Photo

Another "looking for a used pop up" thread, 6.5' bed.

Four Wheel Camper FWC All Terrain Camper ATC 2002 Tundra Aluminum Frame shell

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:52 AM

Way to go!

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#12 SLCAlex

SLCAlex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:43 AM

Just posted my Hawk for sale here http://www.wanderthe...-to-good-shape/

#13 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

And we are DONE!

We found a aluminum framed Phoenix! As soon as I can figure out how to post photos. Ill do it!

trout

Congrats!  I also recently picked up a Phoenix, but in a little rough shape.  Maybe we can share some notes!

#14 2trout

2trout

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGlenwood Springs

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:28 PM

Michgoblue,

What year is your Phoenix?

#15 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

2008. Picked it up last week from the ad here and just sold my 30 year old Four Seasons Magnum for the same amount. In the process of redoing the electrical and adding solar plus a Wave 3.

Edited by michgoblue, 24 April 2017 - 05:46 PM.

#16 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

net zero cost? good stuff! have fun with the renovations

#17 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

net zero cost? good stuff! have fun with the renovations

Thanks!  Trying to get things together for when my daughter gets home from Calgary next week - I know she is going to want to test it out!

#18 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:27 AM

that's quick.  take the time to document what you change!

#19 2trout

2trout

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGlenwood Springs

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:03 PM

Mine is a 2004 Phoenix "Brave", very usable with no repairs/fix ups needed to use, but lots of changes in mind! (I think I like to make work for myself?)

Busy spring though...Im off to start up swamp coolers/sprinkler systems for the season, and review an elevated deck for a rebuild. So next weekend is shot.

trout

Edited by 2trout, 24 April 2017 - 03:04 PM.

#20 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

Well the big issue for mine was that it had some leakage in the past, which left some residual staining and warping, and also resulted in the removal of the underbed storage it seems.  It also had a bent lifting bar, and a pretty weird electrical set up.

I have had it for a couple weeks and done the following:

1. Cleaned and treated the canvas with 303 (two coats). I don't think it had been treated before/in a long time and this may be one of the major reasons for past leaking.

2. Recovered the side bench and added a Lagun table.  Delivery from the UK was really quick and I am very impressed with the quality.

3. Installed two 120 watt flexible solar panels mounted on aluminum angle and then bolted to the Yakima tracks on the roof.  Went with the flexible panels as they are lighter and I don't have a good way to install exterior lifting struts due to the front valence of the camper. Have it configured so that I can very easily add a 3rd panel if needed.

4. Sealed the roof rack screws with spray on rubber flex-seal. The roof screws appeared to a possible source for roof leaks given how poorly sealed they were.

5. Replaced the original converter with a WFCO 8735 three stage converter/charger.  Went with the WFCO as it was supposed to be a drop in replacement, but ended up having to modify both the cabinet and the facing of the converter.

6. Rebuilt the under bed storage, with lifting struts, along with rebuilding the slide-out for the bed.  It is a small E-W Queen when closed and an oversized N-S Queen when open (my preference).

7. Replaced the bent lifting bar with conduit.  Also treated the lifting tracks with silicone and teflon spray as suggested by Cari at Phoenix campers when I asked about doing the repair of the lifting bar.  This helps make it really easy to open and close.  I think the bar got damaged due to drag in the tracks.

8. Adding VMAX XTRM 155ah battery (arrives via UPS today).  This is the largest size battery that will fit in the space under the fridge.  Previous owner used a Group 24 unsealed battery and put it in the truck bed.  But since I have a midsize instead of full size, I can't fit it in the wheel well so went with an AGM that will go inside. Will see how things go to determine if I need more solar or an additional battery.  With a 3 way fridge and adding a catalytic heater there is not much power draw.

9. Adding 30A Mppt controller with remote head (will mount this after I get the battery in place)

10. Adding DC volt indicator, dual USB ports, and car charging ports.

11. Adding Wave 3 catalytic heater (purchased here last week).  Will either run a second line from the the propane tank or use the propane from the 3 Way fridge if I replace it.  Going to test out the 3 way first to see how I like it. I had a 65L Truckfridge  2 way in my older camper that I really liked a lot, but want to see of the 3 way works before I drop the cash on a  new Truckfridge.  Thinking the 2 way will be better for ferry rides, though none are super long here.

I should have all the electrical work done by Tuesday, so will just be waiting to decide how to connect the Wave 3.  Then I need to order some new bench cushions and maybe build a forward bench for storage.

I spent the Winter working on my old camper in the garage so I really had a good idea what I liked and didn't like in a new one. When the new one came along it was really easy to see what I wanted to change and having had practice doing the updating it has been going pretty quickly - and I am doing a neater job while I do it.

Edited by michgoblue, 24 April 2017 - 05:44 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Four Wheel Camper, FWC, All Terrain Camper, ATC, 2002 Tundra, Aluminum Frame, shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users