• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:21 PM

I'm interested in getting input from anyone who has had experience with an F150 with the payload package and either the Ecoboost engine or the V8.  I'm curious about what Ford add's to give it the increased payload rating.  I currently own a '99 F250 4x4 Superduty and have had my Grandby Shell on full time.  Sometimes, I also tow a trailer in the 3,600 - 5,200# range while the Grandby is on the truck.  I'm considering selling the Superduty and another vehicle that I use as a daily driver to get one rig for both applications.  If I went this route with an F150, I'd remove the Grandby when towing.  I read the F150 can be a great tow rig for a trailer this size but am curious about how it would handle a Grandby Shell, assuming it has the payload package.  Also like to know about MPG realized with a camper or when towing, as well as for daily driving without a camper or when towing.  From research I've done, it appears one can get the F150 with a variety of gear ratios, so any feedback on that is also appreciated.

#2 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

The 5.0 V-8 works best with the 3.73 rear ratio with a Granby and payload package (if available in the redesigned F-150).  The 4.1 rear is for heavy towing (10,000 pounds) with the turbo six (if available with the redesigned  F-150).   15-16 mpg for 70,000 miles of travel with a Granby on full time, no trailer.  16 mpg is easy in dry high altitude  driving.  15-15.5 mpg at low altitude, humid air.  We drive 61-69 mph, 70+ mph will lower the mpg below these numbers.  

Edited by iowahiker, 27 September 2016 - 05:37 PM.

#3 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:14 PM

Hi TGK
We looked briefly at the F150. I know they have come a long way in the tech department with everything now days. Probably a non issue but ford is using different metals to drop weight of vehicle, I think Toyota went composite. Just saying this so you can check to see how mounting the camper in the new F150 would be and have no problem. For me the numbers weren't adding up, and I guess I can't get the old saying " There's no replacment for displacement " out of the old head. I also liked bigger wheels, more ground clearance from the F250.
I also was thinking I'd be more in line with the weight of what we'd be putting in the bed.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#4 NRVhawk

NRVhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:57 PM

TGK,

When I looked into this a year ago, if you bought the payload package (package 622) with the 2.7L Ecoboost  and the 145" bed, you got an e-locker with a 3.73 ratio, a beefed up 9.75" gearset, and a mechanical parking brake (as opposed to the standard electrically actuated parking brake).  That gets you a GVWR of 7000 lbs, if I remember right, and a payload of around 2100 lb.  The rear axle GAWR is increased to 3800 lb (as opposed to 3300 lb for the standard axle for the 2.7 EB).   Not sure about what the payload package gets you with other engines.

I have a 2015 F150 with the 2.7 EB but no payload package.   With no camper, I get 22 to 23 mpg in all-around driving with the 3.73 e-locker and 10-ply tires.  With camper, loaded to 6500 GVWR (1727 lb payload), I get about 17 mpg.

Rusty

New River Valley, VA

#5 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for the input from everyone.  I've done some further snooping on the web and found the following for 2015 F150 to current.  This specifies the 8' bed.  However, I believe a similar pkg with slightly lower total payload is available for the crew cab version.  Of course, the question then remains of whether I'm simply swapping the '99 SuperDuty for a similarly stiff suspension on a new F150.  I realize on the F150 the frame and other features do not match the SuperDuty.

"The Heavy-Duty Payload Package increases the truck's payload and towing capabilities with an eight-foot cargo box, upgraded springs, tires, and wheels, as well as a heavier duty leaf supension. The package is available for the regular cab or extended cab (SuperCab) models equipped with the 5.0-liter V-8 or 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6.

The package increases the truck's GVWR to 7,600 pounds for the XL trim and 7,850 pounds for the XLT and Lariat trim models. The package is paired with the Max Trailer Tow Package on the EcoBoost and the Trailer Tow Package on the V-8. The Heavy-Duty Payload Package retails for $1,500.

The package increases payload to 3,300 pounds for the V-8 and 2,900 pounds for the EcoBoost. Without the package, the EcoBoost truck has a maximum payload of 2,230 pounds. Trailering capability for a SuperCab with the EcoBoost would increase to 11,800 pounds from 10,700, said Mike Levine, Ford's truck communications manager.

The upgrade is designed for commercial users in the construction, landscape, and automotive parts industries, Levine said.

The heavy payload package includes five LT245/70R17E BSW A/T tires for the XL; five LT275/65R18C OWL A/T tires for the XLT or Lariat; 17-inch silver steel heavy-duty wheels for the XL; 18-inch silver aluminum heavy-duty wheels for the XLT or Lariat; upgraded springs and auxiliary transmission oil cooler; and a 9.75-inch gear set with 3.73 electronic-locking slip axle.

