33 replies to this topic

#1 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:58 PM

We are creatures of habit and like to visit favorite spots when conditions are ideal.  Such is our love affair with Loon Lake in August.  It's Susan's favorite place to celebrate her birthday that month.

We left town on Thursday after work.  Hwy 49 from Auburn to Cool is a twisty set of curves down and up the American River canyon, but the Tundra/Hawk was up to it.  The sway bar in the rear helps with cornering while the first gen Tundra V8 provides plenty of power, although the mileage could be better.

Soon enough we reached Georgetown, the last place for Jeepers to stock up for the Rubicon Trail.  We turned left and went up Wentworth Springs Rd., driving through the devastation of the 2014 King Fire.  This drive ranges from 540' above sea level at the Hwy 49 American River crossing, rising almost six thousand feet to the alpine granite of Loon Lake at 6378'.   Small burgs are passed along with way, including Uncle Tom's Cabin.

We arrived just before dusk and quickly dismounted our two kayaks at the boat ramp.  Susan took Callie in her kayak and towed my boat behind her, setting off for the beach below our camp while I drove the camper to our site.  I walked down with bright headlamp shining and met her at dark where we secured our kayaks for the night.  It was a quick five minute walk from our camp to our boats for the next three days, which is why this spot works so well for us.

By 9pm we had our campsite set up and our boats in position.  Life was grand.  We celebrated by eating fresh mex with tomatoes from the garden with plenty of chiles.  

---------

Friday morning we took our time and hit the water at a leisurely pace. 

We set our sights on a group of granite boulders several hundred yards off shore.

DSCF0775-L.jpg

Ultimately we were in the sun from 10 to 4pm, which is about the maximum despite full brim hats and plenty of SPF sunscreen and sun shirts.  We toured the back of the lake and enjoyed a wonderful spot with our own beach complete with excellent waters for swimming.  There's nothing as refreshing as jumping into an alpine lake when the heat of August is upon you.

DSCF0778-L.jpg

We had recently debated shade structures and entertained several large systems, including a Kelty Cabana, which we sent back.   Instead, i deployed a cheap Grocery Outlet umbrella, but added a few guy lines and we had just enough shade for all three of us.  Low budget and effective!

DSCF0785-L.jpg

Plus it looks sporty too.  Now where can I order a frosty margarita?

DSCF0783-L.jpg

Susan took Callie out for a private cruise.  

DSCF0805-L.jpg

Callie did really well, although at one point her boat started yawing back and forth wildly, but she sat down when we encouraged her and rode it out.  Captain Callie!

_R0A4328-L.jpg

_R0A4401-L.jpg

We explored the back bays of the beautiful Pleasant Lake.

Callie enjoyed running the shoreline.

_R0A4537-L.jpg

DSCF0888-L.jpg

The scenery really is spectacular.

_R0A5140-L.jpg

DSCF0930-L.jpg

DSCF0910-L.jpg

It was a fine start to a three day weekend.

We parked the boats on the shore, using a cable lock to secure them and carried our paddles back to camp.  We encountered a large toad on the way back up to camp, causing me to recall the Calaveras Jumping Frog story by Mark Twain.  There were many small toads or frogs in the shoreline rocks.

DSCF0941-L.jpg

Our NorCold 3 way refrigerator gave up on this trip and each day the temperature rose from the mid-fifties to mid-sixties.  The propane flame was strong and the coil was hot, but the inside cooling was negligible.  I decided to BBQ the chicken I brought, which was still good.  Callie got her fair share, but the meat bees were a constant problem.  I packed down the Webber Q into the bear box after it cooled to keep the bees and any critters from temptation.

Hot showers were delivered via our Zodi and popup tent system each night.  

The Perseid meteor shower was predicted to be a good one, with a late setting moon.  I set up my tripod and recorded 25 sec exposures using a timer until the batteries gave out after 400 frames.  My wide angle 14mm view was hampered by the trees near camp, and I didn't actually record that many meteors, only about a dozen.  Interestingly, the light trails all show some sort of prism effect.

_MG_5175-L.jpg

Stay tuned for Part II

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:12 PM

What a wonderful birthday for SR! And when will Callie be getting her Captain's License? The meat bees in the mid elevations have been at record levels this year. Everyone mentions them. A couple weeks ago on a short Sunday hike during a break I had one quietly crawl up my short sleeve unnoticed. It stung me twice in the armpit as I swung my pack on. There is nothing like the yellow jacket dance.

Staying tuned here and got the popcorn on! Looking forward to the next part. :)

The late evening shot with the calm lake and orange kayaks is wonderful.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 CarlG

CarlG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the TR. I haven't been up there in summertime for quite a few years, it looks wonderful. Great photos, and that looks like one happy dog!

#4 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:38 PM

Wonderful trip report Mr. Lighthawk. Looking forward to pt. 2. Love the pics!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:27 PM

Andy, that is a beautiful lake, thanks for bring us along!

I am haunted by waters

#6 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:34 PM

The meat bees in the mid elevations have been at record levels this year. Everyone mentions them. A couple weeks ago on a short Sunday hike during a break I had one quietly crawl up my short sleeve unnoticed. It stung me twice in the armpit as I swung my pack on. There is nothing like the yellow jacket dance.

The meat bees are terrible this year, especially around lake shores.  SR got stung twice last weekend on a hike up at Grouse Ridge.  The dog doesn't like them either.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#7 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:41 PM

Lighthawk,  Great TR.  What a beautiful spot to spend a long week end.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#8 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:44 PM

Great TR. What a lucky pup. Did you guys get ride of the inflatable sea eagal kayaks? Which camp ground did you folks stay at? 

Edited by super doody, 25 August 2016 - 08:10 PM.

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#9 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:53 PM

Just plain beautiful. I'm staying tuned.

Meteors give off an emission spectrum that is mostly due to the air around the meteor being heated, but also to material being ablated off the meteoroid itself. Speed of entry plays a role, too. That's awesome that you caught colors in your images. I guess what I'm trying to say is those colors could be real and not an artifact of the camera.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#10 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:43 PM

Meat bees? I'm sure you are talking about yellow jackets in the dry dayd of August

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users