34 replies to this topic

#1 Longbeard87

Longbeard87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:54 PM

I have a fleet on order.... any recommendations for adding bikes to the mix?  We do alot of riding.  I was wondering if they would fit inside in the aisle if I take off the front wheels?  We also have a hitch rack but it doesn't swivel out of the way so that could be a pain putting it on and off.  We did order the yakima tracks, just not wild about having them up top....... I would probably drive under some low hanging limb....

Just wondering what others do / recommend.  Thanks

#2 WestCoast

WestCoast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:03 PM

Mtn or road?

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#3 Longbeard87

Longbeard87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:23 PM

All of the above.... we have both and also tandems but I know the tandem would have to go up on the roof, unless I pull both wheels.

Just wife and I.

Open to any recommendations.  Thanks

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:40 PM

We just use our normal bike rack on the back (attaches to our step).  We put flags on it, etc.  Never had an issue but they do stick out a bit.  Never used the 4 bike rack though (2 road, 2 mtn) as that'd be sticking out a looooong way.  We use the rack that goes over the front wheel so we don't have to take wheels off, etc.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 WestCoast

WestCoast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:43 PM

https://www.northsho...oto 4bike18.htm

This is what I use for 4 DH bikes. Best MTB rack there is.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:41 AM

I saw one popup that had an old Yakima tandem rack mounted almost vertically on back wall. As I recall, the rack was the style that had a saddle for the stoker's bottom bracket, with a T bolt that clamped over the chain stays to hold the BB in the saddle. You would need to know where the camper frames are, and if the were strong enough to handle the weight and forces of the tandem.

Which bike do you have?

I am haunted by waters

#7 Longbeard87

Longbeard87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:21 AM

The tandems are a Santana Arriva and a Salsa Powderkeg.  Sounds like I have a couple options.  I was just curious if I could squeeze two single bikes inside and not have to worry about a hitch rack.  I have a thule but it will require being unhitched/removed to get in and out of the camper.  Not a huge deal but an inconvenience. 

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:55 AM

We have a Keith Lippy Ecstasy that Keith built for us in the '80s. He was a jeweler turned frame builder that did really nice work. He's teaching school these days.

I am haunted by waters

#9 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:24 AM

We installed a hitch on the front of the truck, that's where our Yakima two bike rack goes. Have traveled all over the USA and Canada with no problems at all. Had the rack on the back, but just to much work getting in and out of the Hawk. Nothing easy about removing two bikes and a 50 lb bike rack.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#10 Longbeard87

Longbeard87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:56 PM

Wandering Sagebrush.... nice, I have seen some of his work.  Great stuff.  Do you get it out much?  We rode down part of the east coast last summer, Maine to CT.  Amazing trip along the coast.  It was our first time seeing the New England states.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users