• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:40 AM

I have started the camper portion of my WTW vehicle by rebuilding an early 80's Grandby to fit on the back of a stretched Jeep YJ. So that the camper fits within the track width, I will be narrowing the camper by 5 1/2". Also because the original roof was in pretty bad shape, I want to go ahead and replace the roof skin. Before I start the search for options, I thought I would ask for ideas or direct me to other threads discussing this. As always thanks in advance for your help.

#2 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:32 AM

Hey Boonie,

I'm not sure if it's what you're wanting to do, but "The Metal Company" (http://www.themetalcompany.com) in Arvada, Co, can do a two piece wide sheet, with center pressed seam, wide enough for your replacement roof skin. You can also choose whether to have it as a smooth finish, pebble, or cedar, as well as any patterns such as the Mesa, which is equal high and low, pressed into the metal sheeting. Check them out if that sounds like what you're looking for, they can explain what they can do for you. Last I checked, their aluminum sheeting goes for about $2.75/ sq ft.

Poky

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#3 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:57 PM

Poky,

Thanks for The Metal Company contact info. This is certainly one of my options. I purchased the aluminum tube for the shell revisions from Alreco in Henderson, Co. They do not have the textured sheets that The Metal Company has. I priced a plain 4'x10' .025 sheet for the siding at $1.10/ sq ft, but I did not check if they could seam two sheets of .032 for the roof.

I am still thinking that there may be other options available; fiberglass or luan plywood w/rubber similar to fullsize RV's. Anyone have any thoughts on these or others.

Boonie

Edited by Boonie, 09 October 2016 - 07:03 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jeep, Grandby, boondocking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users