first aid kits

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 97grandby

97grandby

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:02 PM

Well just got back from a fun weekend of camping in Great Basin National Park, NV.  While we had a blast, my six year old crashed into a wood post on a little kids four wheeler and ended up breaking his leg. He had his helmet on and that saved it from being much much worse.  Normally I make it a point to travel with our Chief Medical Officer (AKA DrJ) but he was home working so we had to do the best we could with what we had on site. What type of first aid kits do you have and where do you store them?  I have mine as close as the rear door as I can and have it all in a 5.11 shoulder bag that I can grab quickly when needed, but found my kit wanting as I was dealing with my sons broken leg.  The hardest part was not having the things to make him a splint or wrap it up, it was knowing if it was broken or just a bad sprain that he should try to walk around on. The knowledge is where I felt the most inadequate. So what first aid/ meds do you keep just in case and where to put them? Any manuals that you find that are a must have? 

"Overkill is under rated" 

my Grandby upgrades--http://www.wanderthe...-to-me-grandby/

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#2 Edgewood

Edgewood

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:20 PM

Take a Wilderness First Aid class or better yet a Wilderness First Responder class.

Nothing feels worse then coming to the aid of an injured person and not having the skills to help.

#3 97grandby

97grandby

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:28 PM

Take a Wilderness First Aid class or better yet a Wilderness First Responder class.

Nothing feels worse then coming to the aid of an injured person and not having the skills to help.

that is a great idea. I haven't had any training since my scouting days.  Any idea where to look for them? 

"Overkill is under rated" 

my Grandby upgrades--http://www.wanderthe...-to-me-grandby/

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:42 PM

Sorry about the broken leg. Here are links to previous topics -

First Aid Kit Advise

First Aid, What to Carry

Wilderness Medicine

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for pulling those old threads up Ski!!  We all all need periodic first aid  reminders because what just happened to 97Granby  could happen to us the next time out ------and we may not have either the gear or knowledge to make the right  difference.  There is allot of good stuff in those old threads and they are well worth the effort to reread 'em and then reevaluate and restock!  Sorry about the leg!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:24 PM

Meds are a difficult subject. The ones I'd like to carry require a prescription and even then its difficult to keep everything up to date. However, while not quite an emergency, an upset stomach or diarrhea can really ruin a trip so I do carry some otc for that kind of thing.  I used to carry air splints until one day I pulled them out and they'd deteriorated. Same thing with the cardboard splints. I think all I have now is a SAM splint. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:31 PM

Sorry to hear about the broken leg on the little guy! We wish him a complete and speedy recovery!

I am haunted by waters

#8 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:03 PM

If you have an REI store nearby, check what training classes that are coming up. They often offer wilderness first aid/medicine classes. You may find a start there. They also carry first aid kits and supplies to put together your own. Local community colleges or Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training could also be a starting point where you can meet First Responders who could provide access to training and sources of supply.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#9 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:15 AM

The American Red Cross still offers 1st aid/cpr classes. A call to your local chapter should get you the schedule. The ambulance service where I used to live also offers 1st aid/cpr/1st responder classes. Ours was associated with the District Hospital. If yours isn't a private service, they may offer the same.

Sorry you and they had to go through the experience.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Edited by LuckyDan, 25 October 2016 - 05:54 AM.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#10 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:36 PM

I carry a soft sided tackle bag from bass pro. loaded with responder gear. I work at a hospital. and volunteer with rescue 3 out in the desert. which is the sole reason I bought a fwc hawk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users