Photo

What does a minimalist need an RV battery for?

battery

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:33 PM

I ordered an FWC Fleet shell and the only options are the Fantastic fan, gas struts and battery system with wiring plus separator plus a battery box. I am rather a minimalist and cannot think what I would use the battery for so am thinking of cancelling that option. I have done month long car/tent camping trips and never really needed a battery. I usually hit a town at least weekly and hang out at a coffee shop where I can charge my cell phone and tablet PC, if needed.

A 12 volt fan on hot or muggy days might be a nice supplement to the ceiling fan, but think I  can live without it. What else might a minimalist need the battery for? BTW, I got the camper mainly to have a place to cook and eat during bug season,  for use in nasty weather, and for spring XC skiing.

Bill

#2 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:46 PM

We are pretty much minimalist too with a shell camper. Same motivations as you. Many people, us included have been seduced by the ease of having a 12 volt fridge rather than needing ice and it's inconveniences. That is the main use of our battery which is recharged by the truck while driving. We use the lights at night and charge our electronics with it also. This summer I added a solar panel to recharge a second battery that is used primarily for my CPAP machine and other electrical needs while boondocked and not driving. I also like having the ability to self-jumpstart the truck if needed for some reason. The batteries are pretty low maintenance and worth the expense in my opinion. Good for resale value too, I imagine.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#3 B-Rad

B-Rad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:55 PM

I to was seduced into the 12 volt freezer fridge, the gwife and I love it no regrets, we found a used unit on craigs list. We ended up adding a portable solar set up, we can park in the shade and still use the sun. I would say keep the battery system .

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:58 PM

Battery can be used for a number of things although they are quite heavy.  I wouldn't use it for a refrigerator though as it'll drain it quite quickly. 

Uses primarily for these items although their draw is really small.  Some of these were mentioned by others

a) lights

B) propane, smoke detector

c) charging items although we normally charge them while driving

d) fans (that's probably the most critical); cooling and furnace (you don't have a furnace though)

e) backup starting

You could always add a battery and isolator later too... might be cheaper too.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:10 PM

e) backup starting

This one alone is worth it to me.  I've never had to use it in this fashion yet, but everyday I get piece of mind knowing I have a second battery.

What about light?  As much as I love flashlights, I certainly like having LED lighting in the camper.

#6 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:12 PM

I too have a shell model and the battery is very useful for me.  ARB fridge, LED lighting, fantastic vent fan, charging of phone. And with a 150 watt solar panel the fridge never has a chance to deplete my battery. The solar keeps the camper battery and the truck battery fully charged. Camper battery is also set up so as to be able to start the truck if needed.  Ron

#7 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:20 PM

An aspect of cooking inside the camper is the need for ventilation.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#8 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:23 PM

My first 4WC was fairly minimalist, and I used a second under-hood battery as the power source.  I once camped happliy for several days when I discovered the Optima I used for power, was dead.  Flashlights/lanterns.  Didn't use the fan.  Had a 3 way fridge which didn't work well anyway.  Hand pump faucet. I had a Zodi external shower setup with it's own power source.  That was before all the electronics we seem to need, like tablets/laptops/cell phones/digital cameras etc.

Had it been winter time or rainy weather then it might not have work so well, with no fan to reduce inside moisture and no furnace.

I currently think that it's better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it.  Try to think 5-10 years into the future, your needs and wants will probably change, and there's also the re-sale potential (or lack thereof) of the camper to consider, perhaps.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#9 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:30 PM

I ordered an FWC Fleet shell and the only options are the Fantastic fan...

What did you plan to use to power the Fantastic Fan, if not a battery in your camper?  Or were you going to cancel the Fantastic Fan if you cancel the camper battery?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#10 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:52 PM

Thanks all. Good thoughts. I will keep the battery.

I am curious to find out in the shell model how much wiring is included with the Fantastic fan and LED house lights and to where they are led.

Another issue is if I should replace the isolator which I read in another thread the stock one from FWC does not charge the house battery if it is really low.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users