#1 karsonb

karsonb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:25 PM

Hello all!, I have been lurking for several months, and have searched for info on NCO Alaskans (older ones). Can you who know, post on this thread the year, length, and approximate dry weight of your NCO Alaskan.  This will help me zero in my search for a used option for my intended application. I know that Bryan has some good info on current production models and weights, It seems that some of the older ones are lighter, as they don't sport all the bells and whistles of the newer production ones.  I want to see how they compare in real numbers.  Thanks all for your help!! I really like the Alaskan campers, and in the end, I may go new, currently I am thinking seriously of finding a good used one and either my own retrofit/refurb or possibly a factory refurb, as I know that they do an excellent job of that too at the factory shop.

Karson

#2 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:17 PM

Welcome Karsonb....

mine...a 1970 10' non cab over

dry weight...1780#

wet and loaded for fishing...2080#

you'll find most will fall between 1500-2000# dry and will "wet out" around 1800-2200#

repairs, wood risers for new cab heights, and reico jacks account for most of the weight

I totally expect the CO I'm working on to be on the top of that range...due to the new riser and reico THD's

good luck on your search

Edited by Rusty, 12 September 2016 - 07:17 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#3 Willys Addict

Willys Addict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationParksville B.C.

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:51 AM

Trust Rusty, he knows, my 67 8' NCO most likely started at the 1500 mark with a top burner stove and fridge, BUT, in rebuilding I have added about 100 LBS. to the roof using solid fir and Oak and building a thicker frame, another 100 will be added to the bottom section, full roof rack ETC. ETC. so I think I will be closer to 1900-2000 when done. If your looking for an Alaskan weight should not be a factor. :huh:

#4 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:58 AM

I posted a couple of spec sheets in the gallery and the one from 1993 shows prices and weights.

1993Alaskan1

The one from 1981 just shows weights

1981Alaskan2

Edited by thisoldcamper, 13 September 2016 - 08:59 AM.

#5 karsonb

karsonb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:04 PM

Excellent info, thank you very much Gents!  I did get a reply on a query to Bryan Wheat on older NCO weights, from the factory he said that they were in the 1200-1500 lb range.  Another question I have about the NCO's is sleep accomodations, How many adults? is it a 2 person afair? How do they fit in newer trucks?  I just purchased an '08 F-150 and with Timbrens and E rated tires, I will be good on carrying ability, just wondering about box side wall clearance and such.  It looks as though I may need to affix some 2x4 or 2x6 "shims" under the floor of the camper to get it to clear comfortably with the bed sidwalls of the truck.  Thanks again!

#6 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:05 AM

2 persons....and there was a hammock option for children....not very effective for quality sleep

the rear box out under the refer in the older models is too wide for the newer trucks...typical width reduction is 2.5" - 3"...the body width between the wheel wells is ok...but does nicely with a 1.5" shim along it's length for a snug fit

take a look at this thread

http://www.wanderthe...84-help-please/

Edited by Rusty, 01 November 2016 - 12:06 AM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#7 karsonb

karsonb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:40 PM

Rusty, thanks for the link to the other thread. I read through it, and your cautions are noted.  I looked up my GVW and Axle limits, Ford publishes the cargo cap of my rig at 1940 lbs.  With Timbrens and E rated tires I should be able to safely go a little over that. I am going to look for an older NCO or maybe an older 8 ft CO, then lighten things up by removing some of the heavy items and retrofitting with lighter gear.  I am confident that I can get something to fall in the 1300-1500 lb range then it leaves me a little wiggle room for gear and such.  I am enhancing the engine/drive output to compensate for more work as well.  I don't plan on going long distances with the camper, just short hauls, and quick trips.  I will start a new thread to chronicle my development as it comes together for others to draw on.

#8 karsonb

karsonb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:38 AM

Can anyone speak to the differences in wind resistance going down the road of the C/O models vs NCO's?

#9 Willys Addict

Willys Addict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationParksville B.C.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:44 PM

By design a cab over should have less resistance as a smaller surface is being met, an NCO has the arrow dynamics of a bumble bee. A flat surface for the wind to hit and either go over the top or down and then out the sides.

#10 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:28 PM

the raised heights from the top of the cab are about the same....but the CO has the advantage of "windsheild lift".  The direct impact of the wind is lessened....there is, however an eddy current formed under the CO and the top of the cab....

several members on other boards of WTW have designed wind deflectors which continue the windshield effect up even higher....probably a good idea for those of us with crew cabs and an extended distance between the windshield and the front edge of the CO

The NCO only has about 10" of additional height from the cab.....cross country trips with and without the NCO have negligible differences...I get 17-19 mpg with or without on a 7.3 liter diesel....even towing a boat 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users