• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:57 PM

I know the fashionable "Overland" crowd seem to favour very expensive Zarges aluminum boxes or heavy & expensive Pelican cases, but I have generally used less expensive options.

For the last few years I have been mainly using Rubbermaid ActionPackers:

rubbermaid_action_packer_storage_box_101

However they are a little bulky and not the most efficient shape, plus it is getting harder and harder to find them at a decent price. I was at a local sporting goods superstore recently and saw a display of Plano storage trunks. The smallest was a very handy size (24" x 15" x 13") and seemed to be made of thicker stronger plastic than the ActionPacker resulting in a more efficient shape (less curves and contours required to add strength and single ply lid). However at $30 they seemed rather expensive. Once I got home, I found the same product for $15.97 CDN (about $12 USD) at Walmart.ca . http://www.planomold...uty-black-trunk 

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/plano-storage-trunk/6000066423343

This model does not have the optional O ring seal, but I am pretty sure I can retrofit some bulk weatherstripping.

1069878.jpg

I purchase 6 with free shipping from Walmart.ca online so I hope they turn out to be as useful and reliable as I think. I have several other Plano products (mainly ammo boxes) and have been please with them. 

Has anyone else used these boxes?  

Cheers

OutbacKamper

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:58 PM

Keep us posted on the boxes. They look like they would come in handy!

I am haunted by waters

#3 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:36 PM

CC32_solid_Royal_stack_3PKS.jpg?v=146361

On the other end of the spectrum as far as durability is concerned, I use these. $10 each from Costco.  No lid.  Great for firewood, shoes, jackets etc. and taking food on picnics.  We often start a journey with dry goods in here and then tuck the crate away when no longer needed.

What I found to be most amazing is they stack on top of one another when in use, or not in use.

I've had them loaded and stacked 3 high and drove on potholed gravel and they didn't budge.

I have action packers as well, but I don't use them in the FWC due to lack of stack-ability.  The shape wastes a lot of space and the lid is always in the way.  They are a great product, but I think they need a design update.

Those Planos look great!!! Tough, nice shape, great use of space.  They look like the stack nicely and seriously lock in place.  It also looks like you can put the lid nicely underneath the to get the lid out of the way.

I look forward to your review.  I think you picked a winner OutbacKamper!

Edited by Bill D, 31 December 2016 - 11:38 PM.

#4 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:17 AM

Still using my Action Packers that I originally purchased 25 years ago in 1991!  :D

I've looked at other products, but have not found a compelling reason to change.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#5 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:20 AM

CC32_solid_Royal_stack_3PKS.jpg?v=146361

On the other end of the spectrum as far as durability is concerned, I use these. $10 each from Costco.  No lid.  Great for firewood, shoes, jackets etc. and taking food on picnics.  We often start a journey with dry goods in here and then tuck the crate away when no longer needed.

What I found to be most amazing is they stack on top of one another when in use, or not in use.

I've had them loaded and stacked 3 high and drove on potholed gravel and they didn't budge.

I have action packers as well, but I don't use them in the FWC due to lack of stack-ability.  The shape wastes a lot of space and the lid is always in the way.  They are a great product, but I think they need a design update.

Those Planos look great!!! Tough, nice shape, great use of space.  They look like the stack nicely and seriously lock in place.  It also looks like you can put the lid nicely underneath the to get the lid out of the way.

I look forward to your review.  I think you picked a winner OutbacKamper!

Those Clever Crates look like a great product. I have not seen them before, so thanks for posting. I think a couple of those would be great to take to the grocery store and use for extra/bulky food storage in the camper until it is used then fold and pack away. I was thinking of using some kind of rectanguler fabric bag for this purpose, but the Clever Crates look more multifunctional. As you say, they could also be used for firewood, muddy boots, etc.

The Plano boxes will most likely not be used in the camper. I usually have several boxes of gear in the back of the cab that I unload and leave outside while camping. Something that is weather resistant and sturdy enough to use as a seat. The great think about them is that they will, hopefully,  be weather proof enough (after adding a weatherstip) to use on a roof rack or cargo carrier as well.

Edited by OutbacKamper, 01 January 2017 - 02:22 AM.

#6 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for posting info about Clever Crates!  I had not seen collapsible crates such as those.  Off to Costco this AM to take at look at them!

I've been using Front Runner Wolfpack crates for some time but always looking for other storage ideas.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#7 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:25 PM

Still using my Action Packers that I originally purchased 25 years ago in 1991!  :D

I've looked at other products, but have not found a compelling reason to change.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm in this camp. Although I agree with OutbacKamper's comments, we use action packers and they work well for us. They fit in our camper perfectly. The shape actually works to our advantage as we stuff long items along side them in the space left near the floor. Having said that, it's always interesting to see new ideas.

More pics here: http://travelswithro...r-one-year.html

IMG_0936.jpg

Edited by takesiteasy, 02 January 2017 - 02:23 AM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#8 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:39 PM

IMG_0936.jpg

I have used my ActionPackers on the floor, in a previous camper and a camper shell, in the same way and they worked well. However, after years of having to unpack and organize the camper, prior to entering, I have made a vow to myself to not travel with anything stored on the floor of my new camper. Time will tell if I am able to make it work, but I am determined to simplify my camping setup.

Edited by OutbacKamper, 01 January 2017 - 10:40 PM.

#9 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:25 AM

I agree- the schlepping of boxes is a pain and I endorse your approach. We usually don't have so many boxes in the camper, most times just one large and one small one. If we didn't have our dog traveling in the back seat area, we would use that area and not have to move them to get in the camper. They usually come out when we camp in any event since we do our cooking and living mostly outside. They get stored in the truck at night.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#10 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:38 AM

Action Lockers are a nice product, but keep in mind they don't stack, which is why I no longer use them. The Plano storage trunks are stackable, but are a little larger. Because they have straight sides they hold quite a bit more.

My experience so far, and I also try to have nothing on the camper floor except my Torklift scissor steps.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users