supposedly not the same quality, according to Indel/Webasto?

Noise levels on Indel/TF vs Dometic vs Engel?

#9 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

Anyone familiar with swapping the 3-way for a compressor type refer?

Our NorCold is No Cold (stole that from someone here) and I've ordered a Dometic 65L.

The wiring for the old fridge has a 15A breaker, and two decent gauge wires that were for the 12V operation.

My question is, will that be sufficient for the 5.5A Dometic or do I need to do some wiring to install the new unit?

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#10 97grandby

97grandby

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:39 PM

Anyone familiar with swapping the 3-way for a compressor type refer?

Our NorCold is No Cold (stole that from someone here) and I've ordered a Dometic 65L.

The wiring for the old fridge has a 15A breaker, and two decent gauge wires that were for the 12V operation.

My question is, will that be sufficient for the 5.5A Dometic or do I need to do some wiring to install the new unit?

I went from an Ice Box to the same Dometic 65L. I used the wiring that was back there at first and I was having all kinds of issues. At first I think that is also due to the fact I had no venting. So all in the same weekend, I added a dedicated 10 gauge wire kit from the battery to the fridge added a 4x12 vent at the top along with a computer fan (3.5inches) and all my problems of dead batteries and not keeping the fridge cold stopped at once. I'm guessing the venting was by in large the biggest issue, which you shouldn't have as I'm sure you already have venting. However, I like to do it once, so I don't have to do it over. I would run a dedicated solid 10awg wire (on a fuse of course) when you swap out everything and enjoy your new fridge. 

"Overkill is under rated" 

my Grandby upgrades--http://www.wanderthe...-to-me-grandby/

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users