• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#11 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:16 AM

Try Northstar, got mine at Batteries Plus, 5 year full replacement warranty.  I have the Group 31.  Ron

Edited by nikonron, 22 December 2016 - 01:18 AM.

#12 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:38 AM

Yeah- the warrantee could be a problem.

Well, I've had mine for 3+ years and still going strong... I wonder if I should take it in though and have them test it.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#13 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 22 December 2016 - 02:59 AM

Well, I've had mine for 3+ years and still going strong... I wonder if I should take it in though and have them test it.

It may not matter as I'm pretty sure they don't make them anymore. A buddy had one go bad and they (Sears) had to find one in another store and it was 3 years old. Mine is 5+ years old and possibly showing sings it may be fading (lights not pegged on control panel anymore), need to take a voltmeter to it this weekend.

I believe they are rebadged Dekas and my local marine parts joint sells Dekas for a little less than what I paid for mine new at Sears, will go that route when mine finally gives up the ghost.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#14 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:43 AM

Had 2 sears batteries and both went dead in a little over a year. I believe they were not getting enough charge, I have a Tacoma. I do believe solar panels with the right controller will charge them and keep them charged.  Ron

#15 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:00 AM

It may not matter as I'm pretty sure they don't make them anymore. A buddy had one go bad and they (Sears) had to find one in another store and it was 3 years old. Mine is 5+ years old and possibly showing sings it may be fading (lights not pegged on control panel anymore), need to take a voltmeter to it this weekend.

I believe they are rebadged Dekas and my local marine parts joint sells Dekas for a little less than what I paid for mine new at Sears, will go that route when mine finally gives up the ghost.

The problem with most of Sear's stuff is they don't make it themselves. It's all re-badged whether it's a battery,cordless tool,refrigerator,etc. - they might stay with one manufacturer for awhile then change for a better price, not necessarily a better product! Unfortunately with deep cell batteries is they do need to be taken care of, especially when not in use. I generally take the negative cable off the battery when it won't be used and charge it from time to time.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#16 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:01 AM

Try Northstar, got mine at Batteries Plus, 5 year full replacement warranty.  I have the Group 31.  Ron

I'll check them out. Thanks.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#17 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:09 AM

I was recently told that all the battery's in the world are made by 5 Manufacturers and they are all relatively the same. I would suggest buy from a company that has the best service and warranty. Don't get too caught up in the name.

If Costco had AGM's they would be my first choice.

Costco Canada

http://www.costco.ca....100291701.html

so I'm sure the USA has them too.

http://www.exide.com... non spread.pdf

Edited by Bill D, 22 December 2016 - 06:27 AM.

#18 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:04 PM

As mentioned in an earlier post, I went with Optima Blue Top deep cycle batteries.  I've looked for an article I read 18+months ago, but was unable to locate it with Google.  The article discussed Optima's design and proprietary circuity permitting a deeper discharge and ability to recover faster than other brands of 12V batteries.  Recovery is the critical spec IMO.  Not only time to FULLY recover but to what percentage of recovery in a given amount of time if the charge is removed.

I have always used Interstate deep cycle batteries in my flats boat.  I have an onboard AC charger connected to a 12V dedicated crank and  2x12V connected in series for the trolling motor.  Interstate are good batteries.  But, as I found on many fishing trips, arriving at a shore charging station well after dark and removing the charge well before sunrise, left the batteries in less than a full state.  After about 3 or 4 days of this kind of recharging, I was getting less then 3 hours use out of the trolling motor batteries.  I thought that was just standard for battery operation/charging and learned to live with out while out on multi-day fishing trips.

Until I went looking for batteries for my camper.  Digital circuitry and firmware inside a AGM battery will ultimately determine how long the battery takes to charge, sensitivity to the charge current and the life span of the battery.  Using solar or an alternator (which I still believe should not be considered a battery charger, but rather, a battery maintainer) as the primary source of charging will also play a significant role in charge state and longevity of the batteries.   Such methods are known as "opportunity charging".  Shore power (AC) is know as "controlled charging".

Such being the case, why not look for a battery that is designed to go deeper and recharge faster during "opportunity" charging? Shore power (AC) should always be used whenever available regardless the time plugged in.

I now have Optima Blue Tops for my boat's trolling motor.  I've been that impressed with the batteries in my camper!

I have no relationship what-so-ever with Optima.  Just a very satisfied customer.

All that being said, I wish I could afford four Optima Redtop 6V batteries connect in series for my camper.   I would likely double my "no charge" battery life cycle.  

Just in case someone is curious...here's how to connect 4x 6V batteries for a 12V house battery system.

Screenshot_2016_12_22_07_02_18.png

Edited by Advmoto18, 22 December 2016 - 04:43 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#19 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:32 PM

I had 4 Optima Blue Tops. 2 for my trolling motor(still have these), 1 for starting my boat (lasted 7 years), 1 in the truck( lasted 6 years). The oldest of which are now 8 years old and doing fine. But mine were the Made in USA Optima's. Made before Johnson Controls bought Optima and moved production to Mexico. I've read and heard of so many issues with the newer imported ones I won't buy them again. I have replaced 2 of mine in the last year or so with Group 24 AGM's and they work well and were much cheaper.

My next question for the OP. Why set on AGM's? For a camper battery they still make sealed lead acid batteries that have most of the desirable features of an AGM like no spill or venting. But they hold more juice and are much cheaper. I recently put a group 31 Powersonic sealed lead acid in my camper and love it.

http://www.wanderthe...d-thread/page-4

#20 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:42 PM

I had 4 Optima Blue Tops. 2 for my trolling motor(still have these), 1 for starting my boat (lasted 7 years), 1 in the truck( lasted 6 years). The oldest of which are now 8 years old and doing fine. But mine were the Made in USA Optima's. Made before Johnson Controls bought Optima and moved production to Mexico. I've read and heard of so many issues with the newer imported ones I won't buy them again. I have replaced 2 of mine in the last year or so with Group 24 AGM's and they work well and were much cheaper.

I have the USA made (pre-Johnson ownership and move to Mexico) Optimas in my boat.

Mexico made Optimas in the camper.  No issues going on 20 months.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Agreed...no compelling reason to choose glass mat over flooded.

South Carolina Low Country.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users