64 replies to this topic

#21 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:41 AM

We briefly met CarlG on Henness Pass over the weekend and can attest that this is one fine looking rig.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#22 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:46 PM

Going off topic a bit - how is that Drive? I have always been tempted but it is hard to find out what the real road conditions are. 

We briefly met CarlG on Henness Pass over the weekend and can attest that this is one fine looking rig.

#23 CarlG

CarlG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:25 PM

Small world - the 1st FWC we see in the wild on our shakedown trip happens to be a WTW member!

Going off topic a bit - how is that Drive? I have always been tempted but it is hard to find out what the real road conditions are. 

Easy. A bit bumpy in places, but I think you could do it in pretty much any vehicle.

#24 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:11 AM

Wow.  Big congrats on taking the fam and the dog out for the shakedown trip.  Forest City is a special place.

We regret not spending more time chatting with you before the quad came barreling down the road.  

Since we're on the topic of Henness Pass, how could you not notice the abandoned vehicle sticking into the road?

We stopped and took pics of his license plate and noted the reclined drivers seat and guitar.  Much later on, we met the local Kilroy's tow flatbed and car owner.  When asked how/why he abandoned his car, he only said, "It's a long story and not a good one."

We suspect GPS may have mislead the young man.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#25 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

CarlG,  Instead of notching pillows, you might want to consider making 1 or 2 small cushions to fit between the legs, bolsters, that way you have full cushions if you are traveling without kids and the use of the dinette.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#26 CarlG

CarlG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:48 PM

...how could you not notice the abandoned vehicle sticking into the road?

Yeah, we did notice the Focus sitting on the road as we had to squeeze by. It didn't look stuck to us, and the reclined seat made us think maybe someone had slept in it? Kudos on following up on it, we thought maybe the owner was off in the woods taking care of business or something?

CarlG,  Instead of notching pillows, you might want to consider making 1 or 2 small cushions to fit between the legs, bolsters, that way you have full cushions if you are traveling without kids and the use of the dinette.

Wife solved this problem already. The original 4 cushions do fit as-is with the cot legs. I was just being too dainty in my efforts in the new camper  :D

#27 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:46 PM

Quick question for Carl or other flatbed owners - what does the underside of the flatbed camper look like?  I remember reading somewhere that the underside had 'skids' on it, and that you could fill in the holes between the skids with foam insulation for a warmer floor.    Is that true?

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#28 CarlG

CarlG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:23 PM

rando - 

I'm going to assume you mean the underside of the flatbed itself, and not the camper. I'd guess the underside of the camper is flat (?) but I'm not sure because I haven't been brave enough to take it off yet.

The underside of *my* flatbed is indeed built on framing members that I guess you could fill with insulation. Of course, this is the flatbed made by Alum Line and so other flatbed designs might be different.

I'm skeptical about just how much thermal loss there is through the floor vs the soft upper part though.

I just so happen to have a shot of the bottom of the bed before it got put on the truck, so here you go:

Y4hDvZ9.jpg

#29 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:10 AM

Sorry for not being clearer - I did mean the underside of the camper.   I swear I read that the underside of the camper itself was made of two layers of plywood - a solid one on top (the floor of the camper) and a frame work that actually sits on the aluminium flatbed with some voids.   I was mistaken once before though.    

I agree that it won't make much of a difference, but insulation foam is both light and cheap, so why not?

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#30 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:11 AM

Ok I am not crazy!   Here is where I read about the skids and insulation:

http://www.expeditio...185#post2015185

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma