• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:07 PM

Trying the maple nut and it is damn good. I'll go get a box of just this flava! I now have enough oatmeal to last a lifetime.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#22 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:17 PM

I'm pretty partial to McCann's instant Irish Oatmeal, either plain or maple nut.  Used to be easy to find in supermarkets but now the only place I see it in Sacramento is Corti Bros.  And sometimes Grocery Outlet.  I just googled and note it's available through Amazon, too.

#23 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:08 PM

For those on a budget or who don't want all the SUGAR and SALT and PRESERVATIVES in pre-packaged food, you can just buy some Quaker's One Minute oatmeal and some dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples) and put a daily amount you want for one or two persons and the particular fruit of the day in a baggie at home and then use a Tupperware carrier. Toss it all into a measured amount of boiling water and in a minute or so....voila! Breakfast!

I usually take a banana or two at the start of a trip for the first mornings' oatmeal and maybe at lunch, but after that they ripen too fast. I don't like the dried banana chips myself. You can add a dash of cinnamon to the mix if you want when you bag 'em up.

Any of the other brands of instant oatmeal that do not have all those additives are probably as good or better but it is the fruit you add that gives it a boost.

We always boiled water for the oatmeal then for general cleanup (KP duty) afterwards, but the first thing in the morning was to fire up the drip coffee maker and let the heat from that warm up my old Alaskan.

We found you could FREEZE the fruit also if you wanted to go that route and even use it for pancakes.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#24 Trout1 Project

Trout1 Project

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:51 AM

1 pack instant oatmeal mixed with 1 pack instant cream o wheat and stir in some craisins.. Perfect early rise breakfast to get out the door and to the river.
2007 Nissan Titan
2017 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

#25 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:10 PM

I was wondering when someone was gonna mention craisins. I love those things. Good in oatmeal and I make chicken salad with craisins and pecans and celery if I have it.

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#26 Bigfoot Dave

Bigfoot Dave

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:16 PM

Craisins are pretty good in omelets too! Have a great weekend, Bigfoot Dave

#27 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:02 AM

I simmer craisins with raspberry jam as a cranberry sauce when I cook turkey.  It's pretty tasty.

#28 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:12 AM

Bob's Red Mill Scottish Oatmeal. Add turbinado sugar, spice blend, dates, nuts, and any other suitable edible. It is not "instant" but is finely ground and pre cooked so is ready in a matter of minutes. Bagpipes not included. 

#29 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:44 AM

Bob's Red Mill Scottish Oatmeal. Add turbinado sugar, spice blend, dates, nuts, and any other suitable edible. It is not "instant" but is finely ground and pre cooked so is ready in a matter of minutes. Bagpipes not included.

I'll second this Oatmeal. Cut up a peach (or use the small individual pack's) crasins some pecans. Makes a hearty meal. For those with a sweet tooth add some honey.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#30 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

We have gone to a Bob's organic steel cut that cooks in about 10 minutes. Agave syrup (low glycemic index) as a sweetner. A few raisins as well.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users