• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:40 PM

I am at the "gotta get tires" stage. I have had two sets of Cooper AT3 's and like them. I find they do well on snow and rain.

I don't do a lot of mud other than dirt roads where we live and northern gravel roads  Noise ..... the first set (40K) were quiet. Different truck.....This latest set (40 K) developed a scallop on there inside...even though I rotated them and maintained good air pressure.... I think when I added the leaf pack the alignment was not done properly. I have decided to get them again and do another alignment same day! 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#62 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

I ran the KO2s on my 1/2-ton Dodge and found that the MPGs were reduced (not by much) but also the treadlife suffered. Didn’t reach 30k. My Chevy had the Kumhos mentioned in the article when I bought it. The driver's front suffered tread separation pretty quickly. That may have been due to the fact that the truck sat around with a large Lance camper for quite awhile. I ended up going with Toyo AT2s and am happy with them. But yes, a reduction in MPGs. I just don’t know whether the added tall camper shell or the tires or both are responsible for that reduction.

I think you bring up an excellent point. Most any tire, when you reduce tire pressure, will do better offroad. Depending on your travels, will a less aggressive AT suffice? YMMV.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#63 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:59 PM

Talking about reduced mpgs with more aggressive tires, I found this online when I was looking at cooper tires:

http://roadtraveler....d-fuel-economy/

It makes since, the further you get from a continuous smooth circle the more rolling resistance you wind up with.

They did another test comparing two similarly sized tire diameters, but differing widths and I was surprised to see no noticeable difference.  I would have thought width would play a role as well.  Perhaps there sample set just wasn't different enough to matter.

Kevin

#64 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:51 PM

Just an update on some “E” rated KO2’s on a Tacoma access cab 4X4.  I now have 40,000 miles on the set I changed to when I got the camper.  They supposedly had 5,000 miles on them when I bought them.  Maybe 15% of the mileage is off road, 5% in the snow and the rest pavement.  12% of the miles are without the camper.  They have been aired down and up at least 50 times in that mileage, maybe more as I did not track.  They have been as quiet as the stock wranglers that came on the truck, but ride much rougher without the camper.  I got slightly taller than stock to compensate for their added weight and stiffness but can not tell if that made any difference except the speedometer is off by about 3 MPH at 60 MPH.  They measure 1/3 rd worn at this point.  I am happy with the tires.  They are OK in the snow, but not great; although they are snow flake tires and I have never had to chain up going skiing even in heavy snow.  I have been on many roads where the side protection is extremely important and they have faired really well there, no flats at all.  I had a number with my previous tires.  They have had good traction in sandy dirt.  I have not driven in mud much or sand so can not evaluate.  They do not plane, but have lousy traction on wet pavement here in Oregon where it is wet half the year, but honestly I did not get them for their wet pavement ability.  

#65 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:42 PM

Movinon, were your previous tires that punctured the stock Wranglers?

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#66 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:59 PM

Talking about reduced mpgs with more aggressive tires, I found this online when I was looking at cooper tires:
http://roadtraveler....d-fuel-economy/

It makes since, the further you get from a continuous smooth circle the more rolling resistance you wind up with.

They did another test comparing two similarly sized tire diameters, but differing widths and I was surprised to see no noticeable difference.  I would have thought width would play a role as well.  Perhaps there sample set just wasn't different enough to matter.

Kevin

Kevin-
Great article.
Thanks.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#67 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:22 PM

I just replaced the Cooper tires and am preparing my long term review. I wanted to put my initial comments about this tire all in one place.

cwd, same as you 31 x 10.5 x 15.

First impressions - quieter on the road than I remember the BFG's when new. I like the thread design and depth. I have a couple preconceived notions on how I think they will preform. Only time and use will tell.

I really want to resist first impressions. We just spent a load of money after making a decision. It is human nature to convince yourself you made the right choice. :)

That is also why I wanted to hold off on my critique of the BFG's until I had a consistent base of personal experience with the tire. We went through two sets in our adventures with our truck and camper.

A few thousand on them now. We have used them in all conditions - highway, rain, snow, dirt, 4x4 low dirt and rocks, and fairly extensive use on snow, packed snow, and ice (in mountain terrain, of course) and initial reaction is these are very good tires. I am very pleased with them - especially compared to the previous BFG AT - for winter mountain roads. They grip and are very predictable. For winter I rate them up with the best non studded I've used.

My real review will come after this set is worn out.

Four years ago, with an almost new set of the BFG all Terrains (the subject of this thread critique), we drove an extreme road down into a remote canyon in Nevada. On the steep 4x4 low crawl back up I was at the edge of traction with the BFG's.

A couple of weeks ago we again drove this road with our almost new set of Coopers. The road is now in much worse condition. Driving back out, I was very impressed with the new tires.

This was a good real world comparison of the two tires for us. The BFG's were good. The Coopers are better and I am impressed with their performance.

I just did a tire rotation on the truck and noticed I now have 20,000 miles on the Coopers Discoverer ATP that I moved to after the two sets of BFGs.

I have used these tires now in all sorts of conditions and remain pleased and impressed. My overall grade for these are a strong B+ and if the good thread wear continue, I may move it up in the A territory.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#68 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:11 AM

I just ordered 285/75/17E BFG AT/KOs.  I've used Pirelli, Cooper and BFG MT/KM tires on this truck.  I'm excited to have new shoes and am looking forward to the BFG AT.  I was disappointed by the Pirelli, albeit they were street tires.  They spun on pavement way too easy.  The Coopers only lasted for 25k miles before I tossed them for the BFG MT.  The Coopers wore funny, were noisy and had piss-poor traction off road.  The BFG MT/KM tires were really good wearing and had great off road traction.  They weren't as noisy as the Coopers, but noisy enough to be annoising.  The BFG AT/KO will be a nice change.

Edited by Adventurer, 19 February 2020 - 12:42 AM.

#69 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:38 AM

Wow...this topic and thread has legs!  But sounds a lot like an "oil thread"; so many variables and ultimately a matter of subjective opinions, which is normal for tire or product selections.  

What vehicle, what load, what tire pressures, tire sizes, specific speeds on what surfaces, balanced, rotated and alignments, 'noise' meaning what or good traction vs bad traction; just a few of them, plus what is tread depth at which you replace a tire?  I have probably missed more than a few variables that makes an objective tire selection that best fits the needs of a person damn near impossible. 

So we, myself included, make our best guess at which tire is best for our planned use.  Kind of like touting a backcountry ski it always boils down to a personal bias...so yes, I like my Cooper AT3s and Yes I liked my Toyo AT2 and yes, I read a ton of reviews before buying.  Trying to make a truly informed decision seems so elusive; at least to me and of course I could be wrong! B)

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 19 February 2020 - 12:40 AM.

#70 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:41 AM

Absolutely right.  My friends think I change tires like I do shoes, which isn't that far off.  I seldom keep tires for more than 20 - 25k miles and I'm hard to impress.  Vehicle and use have so much to do with it, and then, ultimately, it's still all subjective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users