44 replies to this topic

#21 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:50 PM

I dunno. Might be a bit too luxurious. I'm going to be watching this build impatiently!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#22 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:57 AM

Andy, congrats. We will all be looking forward to your build. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#23 Onefin

Onefin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:14 AM

Stone grey is the best of all sprinter colors.
We sold our stone grey 2014 sprinter with a sportsmobile top this summer.
Our was 2wd, but we 100% require 4wd where we now live.
We also are 300 miles away from closest authorized sprinter service and that wasn't acceptable for our usage of free time.
Issues come up with modern German diesels and I couldn't justify spending multiple days to get them attended to; this wasn't an issue when we were 15 miles away from the sprinter center.
the sprinter-source website is a good resource.

Be careful if you install a CR Lawrence T vent window in your slider door.
This is a known easy break in point on these vans.
People pry open the vent, breaking the internals of the window, pop out the screen and open the lock on the slider door.
Never leave the window open while away from the van on a hike or surf or whatever.

You'll enjoy your sprinter.
They are pretty cool.

#24 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:48 AM

Looking forward to your build. Good friend has one with the 5 cyl diesel.  Damn thing always gets over 20MPG.  If the price was not so high on the base unit. 

#25 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:02 PM

Thanks guys!
Onefin, you make a good point and I just received my CRL T vent windows! If I can use a friend's shop this weekend, I hope to install both side windows, both rear fixed windows and cut in the maxxair vent. It's going to be some serious butchery ; )

I'll take a look at how to secure the sliding door. Maybe I'll just unscrew the lock push pin when we leave the van.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#26 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:47 PM

...................................................... If I can use a friend's shop this weekend, I hope to install both side windows, both rear fixed windows and cut in the maxxair vent. It's going to be some serious butchery ; )

Nothing like digging in and getting committed! :)

Have fun!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#27 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:59 AM

I just LOVE hacking into a brand new van!! It's satisfying to be the one for first blood on a paint job! Have fun! In another post Rivnuts can be a good friend on this type of build I'm green w/envy

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#28 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:16 AM

Nothing like digging in and getting committed! :)

Like a good carpenter, I will measure twice, or thrice, and cut  :o once!

And, I will have one of my guys there to help me out inside a well organized shop.

I'm coming off a hand injury, so I could use the help with managing the heavier work.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#29 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:28 AM

Looking forward to your build. Good friend has one with the 5 cyl diesel.  Damn thing always gets over 20MPG.  If the price was not so high on the base unit. 

Not to get on a soapbox :) , but I will address the issue of the cost of the base unit, which was certainly part of the calculation for us.

When you price the cost of a new 4wd pickup (diesel or high mpg gasser) plus the cost of a FWC/ATC shell, it adds up to the cost of a 4wd Sprinter.  From there each will require a build out to your level of comfort and vehicle capabilities.  I just found the van form factor to have a cleaner exterior package without the necessity to lift the top, and a lower living floor.   Different strokes . . .

Edited by Lighthawk, 16 November 2016 - 05:29 AM.

#30 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:41 PM

Not to get on a soapbox :) , but I will address the issue of the cost of the base unit, which was certainly part of the calculation for us.

When you price the cost of a new 4wd pickup (diesel or high mpg gasser) plus the cost of a FWC/ATC shell, it adds up to the cost of a 4wd Sprinter.  From there each will require a build out to your level of comfort and vehicle capabilities.  I just found the van form factor to have a cleaner exterior package without the necessity to lift the top, and a lower living floor.   Different strokes . . .

Do you foresee this limiting your off-road capability?

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users