12 replies to this topic

#11 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:02 PM

Welcome Amy,

You have an excellent combination, and it will do just fine on 4WD trails. We put 150,000 miles on our first Tacoma/FWC combination, and are on our second now. (We also do extensive work in the desert.)

I'm not a big fan of add-on helper springs such as the Hellwig; however, if your current combination supports the weight of the camper (with water, luggage, etc.) and levels the truck, and you leave the camper on all the time, you might do okay. Don't worry about air bags if you leave the camper on. For shocks, you have several good choices. The Bilsteins mentioned are good, as are the heavy-duty Old Man Emus from Australia. You can spend a lot more, for example on the superb new OME BP51s, which are adjustable, and due to the internal bypass feature combine a superior ride with proper damping. Shocks will do at least as much as the springs to ensure safe handling, so don't scrimp.

You might find some information on Overland Tech and Travel that will help. Search for JATAC.

#12 AMY1975

AMY1975

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

Wow! Thank you all for the great information! Everyone's advice has been so helpful!

Old man emu also recommended new stronger U-joints and front coils...any thoughts on this?  

#13 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:13 PM

Wow! Thank you all for the great information! Everyone's advice has been so helpful!

Old man emu also recommended new stronger U-joints and front coils...any thoughts on this?  

We've never had a problem with the stock U-joints. And I think the stock front coils are too stiff to begin with. I left them in place, and we have an ARB bumper and winch. I did replace the front shocks though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shocks, leaf springs, suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users