56 replies to this topic

#1 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:25 AM

Hi Folks,

I just sold my FWC Ranger and have in mind to order an ATC Panther to replace it.  We had the Ranger for 10 years and loved it, it was just about perfect for us.  With that, I'm pretty sure about how we would like it outfitted and thought I might start this thread to ask questions of those of you that have gone through the ordering process.

I'd like to order before any price increases but really would like to wait to pick it up until late spring when we can make a camping trip out of it.  And there's ski season to consider as well...

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.

1st question:   I'm wondering if my Yeti 45 cooler will fit below the front window on the floor?  It is 25 1/2 inches wide and 15 1/2 inches tall.  And if so is that below the main cabinet overhang? 

Thanks!

Jim

PS:  Boy, we had a blast with that Ranger  :unsure:

20070722021-M.jpg

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:25 AM

Jim, your best bet is to call ATC and talk to Marty or Jeff. It sounds a bit wide unless you have some custom work done with the seats, though it might be short enough to go under the counter, but then you might have to relocate your water tank. Regardless, give them a call, they're great to work with, reasonable, and give you an excellent camper.

ATC will have the answers!

I am haunted by waters

#3 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:27 PM

I'm in the same position as you are. I'm going to sell my 2003 Hawk and order a Panther for my 2014 Tundra. Having lived with and in the Hawk for 8 years I've decided on the following for the Panther:

Side Dinette with back and coat closet ( always thought it would be nicer to sit facing each other)

Forced Air Furnace ( my Hawk doesn't have a furnace)

2 way comp refer

100 Watt Solar ( ATC uses Renogy that I was thinking about installing in my Hawk))

Auxiliary battery system with 2 6volt batteries

Outside Lift Assists

Power roof vent

Additional roof vent over bed

Electric Water Pump

Outside Shower

Jack Brackets Only

Yakima Roof Tracks

Gas can carrier

I might add the slide out bed later. I rather not have it but will see how it works out first. I'm open to ideas or opinions about anything else people have found useful or wish they had in a perfect world!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:42 PM

Ronin, my 2¢ worth... Consider a chest type refrigerator. I suspect Marty and Jeff could build a nice place for it. I'd go bigger on solar, too. We put a 150 watt panel on the Bobcat.

You mentioned an outside shower, are you getting a water heater too?

I am haunted by waters

#5 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:31 PM

Ronin, if the bed slide is standard option, you can't go wrong having it. Just leave the cushions at home. I'm 5'-9" and we sleep North/South. My 2 cents. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#6 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:19 AM

Ronin, my 2¢ worth... Consider a chest type refrigerator. I suspect Marty and Jeff could build a nice place for it. I'd go bigger on solar, too. We put a 150 watt panel on the Bobcat.

You mentioned an outside shower, are you getting a water heater too?

So which chest type refer do you have or recommend and what are the advantages over a built -in refer? The solar part is the biggest question mark for me as I've never had one before. I'll be running interior lights, the fan while cooking, the furnace for short periods at a time, and of course a refer. Speaking to Marty he thinks the 100 watt would be adequate. I could have ATC wire for a 2nd 100 watt panel I could add later - this is a difficult decision because I want the solar in place to start out but won't know how well the panel will keep up with my needs until I actually hit the road. I generally go on 3-4-5 day trips but once a year I'll do an extended 10-14 days. As far as the shower it'll be cold water only - according to Marty ATC can't build a hot water system into the Panther. My wife and I like going to hot springs so the shower is to just get the mud and sand off.

#7 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:32 AM

Ronin, if the bed slide is standard option, you can't go wrong having it. Just leave the cushions at home. I'm 5'-9" and we sleep North/South. My 2 cents. jd

The bed slide can be added later. The only problem I have with the slide is that it will sit right over the cooktop. My Hawk doesn't have the extended bed so I have no choice but to use the slide out which means having to pretty much unmake the bed and rearrange all of the pillows, comforter,etc. A general pain just to get some coffee and breakfast going. So what I think you're doing is using the slide out without any cushions (?) Do you sleep with your head facing the rear door and use pillows on the slide out? or head facing forward and no cushions for your feet. I like the idea of No-So sleeping and just trying to visualize how you're doing it. Thanks!

#8 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:54 AM

When we arrive at camp and get the roof up, I move the cushions up onto bed until we are ready to go to bed. I then pull out the slide and insert the cushions. We have a front dinnette. The sleeping bags stay up top and just hang down while we travel or we fold them up onto the bed when we are sitting at the dinnette. We used to leave the slide out, but harder to push roof up. The stove is at the back passenger side and the sink next to it kinda in the center of the cabinets so the slide is only over the dinnette seating. We sleep with our heads to the front of the camper. My feet hang over a little unless I sleep on my side with legs drawn up. No climbing over each other. Also we have 1/2" marine hyper-vent on the bed overhand which arches up with the 1/2" slide so it is even. The hyper-vent allows air flow under cushions. jd

Edited by longhorn1, 17 November 2016 - 12:56 AM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:12 AM

Ronin,

There are a number of different brands of chest style refrigerators, Truck Fridge, Engel, National Luna, Dometic and others. I believe they typically have a smaller current draw, and don't spill out the cold air when opened. We have an Engel 40 qt that will go into our new Bobcat. It can function as a refrigerator or freezer, and with some creative loading, it can keep things frozen on the bottom, yet fresh towards the top. When we use it on our boat, it is strictly as a freezer. We then transfer food from it into a small cooler to satisfy the daily needs. The Engel has a relatively low current draw, and it typically is not up against an aluminum camper skin that gets hot in the sun.

Another WTW member (jkidd) recently purchased a National Luna that has separate compartments that each can be used as refer or freezer on his boat or in his camper. Expensive, but very functional. Another Member has a Truck Fridge in their Bobcat, and finds it does a good job for them.

With a different camper and a Dometic 80L refrigerator, our batteries (2 12 volt group 24 AGM Exides) were taken quite low after 3 days parked in one spot. We had a 90 watt panel and were in direct Arizona sun. I asked Marty for the larger panel because of going with a single battery. The price difference between a 100 and 150 watt panel is not great, and I don't notice any difficulty raising the top. Marty did put put 40 lb gas struts on the front of our Bobcat. It goes in the air far easier than the roof on our previous camper using 80 lb internal struts.

I guess it's a matter of preference, but I like the option of being able to use our Engel in multiple places. I also believe the chest style freezer/refrigerators are more efficient than front loader types. I am losing some precious floor space , but for me it's worth it.

Regardless of your choice, ATC will build you a top quality camper. I enjoyed working with them.

I am haunted by waters

#10 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:55 AM

Like Steve, I recommend more than 100 watts. I have 260 watts and yet ran the two batteries lower than I like on a trip where it rained or was overcast, day after day. It takes full sun to get the 100 watts and it takes time with good sun to fill your battery.

For a shower, look at the Nemo Helio pressure shower. Even though we have the factory shower with our Hawk, we have been using the Helio as it is more convenient and quicker to set up & use. Heat your water by any method, fill the Helio and shower.
http://www.nemoequip...re Shower (Grey)

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users