• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:52 PM

Leaving tomorrow to head to Whitebird, ID to float the Lower Salmon.  We'll take out at Heller Bar on the Snake then head to Clarkston WA to resupply.  After that heading south to Joseph OR.  Does anyone know how the Huckleberry season is going in those areas?  Just looking to pick a couple of quarts to stash in the freezer, our supply is almost gone.

-Bill

Billm

2008 Frontier with a 2010 Eagle shell

#2 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

Haven't hears about that area but I know further north the season has pretty well finished up.  Was up at Priest Lake last weekend and most of what was still on the bushes has dried up to the Huck version of a raisin.  I would say best bet would be north facing with some sort of small creek still supplying water at a pretty decent elevation.

Sorry for the bad news...  

Enjoy the Salmon, love those big sandy beaches and the warm water, hate coming out on the great Snake Lake where the wind always seems to blow upstream!

Bob

PS. I've seen frozen Hucks as cheap as $35/gallon roadside this year, fresh at $50/gallon.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

Huckleberries were good the first part of August at the crest on highway 12 in Idaho. Lots of folks were over from Missoula picking. We didn't see any huckleberries in the Wallowas when we dropped into Oregon.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users