Photo
- - - - -

Suggestions? Idaho to Death Valley to Baja (San Felipe, Gonzaga, Cocos, Guerrero Negro), etc.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:56 PM

Ok, our trip planning is underway.  We could use some suggestions for places to camp or stay along the way.

We'll head south late Jan.  Stopping at DV then heading down towards Gonzaga then over to Guerrero Negro to see the whales). 

We'll then head north; hit the wine region and eventually hit San Diego (my hometown) then North up CA.

I haven't been down to Baja in years so looking for things "not to miss" along the way.

We're thinking we may try to get to the racetrack in DV and ??? We don't want to get to far on the West side as we were there 2 years ago.

We'll probably stop 1/2 way down from DV towards the US/Mex border and looking for ideas.  We looked at Borrego and that area to spend a night or 2.  Pumpkin patch?????

Then hit San Felipe (any suggestions on better camping on the gulf????).  I was last there 25-30 years ago. 

Then Gonzaga.  Suggestions?????

Over to Coco's and GN.  Best camp spots on the Pacific?????

Then up to TJ; same ?????'s.

Lot's of ?????  We don't have to be back at any particular time.

Thanks.

Kevin

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#2 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:21 AM

Hi Kevin

My favorite area of Baja starts just where you intend to turn north.

You will have entered Baja Sur state just as you approach Guerra Negro and from there southward are some pretty neat areas.....not sure of your interests but have you considered : 

-The San  Francisco Mtns.   a short hop off Hwy 1 and a world away from what most of us encounter at home....... 

-San Igacio....a historic oasis town with a lovely misson.

-Santa Rosalia....remarkable French heritage mining town.....lots of history.

-Muelge.....gateway to...see below

-The Bay of Concepcion......so beautiful it hurts your eyes.....many small beach areas to camp....warm water to splash or float or swim or boat...

Pardon me if you have already considered these areas but they are fairly close to where you are going to be anyway and they are all very close to the highway.

Just my thoughts

David Graves 

#3 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:02 AM

Hi Kevin

You will have entered Baja Sur state just as you approach Guerra Negro and from there southward are some pretty neat areas.....not sure of your interests but have you considered : 

-The San  Francisco Mtns.   a short hop off Hwy 1 and a world away from what most of us encounter at home....... 

-The Bay of Concepcion......so beautiful it hurts your eyes.....many small beach areas to camp....warm water to splash or float or swim or boat...

Pardon me if you have already considered these areas but they are fairly close to where you are going to be anyway and they are all very close to the highway.

Just my thoughts

David Graves 

David,

Thanks for the suggestions.  We didn't plan on going down further but certainly could if I can find ULSD (ultra low Sulphur diesel) although we can carry extra and if we could top off in GN, we'd be pretty set for a while. 

I'll have to check those out a bit more.  I've been down further but that was so long ago and we were in search of surf back then.  I can't drag my surfboard all that way from Idaho this time.

Kevin

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#4 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:18 AM

Hi Kevin

Just my thoughts

David Graves 

X 2!

Santa Rosalia for Great Taco's and Ceviche.

We stayed at Pete's Camp in San Felipe last year with success for 15 a night.

Conception Bay was gorgeous but VERY busy so be prepared for neighbours.

We stayed at Gonzaga bay at a popular camp ground recommended to us by people in San Felipe which was nice and we had it all to our selves. I cannot remember the name but it was recommended by everybody - just ask a gringo in San Felipe - its that popular. I remember it being just past the Alphonsina sign (nice place for lunch but pricey) Blue sign and rocks lined the trail from the main road. The attendant and his 2 dogs were nice.

Guerra Negro Whale Watching past the salt flats (about 45 mins south of town) has a nice camp ground for 5 dollars a night.

Juncalito Beach was our favourite just south of Loreto

Not sure if you are going as far south as La Paz - Tecolote Beach was stunning with green water and great sand but very windy.

​Have not been but LA Bay is supposed to be a good spot which we will visit in Jan 2017.

Check out Song of the Road they do a great job listing camp sites http://songoftheroad...camp-site-list/

**** Shuffle your feet when you are in the water - Trust me on this *******

Edited by Ramblinman, 05 December 2016 - 03:37 AM.

#5 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:32 AM

X2 on Bajia Concepcion.  You should be able to make it there and back from Guerro Negro on a tank of Diesel.  Lots of warmer beach camping, although probably crowded.  We have camped at Santaspac, out the road on the north end.  Lately we camp at Playa Coyote.  

You don't need to go any farther south--stay there for a while and enjoy!  I think you will find northern Baja to be cool at that time of the year, especially on the Pacific.  

#6 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:10 PM

Camp just south of Posada Concepcion (~25km south of Mulege).

David is spot on, the scenery is so breath-taking it hurts your eyes.  Hurts the soul to leave.

I've got a ton of notes in my Field Notes journals from recent trips the past few years.  I'll dig them out and see if I have any thing regarding your questions.

Baja Almanac has been out of print for several years.  I picked one up from this EBay seller two years ago for $75!  Scary to see what he gets now.  But, the Almanac is priceless IMO.   Mine is now full of notes and comments.  I wouldn't sell mine for $500.

Edited by Advmoto18, 07 December 2016 - 10:10 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#7 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:18 AM

LA Bay is very nice.  Kind of a sleeper town since it is ~20 minutes off and east of MEX 1.

2016_05_06_05_45_43.jpg

LA Bay this past May.  Had the place to ourselves.

Edited by Advmoto18, 08 December 2016 - 01:18 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#8 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

Camp just south of Posada Concepcion (~25km south of Mulege).

David is spot on, the scenery is so breath-taking it hurts your eyes.  Hurts the soul to leave.

I've got a ton of notes in my Field Notes journals from recent trips the past few years.  I'll dig them out and see if I have any thing regarding your questions.

Baja Almanac has been out of print for several years.  I picked one up from this EBay seller two years ago for $75!  Scary to see what he gets now.  But, the Almanac is priceless IMO.   Mine is now full of notes and comments.  I wouldn't sell mine for $500.

I wonder if this is the same thing?  https://www.bajaboun...bajaalmanac.php

It's $40 plus shipping? 

Kevin

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#9 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:15 AM

That's the one - pretty sure that's where I got mine.

#10 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:58 PM

That's the one - pretty sure that's where I got mine.

Got one!  Thanks.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users