#6 bagtagley

bagtagley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:30 AM

I'm a car guy that's just recently researched and driven a bunch of trucks. I drove a new F250 and a low mileage 2014 F150 w/ HD payload that I very nearly purchased. Even with the HD package, the F150 had a very comfortable ride. I also drove a new non-HD F150. I can't say I noticed much difference between the '14 and the '16 with no payload package. Maybe with enough time with each, I'd notice some differences, but it wasn't night and day. The differences between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton truck were night and day to me, though. We very quickly decided against a 3/4 ton truck, but came very close to buying a 1/2 ton. 

One thing I'd like to note is that, there were very few HD Payload F150s produced in 2015.  I've seen several listed for sale, but for various reasons, I don't believe they actually have the HD payload package. I don't think it's deliberate, particularly since most dealers don't even know what the HD payload package is. However, if you end up shopping for one of these vehicles, be sure to check the sticker on the door.

#7 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:55 AM

I had a dealer e-mail me build sheets for a 2017 F150 4x4 XLT w/3.5L Ecoboost with the Heavy-Duty Payload and Max tow packages for both the Supercab w/8ft box and a Crew Cab with the 6.5ft box.   GVWR for both configurations is 7,850 lbs.  As has been often discussed on this forum, there is no vehicle that will do everything, always tradeoffs that one has to weigh.  In the end, I may just hang onto what I have, as it's long been paid for.  

Interestingly, my 2010 Grandby Shell had never been off my '99 Superduty SC LB since it was purchased, until last week.  I ran the truck over the ODOT scales with just myself, some misc stuff in the backseat and 2/3 tank of gas and weighed out at 6,550 lbs.  Quite a bit more weight to it than one of these new aluminum body F150's.

#8 Ronski

Ronski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:36 PM

One other thing to note, the 2.7 ecoboost with payload package is still rated a few pounds lower than a 3.5 ecoboost without the package. Buying the payload package in a Ford leads to a lot of restrictions on trim level and cab/bed choice. As noted above, the payload package is rare and may need to be ordered. The payloads listed by Ford on their website is the max for any model, as in lowest trim and no accessories. You can expect most vehicles to end up with a payload several hundred pounds less if you buy anything above an XL or add heavy options like 20" wheels or the moonroof.

Edited by Ronski, 29 September 2016 - 06:42 PM.

#9 NRVhawk

NRVhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:22 PM

...  One thing I'd like to note is that, there were very few HD Payload F150s produced in 2015.  I've seen several listed for sale, but for various reasons, I don't believe they actually have the HD payload package. I don't think it's deliberate, particularly since most dealers don't even know what the HD payload package is. However, if you end up shopping for one of these vehicles, be sure to check the sticker on the door.

That's how I wound up buying my 2015 2.7 EB F150.  I saw it listed on the dealer's website as having the payload package.  When I went to check it out, the sticker didn't mention anything about the payload package. It did say "6500# GVWR Package," which might have been what confused the dealer.  

I did some homework and found out from some F150 forums that people who had ordered 2015 2.7 F150s with the payload package had been waiting many months for delivery - I don't remember finding anyone who had taken delivery of one last year.

I went back and pointed out to the dealer that the truck was advertised incorrectly and eventually negotiated a price that I was happy with.  Overall I'm pleased with the truck and its performance, although sometimes I wish I had the additional 383 lbs in payload.  But I did manage to save a few $$ by buying a truck that had been sitting on the lot for a few months.

Interestingly, the payload on my XL SuperCab (1,727 lbs) is slightly higher than the payload listed by Ford on their website (1,660 lbs).

Rusty

New River Valley, VA

#10 oldebondo

oldebondo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:40 PM

I have a new 2016 F-150 XL Extended Cab with the 2.7L TT, Off Road Pkg, 3.55 rear axle, 36 Gal gas tank and Load range E tires; no add'l payload capacity. On top a new Hawk with a couple hundred pounds of add-ons. I didn't pay much attention to payload because I believe we are well under the max rating and we always strive to travel light. I do have airbags and they work well with only about 35 psi. I am very happy with the setup so far and average about 18 MPG. I am surprised how much reserve power there is available to pass on the highway. I am very pleased with the Hill Descent Control when I tow 3000 lb of firewood down some switchbacks using a no-brakes single axle trailer.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users