Photo
- - - - -

What is under roll over couch (and other fine details)?

FWC roll over couch swift

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 adamxcl

adamxcl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe/Albuquerque Area, NM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:19 AM

I am looking pretty seriously at Four Wheel Campers (about to take a long drive to look in person) but in all the hours looking at photos, videos and sites, I haven't been able to find super fine detail. Like...the big roll over couch is a lot of space. What is underneath it? Is it empty? Is is all storage? Do certain options go in there? Can I just modify that whole camper side if I want to? I am looking at Swift (or older Finch) models, probably just ordering a Swift soon, so it's the smallest.

Also, as a tinkerer who is bound to change something, I would love to have a more detailed plan as to where all the options might go in the unit. Where is the water heater, the propane, the extra battery and so on. I know they have the big general diagram with the basic obvious stuff that I can see in any photo but where do other options go?

Previously, I did my own solar setup and built my own solar hot water system as well (which would impact on whether I buy a water heater or not) but like to start thinking ahead to know what I am looking for too.

Thank you for any pointers,
Adam

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:23 AM

... Like...the big roll over couch is a lot of space. What is underneath it? Is it empty? Is is all storage? ...

Thank you for any pointers,
Adam

Yes, it's a big empty storage space under the roll-over couch.  

It's my primary storage spot for stuff that I don't need to get at all the time.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 wi_hawk

wi_hawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGB, WI

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:30 AM

When ordering my Hawk storage was a big issue,it keeps the area more open.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Wander The West mobile app

#4 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:34 AM

Hi Adamxcl,

When considering the inside space of a FWC/ATC camper be sure to get you brain in gear.

There is a LOT of optical delusion in how much storage space you may find.

I am a relatively new owner of a Hawk and I found it particularly hard to get any real structural rendering from FWC before my purchase of a near new second hand unit.

When you are in the unit, or looking at photos, make sure to poke around a bit and see how small things really are.

You are sitting within a 4 foot wide (or smaller) sandbox from the window height down .

Much of this 4 foot width may be taken by mechanical/electrical systems and also by the aisle itself.

The typical drivers side build of stove, refer, sink etc can lead the minds eye to think the inside storage of all that base cabinet space is the same as the kitchen at home. 

I don;t want to disparage you....we very much like our Hawk for many other reasons than abundant storage space. 

Pare down and simplify your needs and these campers really shine.

Just my thoughts.

DavidGraves

North Oregon coast 

#5 scappoosebrad

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationScappoose, OR

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:45 AM

Adam,

In lieu of that "long drive" you are considering to see first hand, I would ask on this website about members who may live in you local area and willing(probably all) to have you come by and "take a tour" in person... there seem to be 4wh folks all over the west... good luck in your search...definitely try the local option first ... name your town and ask who is "in the neighborhood"... go for it...

#6 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:30 PM

In the case of my Eagle that space under the couch has a step in it. That's where the camper base steps over the wheel wells. It does intrude on that space some. In a Finch I would think that space like my Eagle would be about 10-12" wide and the length and height of the seat base.

#7 adamxcl

adamxcl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

Thanks! Very good points. Good to hear there is open space in there. I thought maybe it was filled with system stuff but that does seem to be all one side, which makes me wonder about weight but that is another story. I know it is paring down. I currently have a Sprinter van based rig with modified suspension among other changes, have had for years but it still just doesn't get me places that I really want to go. My business is camping related research and I need to "work" more in certain places.

It would be great if there were more structural details somewhere from FWC or even other owners. I was able to find some more pics and one video that helped a little with location of things. Some guy actually opened all the spaces in a camper, something they should have on the FWC site. With my Sprinter RV, I was able to find details on just about every wire, option and detail which made tearing things apart much easier.  If it doesn't exist, than I might just have to create my own to share. :)

I will try a post about the local area. I am in the Santa Fe/Albuquerque/New Mexico area and that thought occurred to me as well. I know they have customers somewhere around me here. One FWC dealer is coming to a show in a month but then it's usually only a couple of models, and the orders will just be that much more delayed. So getting a little anxious to order and be able to get by early summer.

#8 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

Mine is an ATC not a FWC, and it is just a shell with a couch, but I did just make a web post that inventoried my couch storage. It would give you and idea of how much can be stored there. The biggest thing is to know if you are going to have a battery or not. 

https://sierrashadow...itchen-cabinet/

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#9 adamxcl

adamxcl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

Nice site Bseek. Bookmarked for further reading! And yeah, I would add a extra battery so that takes up a little more space.

Edited by adamxcl, 19 January 2017 - 06:37 PM.

#10 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:43 AM

I have 2 Batteries (for solar) under there...all the bed linens, our kitchen table top, 2 Kermit chairs, a Bag of truck leveling pieces,  stuff sack of 2 sets rain gear and an extra grill top . I took off the back of the roll over couch (in the attic) as it blocked the window and it is added weight. If I ever do solo I can put it on so to have a lower bunk and not use the top. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, roll over couch, swift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users