52 replies to this topic

#31 kestrel69

kestrel69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPort Townsend WA

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:22 AM

For any kind of whitewater you can't beat the Air Lynx or a SOTAR. 

#32 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:58 PM

I have been researching inflatable kayaks and this thread is very helpful. I would have missed the Sea Eagle linked to in one of the posts. The 12' solo model, 393rl, has a complete package price of $849 and free shipping thru end of this month. I am impressed the entire boat, hull and floor, is drop stitch construction so my guess is it should have decent tracking and speed for an inflatable. Was considering the AdvancedElements but after pay extra for the drop stitch floor price is about the same.

The tough part about choosing is no local dealers that stock any inflatables. Even my local REI store no longer has any type of boats in the store.

Edited by BillTheHiker, 19 May 2018 - 08:00 PM.

#33 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:59 PM

I have one of the aire inflatables, love it for lakes and rivers. Bought a used folbot last year, its great as well, more for ocean and big lakes. Have carried on or the other for a while, great for baja.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#34 wildlife2019

wildlife2019

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationFarmingdale

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:03 AM

looks like they are progressing: 

https://www.orukayak...en-tandem-kayak

I've ordered the bay st

Yes, I like the origami aspect of it. No tandem though

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Citizen of the World

https://nyti.ms/2HghC9D Jan 17, 2019 Vicki Goldberg NYT Art section Ansel Adams

https://www.census.gov/popclock/  "Net gain of one person every 14 seconds"

#35 gregobr

gregobr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:26 PM

I’m a new member to this forum, so a bit late to the original post, but I have an Aquaglide Blackfoot HB 2 person inflatable that I've been very impressed with. It’s light and compact enough to be fairly easy to move around, and has been rugged enough for Class 2 rapids. It has threaded plugs so the scupper holes can be open or closed, and a drop stitch floor for a rigid base. With both me and my wife, there’s not a lot of spare room for gear but it’s perfect for day trips. It cost about $1000 3 years ago.

Greg

#36 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

I bought the AdvancedElements Advanced Frame Sport last summer. I ordered the optional drop stitch floor but they sent the wrong size. I called and they suggested trying it as is and I was impressed with how fast it is on a small lake and also how well it tracked,  I did not request the optional floor. Their support person said the floor would take up more space and might cramp the foot area which is just barely large enough even with bare feet. I used it about 20+ days last, mostly lakes but also some flat water streams with little current. My only complaint is it has a slight list to the left and I have been unable to position the inflatable tube to eliminate that.

#37 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:58 PM

I’m a new member to this forum, so a bit late to the original post, but I have an Aquaglide Blackfoot HB 2 person inflatable that I've been very impressed with. It’s light and compact enough to be fairly easy to move around, and has been rugged enough for Class 2 rapids. It has threaded plugs so the scupper holes can be open or closed, and a drop stitch floor for a rigid base. With both me and my wife, there’s not a lot of spare room for gear but it’s perfect for day trips. It cost about $1000 3 years ago.

Greg

Welcome to the "Cult". You will find friendly/knowledgeable members here.

I have a Advanced Elements Convertible DS and only use it once in a while,but have enjoyed it.

Easier to carry in the Bobcat then the 12' canoe on the top.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#38 Sheryl3

Sheryl3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:49 AM

Is there a place or options to rent for kayaks in an area that you will go ... sorry just noob, I'm not active in outdoors :-)

Edited by Sheryl3, 17 April 2019 - 09:50 AM.

#39 wildlife2019

wildlife2019

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationFarmingdale

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:42 PM

Is there a place or options to rent for kayaks in an area that you will go ... sorry just noob, I'm not active in outdoors :-)

My guess is yes, but (imo) there are a few negatives associated with rentals.  One beng time.  If you are not staying put for any length of time it may very well become inconvenient to rent.

The best positive for rental is likely for someone who has a passing interest at being on the water. 

As for me, I have had several, and I love getting out before all the powered machines set out.  It's a poor person's closest thing to being in outer space.

Citizen of the World

https://nyti.ms/2HghC9D Jan 17, 2019 Vicki Goldberg NYT Art section Ansel Adams

https://www.census.gov/popclock/  "Net gain of one person every 14 seconds"

#40 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:59 AM

It's a poor person's closest thing to being in outer space.

This made me laugh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users