64 replies to this topic

#1 CarlG

CarlG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:20 PM

Been waiting all summer to start this thread! After a process that was significantly more hassle than expected, the flatbed is finally on the truck, and the camper gets installed tomorrow. 

qcG34ME.jpg

#2 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:51 PM

Looks good, wish I had storage boxes like those. Keep the pics coming.

#3 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:20 AM

That is a very nice looking bed.

Good luck with the new setup.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#4 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:24 AM

Sweet!

#5 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

Fantastic!   We have a Fleet flatbed coming in shortly and have been working hard to get our flatbed ready for it.    The Alumline flatbeds look really good.    One question though - why the 'head board'?  Do you plan on removing the camper and using it as a flatbed truck?

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#6 elmo_4_vt

elmo_4_vt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:51 PM

Looks real nice... Were the issues with Alum-Line or the fitment?  I had issues with Alum-Line getting the dimensions correct, but they eventually got it corrected.

#7 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:48 PM

Plenty of pictures after the install. Love those new campers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#8 lzpup

lzpup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:02 AM

Looks great!

#9 CarlG

CarlG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:26 AM

The Alumline flatbeds look really good.    One question though - why the 'head board'?  Do you plan on removing the camper and using it as a flatbed truck?

That's right, I've got 14" removable sides that go on it. Time will tell how frequently I actually use the truck in this way. Here's a shot with the sides on (and my helper getting them off)

AIzIDPL.jpg

Looks real nice... Were the issues with Alum-Line or the fitment?  I had issues with Alum-Line getting the dimensions correct, but they eventually got it corrected.

No issues with fitment, the dimensions were spot on. That said, the ordering process was less than smooth. Communication with them is a bit spotty, timelines slipped, etc. The whole process was a bit stressful, I think greatly exacerbated by the fact that they're in Iowa and I'm in California, and I'm not near any installer they'd dealt with before. I got the impression that Alum-Line is a bit swamped by their own success at the moment, and that a bed like this one is small potatoes to them.

Edited by CarlG, 31 August 2016 - 03:39 AM.

#10 CarlG

CarlG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:12 AM

Install day today! Between the install and selling the original bed of the truck, this was an all-day job. (Disclaimer: I'm lucky enough to live within easy driving distance of FWC in Woodland, CA)

Warning - lots of pictures ahead.

pAKdaX5.jpg

Who needs jacks when you've got a fork truck? I couldn't help myself but be a looky-loo during the install process. They got it on the truck on wood blocks with the fork truck, and then lowered it with jacks.

e7of7Kd.jpg

Ta-da! I can't believe it's in my driveway. And no, don't worry, I didn't drive home with the stairs attached.

RtX2wIw.jpg

Impressed with the stairs, they seem very sturdy. It's a long way up!

Pqzbbcn.jpg

This was a pleasant surprise - I didn't think that the flatbeds models had over-cab beds that pulled out because of the underbed storage, but it does! Plenty of room to stretch out.

AeVS4we.jpg

Here's a shot of the full-length under-bed storage area.

YNYakpg.jpg

Here's an extra bit of storage under the dinette, since we skipped the interior shower option.

Gwn9SSl.jpg

Here's a detail shot of how the rear end lines up.

CQBqoVq.jpg

A shot of the solar controller and levels panel. For those that are interested, I asked about the battery separator and was told that FWC has indeed switched to the blue sea ACR, but you can't get to it (easily) - it's mounted behind this panel.

Ok, that's about it for now. In the next few days I'll be making my first "mod": a bunk / raised cot for the rear dinette so both my kids can sleep back there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users