78 replies to this topic

#41 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

I'd never heard of the use of cotton plies. I think I see why. In the 1930s rayon replace the cotton in cord belts. In 1943 nylon cord was introduced; steel-cord in 1959 and fiberglass cord in 1963.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#42 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

Well I have learned a lot about tires. Thanks!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#43 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:54 PM

I'd never heard of the use of cotton plies. I think I see why. In the 1930s rayon replace the cotton in cord belts. In 1943 nylon cord was introduced; steel-cord in 1959 and fiberglass cord in 1963.

As a design engineer you learn pretty fast that standards last forever.  I had a long, convoluted story that I told to newby engineers when they would question why we were using an awkward standard about how the diameter of the first stage of a Saturn rocket booster was determined by the width of a 1st century Roman war chariot horses a$$.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#44 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

As a design engineer you learn pretty fast that standards last forever. I had a long, convoluted story that I told to newby engineers when they would question why we were using an awkward standard about how the diameter of the first stage of a Saturn rocket booster was determined by the width of a 1st century Roman war chariot horses a$$.

jim

By golly, I know that one.............................. :)

The Space Shuttle & the Horse's Rear End

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#45 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:04 PM

Fascinating! And a little off topic giving me an excuse to

trainwreck.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#46 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:56 PM

By golly, I know that one.............................. :)

The Space Shuttle & the Horse's Rear End

Interesting.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#47 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

Big O Bigfoot and Cooper Discoverer were both mentioned in the initial post and Bigfoot is reportedly made by Cooper, but which Cooper tire is it? Or is it a one-off uniquely made for private labels? Big O tells me Bigfoot is a much better value and I am just paying more for the Cooper name if I buy the Discoverer, but they will get it for me if I want. I do want the E load rated version. I have the Cooper Discoverer AT3, NOT  light truck or E rated, on the Tacoma now and really like them. they have little tread left and have worn evenly.

#48 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:03 PM

Bigfoot is the house brand, made by Cooper, for Big-O.

But is it identical to one of the Cooper models and if so, which one. Or, is it a unique model manufactured just for Big O?  I guess what I really want to know is if I will get a better tire if it has the Cooper name on it vs the Bigfoot name? I know that some manufacturers of high quality products make an inferior product for private labels by using cheaper materials.

Edited by BillTheHiker, 18 February 2017 - 09:05 PM.

#49 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

Ski3pin, any further comments on the Coopers now that you have a few miles on them?

Thanks,

cwd

Four years ago, with an almost new set of the BFG all Terrains (the subject of this thread critique), we drove an extreme road down into a remote canyon in Nevada. On the steep 4x4 low crawl back up I was at the edge of traction with the BFG's.

A couple of weeks ago we again drove this road with our almost new set of Coopers. The road is now in much worse condition. Driving back out, I was very impressed with the new tires.

This was a good real world comparison of the two tires for us. The BFG's were good. The Coopers are better and I am impressed with their performance.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#50 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:49 PM

Ski, Great to know. Were you aired down? I have the Cooper S/T  Maxx tires now and so for I like them.

cwd

CWDT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users