• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:56 PM

We bought a Tributary Strike2 inflatable. It can be used solo or tandem. One of the reasons was wanting a durable boat that weighs under 50# for flying to Alaska and the boat being fairly bulletproof from leaks on longer wilderness trips. Can put a skeg on it for tracking. I am sure that lot's of the boats mentioned will work, just depends on what you are looking for all around. We have a larger welded step for the camper that the boat can be strapped onto whilst traveling.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#42 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:49 PM

Just ordered an Aquaglide Chelan Tandem XL HB from airkayaks.com.  They were a joy to work with and the boat/pump and paddles should be here by the weekend.  Looking forward to taking it along on trips with the camper as well as being able to explore some local waterways.  Might even look at doing a self-contained trip down the San Juan with it in the near future.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#43 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:25 PM

Nice kayak.Similar to my Advanced Design.

They make a nice space saving alternative

to a canoe.

Enjoy.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#44 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:13 PM

First trip with our Advanced Element kayak. We bought the Island Voyage model, it is well made with welded seams, quality boston valves, replaceable air bladders inside fairly heavy canvas/pvc fabric tubes. Takes right at 4 minutes to inflate. The inflation pressure recommended is enough to make the boat very rigid. paddles very wll but doesn't not have the glide distance of a hard kayak when you stop paddling. All in all I'm very pleased with our purchase. Lists for 399. but found it at REI on sale for 20% off. P.S. Not covinced kayak paddles are best, going to try using my canoe paddles next time.

#45 wildlife2019

wildlife2019

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationFarmingdale

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:31 PM

Advanced elements airfusion evo inflatable kayak or a Pakboats kayak

I'm leaning towards the airfusion.  Will decide shortly.

Citizen of the World

https://nyti.ms/2HghC9D Jan 17, 2019 Vicki Goldberg NYT Art section Ansel Adams

https://www.census.gov/popclock/  "Net gain of one person every 14 seconds"

#46 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:35 PM

Got the boat out twice over the weekend.  Saturday with two of us for a flatwater get comfortable session and Sunday we took two of the dogs on some moving water down the Salt River.  Saw a few bands of horses during the float as well.

gallery_5386_1154_1808570.jpg

gallery_5386_1154_1443673.jpg

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#47 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 07:05 PM

ok, I know this is old posts, but I'm looking at a sea eagle 370 an wonder if anyone ON here uses ONE, an give me some imput!! not looking for a "different better unit" just looking for your INPUT! junk or ok.thanks

#48 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 25 June 2021 - 10:48 PM

Just a heads up.... when selecting an inflatable kayak it may make sense to keep in mind the Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) regulations in the various states that you may plan to paddle in. We have Advanced Elements, Advanced Frame models that we bought several years ago that measure 10'-5" long. In both Oregon and Washington, AIS regulations treat watercraft (including inflatable kayaks) over 10 feet long as being subject to meeting the regs. (Somehow the invasive species differentiate between boats that measure 9'-11" and those like ours that are slightly longer  :-)

There are of course fees for getting AIS certified in many states and if your craft has been in any infected waters in the last month you may be required to pay to have your kayak professionally cleaned. The regulations are also constantly being changed. When we went to the Pacific Northwest a few years ago to kayak it was no problem, just a quick inspection on the side of a highway. On our last trip up through Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana last month we just left the kayaks at home rather than deal with the fees, paperwork and inspections that vary from state to state.

It's a shame that the states can't get on the same page on this but I guess that would keep some bureaucrats from milking this situation. IMHO, the AIS will get everywhere eventually, much like Covid.

IOW, when shopping, I would now be looking at kayaks shorter than 10 feet even though some states exclude kayaks completely.

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#49 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 25 June 2021 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for that info Dave. That is exactly why I sold my canoe.

It became a pain to just drive down the road with it on top of the camper.

I also have a Advanced Elements duel kayak "frame" model

but mine is 15' long. Don't get a chance to use it much.In fact haven't in

several years.

I am all for the halting of invasive critters BUT. It would be nice for all states to

be on the same page.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#50 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 June 2021 - 12:59 AM

Here is a link to the Aquatic Invasive Species network: https://www.westernais.org/regional

The reasons for different approaches in different jurisdictions has as much to do with geography and hydrology as it does with procedures to inspect boats. Usually each state legislature mandates the state agencies cooperate with but not cede jurisdiction to another entity (Tribal, State or Federal).

Consider the standards for Washington state differ from say Idaho for many reasons, not the least of which Washington has a ocean coast to consider and the Columbia River in Oregon and Washington has low potential for a start (but not transmission) of infection from invasive mussels due to the wrong water chemistry. 

I could go on, but the website above will flood you with information that is more credible than my memory.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 26 June 2021 - 12:59 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users