14 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:30 PM

I have a 30 year old Swiss ceramic water filter (Katadyn) that does an excellent job of providing water that is safe to drink, but it is really, REALLY slow. I'm thinking about replacing it with a lighter filter with a much higher flow rate/volume. Right now, the MSR filters that screw on to a water bottle looks like a good solution.

What are others using? How long does it take to pump a liter? Any weak points in the construction? Would you buy it again?

Thanks in advance!

I am haunted by waters

#2 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:18 PM

I use a Steri-Pen and it works great and is super light weight.  The big drawback is that, although it renders water safe to drink, it's not a filter, so you might find yourself drinking mucky water that's safe, but tastes bad.  The Steri-Pen is great for backpacking when weight is an issue or for a handy lightweight back-up water purifying system (like a trip to Mexico for example).

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:35 PM

Mr. Sage, we've been carrying and using Katadyn Hiker or Hiker Pro for decades.

Katadyn

advertising says a litter a minute for filter time; in a perfect world, maybe.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:06 PM

hiker pro for me.  120 strokes to fill a liter bottle.  Filter seems to last a long time too. 

I'm looking at ways to do a lot more filtering though, for filling up the whole 20 gal on board tank at a river or other questionable source.  

Any ideas?

Vic

#5 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:41 PM

I was on a trip with a couple of other guys and they had this filter- worked like a charm and no pumping:

https://www.rei.com/...0l-water-filter

I use the MSR ceramic filter- similar to Katydyn you have. Works well for emergencies but I like the Base Camp approach better.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#6 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:57 PM

I was on a trip with a couple of other guys and they had this filter- worked like a charm and no pumping:

https://www.rei.com/...0l-water-filter

When I was active with the middle school backpacking club we tried one of these. I was thinking of getting one for myself. You could hand from the roof and just place the tube in your campers water fill. 

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#7 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:41 AM

I also have the hiker pro.  But if had to replace what I got, I would go with one of the hanging filter bag things like takeiteasy linked to.  There are youtube videos detailing how to make your own.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#8 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:46 AM

In the camper I keep the Katadyn Hiker. For my last backpacking trip I took a Sawyer filter. It is very lightweight and small, but takes about 5 minutes to get one liter filtered. Reviews say it can clog pretty quickly, but I've only used it with clear water and so far, no problems with clogging.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#9 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

take a look at the units from Rapid Pure. Different technology. I think you will be impressed.

cwd

CWDT

#10 Bigfoot Dave

Bigfoot Dave

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:36 PM

I have been using the Sawyer Squeeze on the trail and MSR gravity filter on the Lake Superior/canoe trip rig. Both have worked great for the last 3 years. Bigfoot Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users