34 replies to this topic

#11 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:08 AM

Not much anymore. Since we moved to the PDX area, we became Leary of the traffic. Prior to moving to this area, we usually got between 3-4000 miles a year.

I am haunted by waters

#12 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:43 AM

I would suggest trying your existing hitch rack first.  We use the one we had before getting the camper.  There is enough room to squeeze in and out of the camper with the bikes loaded.  Typically my GF does the squeezing and has absolutely no issue.

I'm not sure what kind of rack you have, but mine attaches to a standard ball hitch, meaning if I wanted the give the door a few more inches to open I could get a longer hitch that it is attached to.

#13 Longbeard87

Longbeard87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:07 PM

Great.  I have a thule now, they rest on the wheels, not a frame attachment.  I am thinking I might be able to get them inside as well but maybe that is a dream.....

3-4K miles......fantastic!

#14 OpenSpace

OpenSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationColorado Plateau

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:48 AM

Second WestCoast on this:

https://www.northsho...oto 4bike18.htm

We're serious riders. Wife used to race. We travel to ride. Had a NS rack about 4 years. Best I've used by far.

www.wildlandtrekking.com

#15 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:19 PM

We use a standard hitch rack mounted to our RakAttach.com swing out. We can carry a cargo rack for extra storage when not taking bikes.

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

Second WestCoast on this:

https://www.northsho...oto 4bike18.htm
We're serious riders. Wife used to race. We travel to ride. Had a NS rack about 4 years. Best I've used by far.

Have you ever had problems with the grease being blown out of the headsets with the NS? It looks like they are positioned just about the right height for that. I have one bike with a roller bearing headset that i have to wrap the head tube to keep it from getting blown out.

I am haunted by waters

#17 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:18 PM

This option doesn't work for most but I carry a folding mountain bike in the extended-cab area of my truck.  I posted some photos in June 2015.

I also have an older pair of Dahon folders (Boardwalk models). The two Dahons or the larger Montague fit under the bed in our campervan. I take the Dahons when my wife goes along, and the Montague when solo.

I know this folding-bike option isn't helpful to the original poster but thought it might be food for thought for future readers of the thread looking for ideas.

On the upside, the bike is out of the weather and dust but the downsides are:

(1) I leave the mountain bike in the Hawk all the time and its exposed to fairly high temperatures when the truck is parked in the sun in hot weather.

(2) It takes a few minutes to unpack and set up the bike, then repack it for departure from our campsite. Its less convenient than just taking the bike off a rack and jumping on for a run to the iron ranger or something quick.

As to the store-in-the aisle idea in post 1, I know that wouldn't work for me.  I move daily and don't ride the bike often so would quickly regret having a bike in the aisle.  I occasionally want to take a quick nap at a trailhead, check the battery, retrieve some piece of gear, etc.  And in general I find bikes clumsy to move by hand with pedals ready to snag and a greasy chain ready to make a mark.

Edited by Old Crow, 14 December 2016 - 04:49 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#18 Longbeard87

Longbeard87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:44 PM

Thanks! I meant have them in the aisle just while driving. Appreciate all the tips. I love this site! We got the camper mainly to use as a base at different trail systems...... well.... besides chasing trout and hunting... lol

#19 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:44 PM

This what I use, swings out of the way and moves the bikes to the side of the truck. https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#20 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:31 AM

I put Bike Tights on the rear wall of our Hawk.  We can hang two bikes vertically off the back of the Hawk and still get in the back door.  It's not great, but works until you get to camp. 

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users