66 replies to this topic

#21 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:44 PM

As I review the posts on WTW, I am struck with the question:

If you had $100,000 would you spend $80,000 on a camper and $20,000 on travel, or $20,000 on a camper and $80,000 on travel?

#22 mitch h

mitch h

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Locationbrazil,in.

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:55 AM

I really enjoy traveling

#23 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:51 PM

gallery_6696_1091_105086.jpgToday I built the temporary "collar" which connects the camper to the Jeep which when installed allowed me to safely move the camper side to side. This "collar" will eventually be replaced with a 1" aluminum tubing extension of the campers aluminum frame. The intent was to have the camper fit inside the track of the rear wheels. Or in other words, if the wheels could squeeze through the camper would too. The result was a 4 3/4" overlap on each side, 9 1/2" wider than the Jeep body of 59 1/2" or total camper width of 69". This just happens to be the width of the discontinued FWC Eagle model. As mentioned earlier my floor length is 78 1/2 compared to the Eagle of 78". So I now have gone from a Grandby to an Eagle.gallery_6696_1091_57356.jpg

Edited by Boonie, 09 December 2016 - 12:10 AM.

#24 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:30 AM

From here I will be fitting a mock up of the dinette, counters  and cabinets to fit on either side of the camper. Remember that this camper will be designed for two people and not a family of four, so there will not be a fold out sofa. That will be replaced with storage cabinets.gallery_6696_1091_70066.jpg

You can also see how the P-P fits into the overhang

gallery_6696_1091_76280.jpg

gallery_6696_1091_47333.jpg

You can also see that the back of the camper will be slanted from the end of the P-P slot to the "collar" thus keeping the departure at about 45*.

#25 mitch h

mitch h

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Locationbrazil,in.

Posted 09 December 2016 - 03:26 AM

Nice start. You were talking about the pass through, maybe something like the articpack material and put snaps on the rollbar. Off when driving, on at night if its cold. Just a thought.

#26 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 09 December 2016 - 03:40 AM

Boonie,

This going to be way cool! Glad to see you start your thread, and I'm really looking forward to watching it progress. Great start, and excellent progression on the photos. Wishing you the best luck as you march forward!

Poky

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#27 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:33 AM

Mitch, a great idea that makes perfect sense when making the "Artic Pack" to make the removable divider out of the same material.

Hey, Poky!

You have been quiet on your thread, so I am glad you found me. So everyone will know, it was through PokyBro's build that I discovered the aluminum frame of the Four Wheel Campers and through him I was sent down the path of developing my insane build to put a camper on a Jeep. His thread is a guide book on rebuilding a FWC camper. Thanks Poky!  As you can see I have decided to build much of my camper in mock up before I go to the welder. Sort of a take off on the "measure twice, cut once". I will be watching how you proceed with your interior finish as I go forward. As dissimilar as our campers may end up they still have so much in common.

Stay in touch,

Boonie

Edited by Boonie, 09 December 2016 - 04:57 AM.

#28 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:57 AM

Hey Boonie, just chiming in too to say this looks rad!  Thanks for the PM the other day.  We should have a meet up sometime to see the progress!  Keep on keeping on.  - Tim

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#29 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:42 PM

Hey back at ya Dreamer,

Another Colorado inspiration whose thread I have been following.

I forgot to mention in the last post because I think most people realize that my original Grandby is 80" wide, so to get it to 69", I had to narrow it by 11". This was done by cutting 11" out of the rear doorway and 11" at the front overhang. You may notice I removed the left member of the original doorway and will reposition it to create a new 24" doorway.

Since the space behind the fold down couch is really wasted, by eliminating it and replacing it with storage cabinets/bin shelves, I do not lose any floor area. With cabinets on the passenger side, I have also eliminated the large window and will replace it with a smaller window placed higher and to the rear above the dinette seats in the rear overhang area similar to the ActionCamper. (P-P under the dinette seat.) The driver side will have a matching window.

gallery_6696_1091_92488.jpg

Edited by Boonie, 10 December 2016 - 01:33 AM.

#30 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:32 PM

So the mock up begins.

With the old Grandby, all the appliances and tanks were located on the left side behind the axle. In a 4WD situation the weight should be balanced left to right and on top or ahead of the axles. As you have seen I have reversed the dinette from the front to the rear so that only the weight of the P-P and the cushions extend behind the axle primarily in the overhang.

I will be keeping the refrigerator and the propane tank on the left side,

gallery_6696_1091_28352.jpg

but moving the water tank, sink, and stove to the right side. 

gallery_6696_1091_40110.jpg

I will be adding the convenience of a water pump and invertor located on the right. Also on the right side I will have an exterior accessible storage compartment for a Weber gas grill. The weights so far are heavier on the right (with water tank full) which will help counterbalance my weight on the left compared to my wife on the right.

I could go into more detail and explanation, but I wanted to avoid the "Blah-Blah-Blah", so if you are curious about what in the hell I was or am thinking: ASK.

Edited by Boonie, 13 December 2016 - 07:42 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, Grandby, Jeep, Project, New build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users