3 replies to this topic

#1 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs & York, UK

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

https://rrfw.org/riv...eeded-august-29

Late in the day on Monday, August 29, 2016, legislation was introduced in the Navajo Nation Tribal Council to build a tramway in the Grand Canyon. Under Navajo Nation Law, the public the world over now has just five days to comment on this legislation.

Sponsored by Fort Defiance Councilman Ben Bennett, the legislation gives the green light to a massive development on the rim of the Grand Canyon. The project would include a huge resort, airport, helicopter tours and tramway to the Canyon bottom at the confluence of the Little Colorado and main Colorado Rivers.

The project anticipates between 800,000 to over 2,000,000 annual visitors per year at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

A group of Phoenix developers, known as Confluence Partners LLC, would receive from 92% to 88% of revenues generated. The LLC has no prior company experience in any type of construction.

The Navajo Nation legislation spells out the duties of the partners, and requires the Navajo Nation to expend at a minimum of $65 million for a 20 mile all-weather road to the development location, as well as provide power, water, and telecommunications. A loan to the Navajo Nation to cover these costs would be repaid out of any royalties received.

Legislation passed in 1975 by Congress recognized that the entire Grand Canyon has many managers, including the National Park Service, the Navajo Nation and other tribes and agencies. The law requires the Secretary of Interior to work with all the Grand Canyon’s many managers in providing “protection and interpretation of the Grand Canyon in its entirety.” The legislation, known as the Grand Canyon Enlargement Act, required the Secretary of Interior to work with the Navajo Nation to protect the Grand Canyon, designated a World Heritage Site.

River Runners for Wilderness encourages its members to write to the Navajo Nation and Secretary of Interior Sally Jewell. Tell the Nation and Secretary Jewell:

- You support a tramway-free Grand Canyon.

- Ask that Navajo tribal funds be spent on vital needs such as housing, sanitation, telecommunication and water supply projects across the entire Western Navajo lands.

- Remind the Navajo Nation and Secretary Jewell of her duty to work with the Navajo to protect and preserve the Grand Canyon as the 1975 Grand Canyon Enlargement Act required.

You can contact the Navajo Nation here:

comments@navajo-nsn.gov

Or in writing, mailed to:

Executive Director, Office of Legislative Services

P.O. Box 3390

Window Rock, AZ 86515

(928) 871-7590

Navajo Nation law requires that all comments, either in the form of letters and or e-mails must include your name, position title, address for written comments and a valid e-mail address. Anonymous comments will not be included in the Legislation packet.

Please cc Secretary Jewell here:

Secretary of the Interior

The Honorable Sally Jewell

Department of the Interior

1849 C Street, N.W.

Washington DC 20240

The nine page short version of the over 200 page bill is available for review here:

http://www.navajonat...AUG/0293-16.pdf

For further information, please contact Tom Martin at River Runners For Wilderness, tommartin@rrfw.org

Additional information is also available here:

http://savetheconfluence.com/

#2 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:03 PM

American Whitewater also has a petition and a letter writing campaign powered by everyaction.com that gives you the basic customizable outline of an email and will forward it to both the Navajo nation and Secretary Jewell.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#3 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs & York, UK

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:37 AM

Excellent site, especially because it copies to Sally Jewell, Secretary of the Interior, and it's very easy to use.  Thanks.

Remember - deadline is Friday!!!

American Whitewater also has a petition and a letter writing campaign powered by everyaction.com that gives you the basic customizable outline of an email and will forward it to both the Navajo nation and Secretary Jewell.

#4 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:02 PM

I found this "form letter" which I edited and sent to the Dept of the Interior......

Dear Navajo Nation and Secretary Jewell,

My name is xxx xxxxxx. I am a student and outdoors-woman from the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, UT. I heard from a friend yesterday about the proposed tramway in the Grand Canyon. While I am not shocked by the inevitable human desire for expansion and capitalist development, I am extremely saddened that it has to be this special, important place.
I have yet to raft the Grand Canyon, or even see it for that matter. And yet, I can't bear to imagine corrupting it's eons-old walls for the sake of a few quick bucks and another cheap tourist trap. To me, the Grand Canyon should be a place that is accessible only by natural means, namely river-running. Once the hard-work, preparation, and patience are removed from the process of accessing a place, it lessens the intrinsic value of that place.
For the sake of this important place, I ask that you please:
1. Support a tramway-free Grand Canyon.
2. Spend Navajo tribal funds on vital needs such as housing, sanitation, telecommunication and water supply projects across the entire Western Navajo lands.
3. Remember that it is the duty of the Navajo Nation and you, Secretary Jewell, to work with the Navajo to protect and preserve the Grand Canyon as the 1975 Grand Canyon Enlargement Act requires.
To wrap-up, I encourage you all to watch "The Important Places" (https://vimeo.com/126544483) and to think about where your values on this matter should ultimately lie. Thank you for your time and careful consideration.

Sincerely,

Web site feedback

https://www.doi.gov/feedback

Thanks for letting us know! Please folks lets flood the emails!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users