New Grandby Today 12/8/16

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:39 AM

Picked up our new FWC Grandby today at Equipt Expeditions in Salt Lake City.  It was nice to see how much room it has compared to their Hawk display model.  It is a front dinette and has a self contained shower and cassette toilet, Isotherm 130 compressor fridge, king size bed, 160 watt Zamp solar panel, water heater, and they installed the two 6 volt Lifeline golf cart batteries I purchased.  It also has the Batwing Awning and camper jacks.  

It is installed on my '08 Dodge 2500 extended cab shortbed with the tailgate down.  The truck has Timbren suspension inhancement both front and rear and new Pro Comp shocks.  It dropped 1-1/2" in the rear when the camper was lowered onto it.  I did not have my Warn winch on the front to help level it, but it will be there for our trips.  

I haven't had a lot of time in it yet, but I did notice it has a BlueSeas voltage separator under the dinette seat.  FWC also added the wooden pads to the bars on the roof so that we can use our On Stage speaker stand to lift the roof when I have my kayak up there.  

On the way home I stopped and had the propane tanks purged and filled.  

Our first trip will be a run over to Denver to pick up our new Ruger Offroad Trailer that I will need to carry my inflatable boat and motor to Baja in January.  

This is my second FWC, the first being a 1998 Ranger II Shell that I bought new and just sold after 15 trips to Baja.  At 70 years old I hope I get another15 trips out of this one.  

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:51 AM

Congratulations on the new Grandby!!

I am haunted by waters

#3 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:30 PM

Congrats and best wishes on future expeditions. :)

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:23 PM

Congrats! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 ACEBLACKDOG

ACEBLACKDOG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSOUTH LAKE TAHOE

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:00 PM

SWEET !!!

#6 dscobell

dscobell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:14 AM

Congratulations. Our Grandby is set up nearly identical to yours. We are scheduled to receive it on Feb 1st. Would love to see some pictures of the camper on your shortbed 2500.

camper: 2016 Grandby

truck: 2017 Ford F350 CCLB gasser

Callsign: KM6GWU

#7 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:08 AM

Enjoy your new camper, wish you many happy nights under the stars.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#8 Canyon

Canyon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:15 AM

Oh best wishes!!! :)

#9 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:57 AM

Spent time today trying to figure things out, like how the cassette toilet works and how the charge controller works.  I found a place to store the On Stage Speaker Stand jack (I mounted the brackets just under the passenger side dinette seat cushion).  I need to find some sort of riser to use with the speaker stand to make it lift the top in the rear of the camper.  It is about 7" short.  

We also decided our Cat Litter Box needs to go under the table.  I was happy to find there are 8 of the little nuts that slide in the Yakima Tracks already in there.  That means that I will have extras when I mount my extra solar panels on my Ruger Trailer where I will have two extra batteries running my ARB fridge as a deep freezer.  

I received a new Nato Style gas can to go in the Adventure Trailer can holder I'm going to mount on the back, and I pulled out the two propane cylinders to see how to drill through to mount some 1" aluminum U channel underneath the step to help support the gas can holder.  

I had the thing plugged into my garage half a day before I found all the circuit breakers were shut off so the IOTA wasn't charging the battery at all.   Luckily, there was enough solar on the 160 watt panel to keep my batteries up, although I really wasn't running anything but the LED lights.  I finally found out I needed to push a button on the water level panel to display the battery charge, and all four LEDs lit up.  

We're not going to put water in the systems until we head south in January due to the freezing weather up here. 

I did replace the #10 AWG wire that connects my two 6 Volt batteries in series with a #4 AWG wire.  I also looked at the #10 AWG wire running from my starting battery to the truck bed.  It looks rather pathetic next to the #8 AWG wire that is right next to it and runs to the other side of the truck bed (for my old shell model).  I will get around to using that #8 wire.  

Anyway, I've got a lot to learn, there's a lot more to it than my old shell.  

#10 Pax2525

Pax2525

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:05 AM

and no pics!!!!

Congrats on the new camper!

F150 & FWC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users