44 replies to this topic

#1 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:54 AM

I'm a Hawk/Tundra lover and we have enjoyed every trip for the last five years.  The rig is amazingly capable and is quite able with 12" of clearance and the power of a V8.  But, it's a tight fit for us and access is taller than we might like.  I've never been satisfied with the interior fit and finish, and knew I needed to build my own or pay big money.  Gas mileage and other factors played into our decision to look for something "ultimate".  We are planning a rig that will carry us through our 60's and 70's and why stop there?

I'm also a lover of the Westfalia concept, having owned two of these well thought out German marvels.

I got 18mpg out of our oil cooled '82 which we took from Utah to British Columbia. 

I've been admiring the Sprinter vans, which have a broad following.  They've been coming to the USA for fifteen years and camper conversions abound.  Like another member here at WTW, I noticed when the 4x4 version became available and started actively looking buy one.  Long story short, here is the new machine.  It's a cargo van, 144 wheelbase with the 3 litre diesel motor and 5 speed auto, with 4x4 hi/low.   I'll be using this rig for my business for the next year while planning and installing some of the components to eventually become a replacement for the Hawk.  Until then, you will see the Hawk/Tundra out wandering 

_DSF5702-L.jpg

DSCF3383-X3.jpg

DSCF3379-L.jpg

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#2 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:41 AM

It looks perfect!

With all that height and no windows to contend with, you will have soooooo much usable space.  I'm sure your build will be amazing.

Are you going to install a 70" flatscreen on that back wall, you have enough room  ;)

Edited by Bill D, 04 November 2016 - 06:43 AM.

#3 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:16 PM

I have been so tempted to go that route mainly because of the internal access to the living space. I wonder though how well it would negotiate some of the tougher areas like Mogi Dugway and White Rim Trail.... Looks to me that there is enough 4WD to get you into some places but maybe not out....

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#4 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:47 PM

Congrats Andy, looks GREAT! Just insulate and start using. Welcome to the club.

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#5 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:59 PM

I'm in the same boat.  Looked at sportswagens, etc. and need/want 4x4.  Sprinter w/ 4x4 came out and my dream rig but can't afford it :-( but can dream and will watch your build with envy!

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:15 PM

Andy, congrats! I look forward to seeing the build!

I am haunted by waters

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:52 PM

This is exciting! We also have been researching and discussing alternate/additional travel platforms. We are so excited to watch yor process and progress with this project. This is exciting!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:06 PM

I have been so tempted to go that route mainly because of the internal access to the living space. I wonder though how well it would negotiate some of the tougher areas like Mogi Dugway and White Rim Trail.... Looks to me that there is enough 4WD to get you into some places but maybe not out....

Lots of Sprinters have run the White Rim.

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#9 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:11 PM

Congratulations!  I too will be watching your progress.  Marc was kind enough to give me a tour of his Sprinter at the Carrizo last spring, very impressive!  No doubt, you will enjoy it.

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#10 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:32 PM

Congrats on getting the Sprinter Andy. I know you have the skills to build a top notch interior so, like the others, I look forward to your build.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users