#1 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:20 AM

Hey folks,

Been lurking and reading for a while here.  Heading down to Torrey, Utah to pick up our 2005 Hawk shell on Sept 26.  Pretty excited about this!

Sold my 2000 Tundra a few weeks ago and picked up a 2002 GMC 2500HD with the 8.1L/Allison combo.

This is a whole lotta truck compared to the 3/4 sized Tundra.  The truck is a real find, 203K km, never seen snow or much rain even.  I have all the service records, and even so I have been slaving away getting the truck ready, and after 80+ items that I've repaired/changed/updated, she is ready to go.

Truck pics are in my Gallery - http://www.wanderthe.../996-vicharder/

Camper pics to follow next week!  

Vic

#2 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:46 AM

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Wander The West mobile app

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:56 AM

Congrats Vic! Travel safe and enjoy!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:31 AM

Congrats Vic. I'm happy that it's all finally coming together for you. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your new setup. Rock on dude!

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#5 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:59 AM

The truck looks to be in great shape.  By the time you get your used shell on there, you will have quite a nice unit at a great price... all in.  Good for you.  I look forward to seeing the camper on the truck soon.

Did GMC have the dual zone climate control in 2002.  Where you could adjust the temp on the passenger side independent of the drivers side?  I always thought that was a great idea, but then it disappeared.

Edited by Bill D, 18 September 2016 - 07:04 AM.

#6 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:32 PM

Nice find and good choice on the shock upgrade!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:18 PM

thanks guys!  

smlobx, I laughed when I pulled out the stock shocks... nothing left in them!  I've always liked Koni's, and these vastly improved the ride.  I replaced the steering damper with a Koni too, even though two mechanics who inspected the truck said the old one was fine.  HAH, nothing left in that one either.

BillD, yes, the combined price will be quite reasonable; even so, the upgrades and features are coming at considerable $$$$.  Already planning for water, heat, fridge, solar.....  Hope to get much of that done over the winter and be ready for camping season in the Rockies next spring.  My M3 is already complaining about getting shoved out of the garage in favor of the truck while I work on it... wait until it sees that my new love doesn't even have its own wheels!   :P

Oh, and no dual climate controls.

#8 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:31 PM

Nice! I've read a few postings where you've mentioned a Hawk shell, was wondering if I missed the official announcement :)

Have a great trip!

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#9 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:53 PM

The truck looks to be in great shape.  By the time you get your used shell on there, you will have quite a nice unit at a great price... all in.  Good for you.  I look forward to seeing the camper on the truck soon.

Did GMC have the dual zone climate control in 2002.  Where you could adjust the temp on the passenger side independent of the drivers side?  I always thought that was a great idea, but then it disappeared.

I have dual zone on my 2015 GMC - works great. 

#10 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:37 PM

Welcome and congratulations. 

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hawk, 2500HD, 8.1L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users