34 replies to this topic

#1 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:28 AM

Where does the age show up first?

What screws rust, where did delamination occur first, which hinges needed replacing first, how long before water pump, refrigerator or furnace needed parts or replacement ... etc, etc?

A comprehensive input from everyone could help our rigs last longer and look better over time.

#2 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:25 AM

Some of the roof latches are rusting and yet others show no sign of it.Treating the rusty ones with corrosion block spray seems to help. Weather stripping is losing its profile allowing water intrusion. the worst was the front seal for the roof when its shut. Repaired by inserting a small dia. length of vacuum line into the hollow section to return it to the original shape/size. The clear plastic on the windows is shrinking, velcro barely seals at the top. If it gets any worst I have to remedy.

#3 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

We store our camper inside but use the camper over 150 nights a year and so we have a different wear pattern than others.  Meanwhile, FWC changes the design and materials routinely.  Also, our camper is simple without a refrig, solar system, water system.  Also, our camper was never exposed to salt.  Four years and 600 nights of wear:

-  After one year, we repaired the seat (couch) cushion fabric by reinforcing the inside corners.

-  After three years, we replace the seat (couch) cushions.  I suspect FWC does not use our fabric anymore.

- One long run of external black trim came off while traveling and was reinstalled.

- The paper covered interior wood is shedding the paper on the roof because of condensation and staining everywhere else.  My understanding is FWC switched to "painted" wood.

-The camper door window seal leaked because the oem sealant did not have a continuous bead.  We added caulk.

- The camper started "walking" around the truck bed as the oem turnbuckle system did not work on our slick truck bed and so we shimmed the camper against the bed wheel wells with good results. 

- The camper underside needs a coat of paint because the original paint was thin which we will do when we replace the truck in another four years (our camper stays on full time).  FWC uses a different wood for the underside.

- The new composite roof lift panels have a slight bend at the top hinge because of the recess cut at the hinge.  My guess is they will fail after the warranty ends.

The OEM batteries are still going strong (Exide?) but we do not have a heavy electric load since we deleted the refrig and water system.  The furnace is trouble free but we do not run the furnace at night (too loud).  The exterior vinyl has no leaks and initially wears rapidly (break in) and then does not change.  We fold the vinyl the same way for all 600 nights.  The "new" one piece roof has no leaks and no screws since we have a "slick" top.

The good news: we "payed off" the camper in usage.  We estimate the economic value of each travel day at $100 less $50 in expenses (coast-to-coast travel, gasoline, campground fee, park entrance fee, no food).  600 nights "earns" $30,000 while our camper cost $17,000 including sales tax and shipping.  Economics was my favorite topic in college (my degree is chemical engineering) and I spent most of my career working in economics.  The economic value of a travel day at $100 is low since two people would spend $200-$500+ on foreign travel or cruise ships or...  The "cost" of the truck is neutral since our heavy duty 4x4 regular cab work truck cost the same or less than a Subaru SUV which is the alternate no FWC vehicle for a day hiking traveler who lives in snow country.

Our camper is simple (no refrig, no water system, no solar, no salt exposure, slick roof, stored inside) but still requires steady attention but delivers good value.  We have no regrets on our choice and still feel the alternatives (class B camping vans, hardside truck campers, trailers...) all come up short compared to our rig given our purpose of camping and hiking coast-to-coast.

Wow! Awesome input. Thank you so much. 

... You too Beach. Your input is what I was really hoping for since a lot of my time is spent at the beach surfing.

Keep the upkeep info. coming. I feel this could help everyone (including FWC's themselves) a LOT.

#4 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:58 PM

Use model, camper age, use environment are factors in an evaluation.  My camper is 8.5 years old.  Kept outside in the wet and cold Northwest.  It is always on the truck.  Used about 5-8 full weeks out of a year.  It was bought as a Eagle shell and I did all of the inside work (cabinets, etc.)

Our rig has been very reliable.  Here's a few factory item issues:

• Had to replace the Atwood furnace at about 7 years (too many failures)
  • Roof clamps are starting to rust
  • The paint is peeling from the aluminum siding along the edge near the back door (small area).  Apparently a known issue.
  • Replaced the battery at about year 5 (normal)
  • The wood trim that hold the ceiling pieces up is a bit stained and warped due to condensation and ice that forms there periodically.

