#11 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:20 PM

Anderson connector to connect to Airstream

To connect the solar panel output on my Dodge to the solar charge controller in my Airstream, I bought from www.alliedelec.com a few of the smallest two pole Anderson Power Product connector housings available, SB 50 in yellow rated at 50 amps (Mfg. part # 992G5-BK, Allied stock # 70162093) at $1.55 each. These were just bare housings, so you must also buy the contacts that go inside them (2 per housing), in my case for 10/12 gauge wires (Mfg. part # 5915BK high detent, Allied # 70162090) at $0.71 each.  I also bought two red dust covers to protect these bare connectors (Mfg. # 134G1, Allied # 70161973) at $7.07 each, a good investment to keep the contacts clean when not attached together.

It was difficult for me to find locally in Denver any flexible 10 gauge 2 wire cable, so I ordered it online. I bought at 88 cents per foot from www.wireandcalbetogo.com 60 feet of their 110/2 SJOOW Portable Cord 300V UL/CSA (item # SJO10s2) to wire the Airstream’s solar controller to the Dodge and have 30’ left over to wire a third portable 100 watt solar panel to the Airstream when it was parked unattached to the Dodge.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Anderson connector components.jpg
  • Anderson connector bracket and plug for Dodge rear bumper.jpg

#12 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:27 PM

Mounting Anderson connector on Dodge rear bumper

With this DPDT switch and the Anderson connectors, I can now charge the 12 volt AGM battery in either my Alaskan or in my Airstream when traveling down the highway or parked together at a camp site. When away from my Airstream in my Dodge, I can attach a single 100 watt portable solar panel to the Airstream to charge its battery.        

The photo below shows the Anderson connector on its bracket mounted to the rear bumper of my Dodge truck. The "C" section of the bracket wraps around the forward edge of the rear bumper then the elevator bolt goes through a hole in the bumper for a trailer ball and holds the bracket tightly in place.  The red rubber cover keeps dirt and grit out of the Anderson connector when not in use.

Attached Thumbnails

• Anderson connector mounted on Dodge rear bumper.jpg

Edited by Denver Alaskan, 11 January 2017 - 10:33 PM.

#13 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:13 AM

Mounting Anderson connector on Dodge rear bumper

With this DPDT switch and the Anderson connectors, I can now charge the 12 volt AGM battery in either my Alaskan or in my Airstream when traveling down the highway or parked together at a camp site. When away from my Airstream in my Dodge, I can attach a single 100 watt portable solar panel to the Airstream to charge its battery.        

The photo below shows the Anderson connector on its bracket mounted to the rear bumper of my Dodge truck. The "C" section of the bracket wraps around the forward edge of the rear bumper then the elevator bolt goes through a hole in the bumper for a trailer ball and holds the bracket tightly in place.  The red rubber cover keeps dirt and grit out of the Anderson connector when not in use.

Which Airstream do you have? We pull a 25 Flying Cloud FB

I am haunted by waters

#14 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:25 AM

Which Airstream do you have? We pull a 25 Flying Cloud FB

It's a 1953 Airstream, 21’ Flying Cloud s/n O-3001, the very first production Airstream trailer made in their then brand new Jackson Center, Ohio plant. I have your great, great grandfather. :)

#15 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:33 AM

Just 59 years difference... Minor differences ;)

I am haunted by waters

#16 noteven

noteven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAlberta summer & western USA winter.

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:59 AM

Thanks Denver Alaskan
1974 Alaskan 10’ CO

#17 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:22 PM

Nicely done! 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#18 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 25 October 2018 - 01:37 AM

Nice job upgrading your camper!  Lots of work.

I'm wondering how the Sears 31M hybrid starting/storage battery is holding up

When camping do you know how much the battery discharges overnight before recharging with solar or whatever?

I noted that you have a BlueSky solar controller but I did not see a reference to a battery monitor.  Do you have a battery monitor as well so you can keep track of the state of charge of the battery?

Do you camp off the grid and rely mostly on solar or do you routinely use other electrical sources?

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#19 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 04:13 AM

Nice job upgrading your camper!  Lots of work.

I'm wondering how the Sears 31M hybrid starting/storage battery is holding up

When camping do you know how much the battery discharges overnight before recharging with solar or whatever?

I noted that you have a BlueSky solar controller but I did not see a reference to a battery monitor.  Do you have a battery monitor as well so you can keep track of the state of charge of the battery?

Do you camp off the grid and rely mostly on solar or do you routinely use other electrical sources? Craig

Hi Craig:

Thanks, glad you like my Alaskan improvements. The Sears Die Hard Advanced Gold model 50033 Group 31M Marine AGM battery is holding up very well after 3 years. I usually park my 1992 Dodge CTD truck in the sun, so the two 100 watt solar panels recharge the battery nearly every day, keeping it topped off. 

As you noticed, I do not have a battery monitor in my 12 volt solar electrical system. I just rely on the Blue Sky Energy Sun Charger 30 Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) solar charge controller, which is set to alternately show charging amperage and battery voltage every other 5 seconds.  Even with the refrigerator running (in short intervals) all night long, the only draw, the battery voltage never drops below 12.0 volts overnight.  After a few hours of rising morning sun, the battery is quickly back to 12.7 volts.

The only other equipment attached to the battery are two 12 volt cigarette lighter sockets for recharging and the two very low amperage LED flexible lights. Typically only one LED stalk light is on for a few minutes when I'm preparing to go to bed, or occasionally slightly longer when I read in bed. Its electrical draw is insignificant. Charging a family radio handset, cell phone or Surface Pro 3 laptop computer during the daytime is, as a practical matter, handled by the two 100 watt solar panels rather than the battery. My 12 volt electrical needs are so small that a battery monitor is unnecessary.  I have a third 100 watt solar panel that I can add to my solar panel roof array but have never felt a need for it.

My Alaskan battery is not attached to my truck's 12 volt electrical system, so it is never charged by my truck. Those two 12 volt electrical systems are wholly separate. The Alaskan battery's only source of charging are the two 100 watt solar panels. Somewhat conversely, my Alaskan Group 31M battery is the same size as my truck's single battery, so if my truck's battery ever dies while boondocking I can swap in the Alaskan battery to start the mighty Cummins engine.  

I always camp "off grid", even when parked in a campground, because I have disconnected my 120 volt A.C. electrical system, removed its outside input plug and covered it with a solid plate. I'm wholly 12 volts and self-contained wherever I go. I never need and cannot plug into or use any 120 volt A.C. electricity. I'm blessed to live in Colorado and camp mostly in the Intermountain West, where the sun usually shines and the sky is not cloudy all day. :D       

Edited by Denver Alaskan, 25 October 2018 - 04:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users