AC Noise Iota

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:00 PM

Got the tester and it says it's wired ok. Who knows. I will just have to use my 150w convertor and deal with the occasional fan noise.  Next I will pull the stereo out to see if it's properly grounded

Sent from my SM-G930V using Wander The West mobile app

Attached Thumbnails

• 1474052294167.jpg

Edited by BobM, 18 September 2016 - 10:42 PM.

#12 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:20 AM

Sounds like the Iota was eliminated back in post # 10?

So, it could be a ground loop issue, which is probably the direction you're headed in by checking the stereo ground.  Most electronic things plugged into an outlet have some sort of EMI filtering, usually consisting of capacitors from each line to the ground, as a result there are stray AC currents flowing around on the safety ground. The magnitude of these currents are limited by design for safety reasons.

So, what we want to do is to provide one path back to the safety ground to avoid contaminating other things.

In the distribution panel, the AC safety ground (usually green wire) should be connected to the panel itself, the camper chassis, the DC (-) ground, and any outlet safety ground contacts. Ideally, all these things tie together at only one point in the panel, so that loops cannot be formed. The AC neutral (white) should NOT be bonded to the safety ground in the panel or elsewhere (except of course in the house service entrance). Make sure all connections are clean and tight!

Beyond that, maybe trying a different (manufacture) power adapter for your laptop, a 12VDC adapter might do the trick.

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#13 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:01 AM

If it's a ground loop problem a ground lift adapter plug would be a quick fix.

I don't have this problem with my laptop in my 2014 Grandby.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AC Noise, Iota

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users