That's pretty much it.  For eight years of being outside, that's not bad at all.  I love my camper.

Chris

Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

gallery_5179_277_2109399.jpg

That photo deserves a compliment! Very nice!

I am haunted by waters

#6 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

I can't add much because my Grandby is probably older than some of you (built in 1976).  And the interior was stripped and replaced by a PO before I got it.  The interior was gutted and insulation, walls and ceiling were replaced due to mouse infestation.

But I can add the following:

• The roof doesn't leak.  It looks like someone went after it with a ball-pien hammer but I have found not water intrusion.
  • Still has the original soft sides.  Again looks like crap and it has a number of small repairs but it doesn't leak.
  • The clear plastic 'windows' have shrunk so the velcro barely attaches in the top middle.
  • Rain was being forced in through the front between the roof and overhang when driving in the rain.  A compressed rubber gasket solved that issue.
  • Front lift panels were replaced by PO.  I will be replacing them this winter.
  • Rear lift panels are original (I think).  The are very brittle and are delaminating.  I am worried about them failing so they are to be replaced this winter.
  • After lifting the roof I support it with 2X4s so it cannot collapse.  I also added 40 lb struts in the inside front, since I have 35 lb of solar panels in front.
  • All the (old style) latches have been repaired and the two front ones (has 6) were replaced by me.  The four old ones are rusty but still work.
  • I have had to rebuild the door as it rotted on the bottom from the (old style) rear window leaking.  The window leak was also fixed.
  • The main floor is still original with no protective coating on the underside.  PO installed linoleum covering the whole floor inside.  The floor is soft; I would not dare step into the camper with the floor unsupported.
  • One corner of the floor about 8" diameter was rotted where the rear door leaked.  It was repaired with Minwax Wood Hardener.  Holding up OK.
  • The camper is not air tight.  I think it is the louver windows.  I do not get any water intrusion, even in driving rain.
  • The aluminum sides look old, have a number of scrapes and patches; but again no leaks.
  • Some of the edging has been replaced with aluminum angle.
  • I have an old (1982) Norcold refrigerator.  Still keeps things cold.  Uses > 40 AH per day (25 AH in 70ºF).  I added  36 sq.in. of forced air ventilation in the back and it helped a lot.
  • I do not have a water system, furnace, stove, or sink, so I cannot comment on those.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

Use model, camper age, use environment are factors in an evaluation.  My camper is 8.5 years old.  Kept outside in the wet and cold Northwest.  It is always on the truck.  Used about 5-8 full weeks out of a year.  It was bought as a Eagle shell and I did all of the inside work (cabinets, etc.)

Our rig has been very reliable.  Here's a few factory item issues:

• Had to replace the Atwood furnace at about 7 years (too many failures)

• Roof clamps are starting to rust

• The paint is peeling from the aluminum siding along the edge near the back door (small area).  Apparently a known issue.

• Replaced the battery at about year 5 (normal)

• The wood trim that hold the ceiling pieces up is a bit stained and warped due to condensation and ice that forms there periodically.

That's pretty much it.  For eight years of being outside, that's not bad at all.  I love my camper.

Chris

Totally agree with Chris...as is often the case an issue with a FWC is discussed without stating the model [with options listed], year, amount of use, how stored and in what environment was it used...without this basis there can't be an accurate comparison or discussion of issues.  Often just apples vs oranges.

Oh...that photo is awesome...where was it taken?

Phil

#8 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:21 PM

Totally agree with Chris...as is often the case an issue with a FWC is discussed without stating the model [with options listed], year, amount of use, how stored and in what environment was it used...without this basis there can't be an accurate comparison or discussion of issues.  Often just apples vs oranges.

Oh...that photo is awesome...where was it taken?

Phil

My intent wasn't to compare year models or others wear to others ... although stating year model and what it is subjected to should be stated. The purpose of this thread is to maybe let others know what to look for and compensate for ahead of time. It might save somebody a lot of headache and money. 

#9 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:29 PM

On my 2014 Eagle I've had the front lift panel and the co/propane detector replaced. Since my camper is on full time and I part outside the roof is hail pocked but doesn't leak.

Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#10 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:14 AM

I'm noticing the vinyl window shrinkage as well on my 2012 Eagle. I need to put a coat of paint on the wood bottom. I don't think that has been done since new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users